Notifications
Clear all

Omega-3 - Fish Oil Supplements? Do They Actually Work?

MemberMember
(@sassypants)

Posted : 09/20/2014 4:15 pm

Hello, I have moderate acne that is usually on the middle of my forehead, the lower part of my cheeks, and on my chin. My acne consists of mainly painful papules. I was doing research on omega 3 supplements and found that they have worked for some people. I am willing to try them out but I have a few questions:

How much EPA and DHA should you be getting in order to help decrease acne inflammation?

How long until I start seeing results, if they actually work for me?

If you take omega 3 supplements, which brand do you use?

MemberMember
(@majorpackerfan)

Posted : 09/27/2014 3:18 pm

Well it certainly won't hurt! Omega 3 is an anti inflammatory nutrient that reduces body inflammation and is great for overall health!

My belief it that if you keep a healthy body, mind, and soul your acne will heal on its own.

I take a liquid because I cannot swallow pills but any type of pill would work.

I also would recommend taking pro biotics as they put the good bacteria back into your system which helps with digestive health and studies show that good digestive health leads to good skin.

Good luck Sister! We will always have the fight with acne, but in the end it makes us stronger people.

MemberMember
(@wikkid)

Posted : 10/07/2014 4:24 pm

Omega 3 fish oil is a mild 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, meaning it will decrease dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in men. DHT is a strong androgen, far stronger than testosterone, therefore it causes hormonal acne in men. Omega 3 also helps your cardiovascular system, makes your blood thinner, but I do not see a way how thinner blood would benefit acne. I take 3 capsules a day (= 930mg EPA, 615mg DHA a day in total) and it clears maybe 2-3% of my acne, barely noticeable, I might even be imagining the difference I'm not sure. And for females I dont see a way this would help at all, other than general well being, but I might be wrong.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/07/2014 4:47 pm

I agree that it's worth a try. I however think that for many of us, one supplement will not make a big difference so you probably have to look at the overall picture:

diet

stress lvel

exercise

skin care routine

supplements

I have tried putting all my eggs in the supplment basket and i've been disappointed each and every time.

MemberMember
(@majorpackerfan)

Posted : 10/08/2014 2:03 am

I agree that it's worth a try. I however think that for many of us, one supplement will not make a big difference so you probably have to look at the overall picture:

diet

stress lvel

exercise

skin care routine

supplements

I have tried putting all my eggs in the supplment basket and i've been disappointed each and every time.

She is totally right! Balance is key, relying on one thing in any cirumstance is bad.

I currently am going through Aramis laser, taking Minocyclin, and topical clyndmacin.

But I know that is not enough on its own, so I also avoid Dairy and Gluten to help with inflammation, plus take Zinc (for overall skin health), Omega 3 fatty acids (for fatty acid balance), and probitoics (to help with antibiotic side effects).

And quite frankly that may not be enough, so I wash twice a day, and drink PLENTY of water. General rule of thumb is 10 cups (but I just look at my urine, that should tell you whats up white=good, yellow=more water)

The life of an acne sufferer is strict, but someday we will rid ourselves of this horrible skin condition!

MemberMember
(@freshpowder)

Posted : 10/17/2014 9:41 pm

I recommend you look into "Fermented Cod Liver Oil" and "High Vitamin Butter Fat" for your source of omega 3, 6, 7, 9, etc., and vitamins A, D/D3, Calcium, K2 (which prevents the A and D from becoming toxic), etc. .

Trust me, it will save you the trouble of learning 'fish oil pills' are 'crap' and don't work long term (same as synthetic vitamin d3), the hard way.

Huge help. Necessary things for clear skin. Not a 'cure-all' though.