Almost 25, Had Acne...

Notifications
Clear all

Almost 25, Had Acne Since The Age Of 8

MemberMember
(@hotaru)

Posted : 09/19/2014 8:08 pm

Yes, you heard me. 8. The tender innocent age of 8. Before puberty, during puberty, after puberty. My father had it, my mother STILL has it. I have it everywhere: face, neck, chest, back, butt, legs, arms. I've tried everything: ProActiv, AcneFree, Accutane, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, Clearasil, EVERYTHING. It has prevented me from wearing clothes I like, bathing suits I like, etc. It is one of the many reasons I battle anxiety and depression. I've never been intimate with anyone. Makeup causes more breakouts. I've developed a picking habit that's not just gonna will itself away. My skin goes from oily to dry in a matter of hours. This is my regimen:

AcneFree twice daily, all three steps. Use the same towel to gently dry and it is used by no one else during the week. Towel washed weekly. I use Head and Shoulders for shampoo (yes, I have dandruff, too!) and I try not to get it on my face. I have short hair, so I don't have to worry about it touching my face. Occasionally, when I feel dry, I use Olay moisturizer and Blistex lip balm. My diet isn't that great, but it's better than most people's. I take anxiety meds and hormone control meds.

Point is, I've tried everything over the years (diet, exercise, medicine, even tanning booths) and nothing works. Can someone point me in the direction of a miracle, please? I'd like to not have to deal with this horror anymore. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 09/23/2014 2:41 am

Wrong thread...

MemberMember
(@stephcc)

Posted : 09/23/2014 12:42 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 25, my first blemish was at age 9 and I began to chronically break out bad at age 12 and onward. I've done 2 course of Accutane (one HS and one college) and countless otc face washes and creams.

1.What does your dermatologist say? When did you go to see him/her last? I am on a new drug called Bactrim and in a month my face has cleared dramatically. Still a work in progress though. Also I like pure apple vinegar as a spot treatment and with the drug it's helped some of the cystic ones too even. I'm going to do it another couple months and then re-evaluate to consider another possible round of Accutane.

2. Don't give up, drink 3 liters+ of water per day, work out and as the person above said, you are what you eat. I've started the app MyFitnessPal again because it tracks nutrition and what you lack or overdo.

3. Accept that you deserve friendships and relationships like anyone else without acne. There are people who love you and see beyond your breakouts.

3. This is your life and you can take measures to get to the best you can be. I've accepted I may not have PERFECT skin, maybe not ever, but I sure am going to try my best to feel confident again. Do you conceal redness w/tinted moisturizer or makeup? This can really help confidence too.

Best of luck to you and things will get better!!

MemberMember
(@paigers)

Posted : 09/25/2014 7:32 pm

Yes, you heard me. 8. The tender innocent age of 8. Before puberty, during puberty, after puberty. My father had it, my mother STILL has it. I have it everywhere: face, neck, chest, back, butt, legs, arms. I've tried everything: ProActiv, AcneFree, Accutane, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, Clearasil, EVERYTHING. It has prevented me from wearing clothes I like, bathing suits I like, etc. It is one of the many reasons I battle anxiety and depression. I've never been intimate with anyone. Makeup causes more breakouts. I've developed a picking habit that's not just gonna will itself away. My skin goes from oily to dry in a matter of hours. This is my regimen:

AcneFree twice daily, all three steps. Use the same towel to gently dry and it is used by no one else during the week. Towel washed weekly. I use Head and Shoulders for shampoo (yes, I have dandruff, too!) and I try not to get it on my face. I have short hair, so I don't have to worry about it touching my face. Occasionally, when I feel dry, I use Olay moisturizer and Blistex lip balm. My diet isn't that great, but it's better than most people's. I take anxiety meds and hormone control meds.

Point is, I've tried everything over the years (diet, exercise, medicine, even tanning booths) and nothing works. Can someone point me in the direction of a miracle, please? I'd like to not have to deal with this horror anymore. Thank you.

Hello! I know your pain. While acne can be a HUGE self esteem and confidence killer, try to remember that there is nothing wrong with acne, and that it is completely human to have. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about, and anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth it! Try not to let it get you down. You'll get through it!

Anyways, judging by your list of used products, I'd recommend maybe taking a more "all-natural" approach. You seem to be using / have used a lot of harsher chemical regimens, and perhaps it just doesn't suit your skin type. Of course, you don't have to, but I'd recommend at least trying something organic or all natural or with essential oils in it (like tea tree oil) for a few weeks. My favorite "all natural" products are Lush Cosmetic's Herbalism facewash and Yesto Tomato Moisturizer.

A few tips that I use to help calm my acne:

- drink A LOT of water. A LOT.

- cut out dairy and sugars from your diet

- avoid processed and greasy foods

- sleep on a clean pillowcase or towel EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. seriously, when I began doing this the huge breakouts I got (seemingly overnight) all over my cheeks VANISHED.

- don't EVER pick at your skin. please. this is the biggest no-no for acne. not only can you make it worse by popping incorrectly, you can cause it to spread, scar, scab, and many many other things. let your skin heal itself! it's working just as hard as you are, it doesn't need more irritation on top of that!

Also, considering your parents had/have it, it may be a genetic factor.

I hope you find something that works for you! Remember, it's only human! Try not to let it get to you. You're beautiful with or without it.

MemberMember
(@athleteman)

Posted : 09/26/2014 3:23 am

How is it even possible to get acne at the age of 8? I just don't believe that it can be acne, maybe some rash.. Or who knows, maybe it's true.. anyway, it can be cured, experiment and do research. No acne "medications" necessary to cure acne, you just have to find a way, it's there, if there's a will, there's a way..