Notifications
Clear all

Staph In My Nose Caused My Pimples

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 09/18/2014 5:08 pm

I have removed Staphylococcus aureus from my nose using Triple Antibiotic Ointment and that has eliminated my nose sores and cured me of what I thought was acne but really was folliculitis.

I am a microbiology graduate student and the lab I teach has a Mannitol Salt Agar experiment where we differentiate S. aureus from Staphylococcus epidermidis. S. aureus can ferment the mannitol sugar and that causes a yellowing of the plate. I have known for years that I am a heavy nasal S. aureus carrier; akin to the right side of this MSA plate:

Fed up with semi-monthly noses sores I looked into treatment and came across a publication http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377521 suggesting that Triple Antibiotic Ointment is an effective means of removing Staph from the nose.

I bought the Walgreen's generic brand and applied it 1-2 times a day to both nares using a cotton swab. I tracked S. aureus presence by swabbing my nose and plating it on MSA. After 20 days, I no longer had S. aureus in my nose. Plate one is after 5 days from my left nostril. Plate two is 10 days from my right nostril and plate three is after 20 days from both nares. The Staph was gone and replaced by what I assume is S. epidermidis.

I did that experiment over 3 months ago and no amount of nose picking has given me a nose sore. I haven't gotten a single folliculitis boil since stopping the experiment. I've gotten those boils semi-regularly since high school, and I incorrectly thought it was acne.

My nose has never felt better and my face has never been clearer. Google 'face folliculitis' and see if you are potentially mistaking a Staph infection for acne. Google 'neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment' and you will see people rave about its benefits in dealing already-popped pimples. I've tried that and it worked wonders on reducing redness.

Hormones, genetics, oils, etc. all contribute to pimples, but it is bacteria that causes it. Maybe your nose or ears are reservoirs for Staph that is making a bad situation worse.

A couple months ago I posted a more detailed, cited

account that you can check on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/2t2cpu/elimination_of_staphylococcus_aureus_from_my_nose/

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 09/18/2014 6:30 pm

Oops, it looks like the mods from the Reddit link deleted my post. That would explain the lack of replies

I created a subreddit and pasted that post here http://www.reddit.com/r/Staphacne/comments/2gt6f7/triple_antibiotic_ointment_applied_to_my_nasal/

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 09/18/2014 6:49 pm

So were you only getting spots around your nose, or all over your face?

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 09/18/2014 6:58 pm

All over my face but mostly my lower forehead, cheeks, and chin. I knew I had Staph in the nose but I incorrectly made the association that since the pimples weren't predominantly around my lips, that meant it wasn't coming from them.

I was a HEAVY carrier. I believe I was scratching/touching my nose and touching parts of my face. Those areas were more conducive to Staph causing the boils to develop.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 09/19/2014 7:02 am

This really sounds like it could be what I have. Gonna give the ointment a shot. Thanks.

I read that it spreads and forms "pimples" in damaged skin. I often use the inside of my t-shirt to rub small sections of my face when I get an itch, rather than use my dirty fingers. But a whole bunch of dead skin comes off with it and I sometimes break out in those exact spots afterward. So do you think it'd be a good idea to not dry out one's skin too much, not rub it, and let it heal for a couple weeks?

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 09/19/2014 3:39 pm

I also used my shirt if I needed to scratch my face, but it was when I slipped up and used my fingers was I MUCH more likely to develop a pimple in that spot. S. aureus needs to get into the skin to cause infection, and I believe minimizing micro-tearing should help.

With that said, I've been putting topical benzoyl peroxide on my face for years and while it's very drying, it's one of my few effective acne treatments. Salicylic acid and BP-based face washes were better than nothing but it was when I kept the BP on my face for a better part of the day did I notice significant improvement. If I went through a day without BP, I almost always started developing pimples. I believe I was creating a toxic environment for S. aureus when I would inevitably transfer them from my nose to other parts of my face.

It looks like the publication I previously linked is behind a pay wall. Their study involved 2x a day of TAO into both nostrils for 5 days with a cotton swab. Here's an alternative link to information from that study http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT00997139 .

For me, I put a small glob of TAO onto one end of the swab and applied it all around and as far back as I comfortably could. I switched swab sides and repeated for my other nare. I did that 1-2x a day for one month.

MemberMember
(@arby9)

Posted : 09/30/2014 8:15 am

This is a very interesting study. I have had MRSA and wonder if I still carry it. I have noticed that many times an itch I scratch turns into acne.

Have you still noticed no significant staph in your nose? And do you think it's necessary to continue for a whole month?

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 10/19/2014 12:11 am

This is a very interesting study. I have had MRSA and wonder if I still carry it. I have noticed that many times an itch I scratch turns into acne.

Have you still noticed no significant staph in your nose? And do you think it's necessary to continue for a whole month?

Thinking back, many of the large lesions I got were from spots I remember scratching.

I am S. aureus free. Here is a plate from October 3rd. http://imgur.com/GCF3J5J That's from at least 2 weeks since I last put in any TAO. The bacteria on the plate are likely S. epidermidis, which is a common nasal commensal.

In the study, it was ~50% decolonization after 5 days. For me, there was a significant difference after 5 days. After 10 days it wasn't completely removed but it was after 20. The main reason I did it for so long was because I had a whole tube that I had no other use for. That and assurance that it wouldn't come back.

I responded to a reddit comment where I provide some links on other Staph examples. Feel free to take a look. http://www.reddit.com/r/Staphacne/comments/2gt6f7/triple_antibiotic_ointment_applied_to_my_nasal/cldhn15

Thanks for these great sources you all shared here with us.

Thank you. This experiment has made such a profound difference on my nasal health and development of pimples. I truly believe there is a significant correlation and I felt this was the best way to present the information I researched :)

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/03/2015 12:10 pm

A few updates:

I've stopped putting TAO in my nostrils a couple of months ago and neither the nose sores nor folliculitis boils have returned.

One guy with moderate to severe acne had S. aureus in both nostrils sWEQcnJ.jpg and after two weeks of daily TAO he has noticed skin improvement and hasn't noticed new lesions since he started.

Another guy with moderate to severe acne had a heavy S. aureus presence in both of his ears 4KOM9yy.jpg but not in his nose. TAO has provided a noticeable improvement to his skin complexion and he has noticed reduced breakouts.

MemberMember
(@tadamasa)

Posted : 01/03/2015 1:38 pm

Wow I could relate to all this information. I also get breakouts from excessive scratching, and also I've had this bump near my ear for over 3 years now which keeps draining and coming back. I'll definitely give this a try.

MemberMember
(@blueskies14)

Posted : 01/03/2015 10:43 pm

Did you have clogged pores and blackheads along with the sores? Im thinking i might have staph.. a while ago I had a cyst on my inner thigh then one developed in my armpit i still get some on my thighs not too large and some in my underarms. Its interesting because reading that it could be spread I have 4 other siblings and almost all of them have had acne specifically on the nose too I'm very glad i found this

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/04/2015 8:09 pm

Did you have clogged pores and blackheads along with the sores? Im thinking i might have staph.. a while ago I had a cyst on my inner thigh then one developed in my armpit i still get some on my thighs not too large and some in my underarms. Its interesting because reading that it could be spread I have 4 other siblings and almost all of them have had acne specifically on the nose too I'm very glad i found this

Clogged pores and blackheads were always present on my nose. I didn't get breakouts that corresponded with the nose sores.

I can say with certainty that I was giving myself and my girlfriend pimples from my nasal fluid. I found out I gave her nasal S. aureus after I had gotten rid of mine. At that point she was getting more non-cystic breakouts and I was more likely to get pimples after spending weekends with her. Once she started getting rid of her nasal Staph both of our faces cleared up.

Both of us are not 100% pimple free but we have noticed significant improvement after eliminating S. aureus from our noses and one of her ears.

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/07/2015 3:23 am

How to apply Triple Antibiotic Ointment to your nostrils and ears:

A Cotton swab
White_menbo.jpg

or

Fingertip
bjd573241.fig1.gif

+ Triple Antibiotic Ointment

Antibiotic Ointment Carton Image 2

into the nostrils
PRinc_rm_photo_of_nasal_swab.jpg

or ears
swabbing-ear-closeup-150x200.jpg

2 to 3 times daily. Each nostril and ear. Do it for one month. For those of you suffering chronic cystic acne, it will help.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/07/2015 1:33 pm

MY EARS. Oh, my god. I either have seb derm or staph in my ears. Who'd have known? I knew it was bad to scratch inside my ears but they get so itchy and then they break out. Going to try this method and see.

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 01/10/2015 4:02 pm

This is interesting information here, one dermatologist I went to five or six years ago wanted me to try this method inside both of my nostrils, back then I had very bad cystic acne along my jawlines. I remember when I did this a lot of the boil type lesions I had began to drain without me having to apply pressure or give them any kind of attention. Right now I have breakouts only on the right side of my face, which is the only side I have been sleeping on purposefully. I always wondered if it was some type of pathogen in my mouth or nose that is infecting my skin while I sleep. Right now I am focusing on diet and possible vitamin/mineral deficiencies as the cause. It's weird though, I can get spots anywhere like the groin, chest, shoulders, thighs, that my current derm says is just acne with occasional cystic flares. So is there any harm to giving this method a try for as long as a month?

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/11/2015 7:01 am

This is interesting information here, one dermatologist I went to five or six years ago wanted me to try this method inside both of my nostrils, back then I had very bad cystic acne along my jawlines. I remember when I did this a lot of the boil type lesions I had began to drain without me having to apply pressure or give them any kind of attention. Right now I have breakouts only on the right side of my face, which is the only side I have been sleeping on purposefully. I always wondered if it was some type of pathogen in my mouth or nose that is infecting my skin while I sleep. Right now I am focusing on diet and possible vitamin/mineral deficiencies as the cause. It's weird though, I can get spots anywhere like the groin, chest, shoulders, thighs, that my current derm says is just acne with occasional cystic flares. So is there any harm to giving this method a try for as long as a month?

I can speak for at least two people who primarily have jaw line acne and had a heavy S. aureus presence in their ears but not in their nose. One woman said frequently changing her pillow case helped. It wouldn't surprise me if she had normal ear drainage at night and sleeping on one side would provide incubation and an opportunity for her Staph to spread from her ear to parts of her face.

I can say that, including myself, I know of 5 people who put TAO in their nose or ears. The time range was a couple of weeks to a couple months of consistent application. All of us have had reduced acne breakouts or elimination of nose sores.

Furthermore, I teach microbiology and this semester I am going to check the nose/ears of all 20 of my students. I expect a correlation between chronic acne/nose sores/ear infections and a heavy S. aureus presence. It's been the case 100% so far.

MemberMember
(@bleh445)

Posted : 01/11/2015 8:12 am

Very interesting and informative read, finally digging into the cause of acneiform eruptions when it is mostly mistaken as acne. I had moderate acne and as a final resort took accutane. My acne has pretty much subsided but i still have constant eruptions of white pustules (folliculitis) around my mouth and chin region, wake up with a few it vanishes after a bath and by the end of the day i get one or two, it happens to subside for a few days and then return no matter if i shave or grow my beard for over a month it is still recurs. So i decided to to say no to antibiotics and look for more of an internal problem since its rather recurrent that a chronic condition. I also happen to get boil type lesions on occasion along my jawline closer to my ears. Of what you suggested i can pretty much relate and agree that its staph since i did try anti-fungal capsules for two months with no visible change and my diet is typical 'acne' diet (no dairy, no sugars, less carbs).

However these boils also happen to be present on my chest on occasion as well and once recently i had around three large boils along with some folliculitis (white pustule with hair in the centre) the area was very itchy and as usual i was prescribed antibiotics but said no and i used some antiseptic in my bath and it subsided within a week. now on occasion i still get 1-2 on my chest which subsides on its own leaving a crust.

I would really appreciate if you would have even the slightest idea of what you think is causing this recurrent condition, been through hell and back with acne and now this! Would definitely start the antibiotic ointment for my nasal and ear cavities. Do you think i could use bactroban (mupirocin) instead of TAO?

Thank you for this thread we need more people like you! :)

Note: I did have folliculitis pre accutane but i hardly remember if i had it before antibiotic therapy for my acne, probably not. It could be antibiotic induced..im not sure.

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/11/2015 6:33 pm

Very interesting and informative read, finally digging into the cause of acneiform eruptions when it is mostly mistaken as acne. I had moderate acne and as a final resort took accutane. My acne has pretty much subsided but i still have constant eruptions of white pustules (folliculitis) around my mouth and chin region, wake up with a few it vanishes after a bath and by the end of the day i get one or two, it happens to subside for a few days and then return no matter if i shave or grow my beard for over a month it is still recurs. So i decided to to say no to antibiotics and look for more of an internal problem since its rather recurrent that a chronic condition. I also happen to get boil type lesions on occasion along my jawline closer to my ears. Of what you suggested i can pretty much relate and agree that its staph since i did try anti-fungal capsules for two months with no visible change and my diet is typical 'acne' diet (no dairy, no sugars, less carbs).

However these boils also happen to be present on my chest on occasion as well and once recently i had around three large boils along with some folliculitis (white pustule with hair in the centre) the area was very itchy and as usual i was prescribed antibiotics but said no and i used some antiseptic in my bath and it subsided within a week. now on occasion i still get 1-2 on my chest which subsides on its own leaving a crust.

I would really appreciate if you would have even the slightest idea of what you think is causing this recurrent condition, been through hell and back with acne and now this! Would definitely start the antibiotic ointment for my nasal and ear cavities. Do you think i could use bactroban (mupirocin) instead of TAO?

Thank you for this thread we need more people like you!

Note: I did have folliculitis pre accutane but i hardly remember if i had it before antibiotic therapy for my acne, probably not. It could be antibiotic induced..im not sure.

If S. aureus is in your nose and/or ears, then anytime you touch them and touch a part of your body you may transfer the bacteria over. Much of my cystic acne came from touching parts of my face with my fingers. I believe that I scratched, picked, or touched the inside of my nose shortly before I touched my face. Sometimes I would get chest and back pimples and I think it was because of my fingers having residual Staph.

I would get many small cysts on my chin, and I think that came from normal nasal drainage. People who primarily get jawline acne may have Staph in the ear. Their acne follows gravity from the ear to the chin (drainage) and they may be rubbing Staph on their pillowcases while they are sleeping.

I've read on here that some people swear by the 'no-wash' method That if they don't touch or wash their face at all, their acne clears up. That makes sense if Staph is in their nose or ears because it lowers the probability that the bacteria can spread to other parts of the body.

Mupirocin should be just as effective as TAO. I used TAO because it is over-the-counter.

MemberMember
(@bleh445)

Posted : 01/14/2015 12:55 am

Thank you for this thread we need more people like you!

If S. aureus is in your nose and/or ears, then anytime you touch them and touch a part of your body you may transfer the bacteria over. Much of my cystic acne came from touching parts of my face with my fingers. I believe that I scratched, picked, or touched the inside of my nose shortly before I touched my face. Sometimes I would get chest and back pimples and I think it was because of my fingers having residual Staph.

I would get many small cysts on my chin, and I think that came from normal nasal drainage. People who primarily get jawline acne may have Staph in the ear. Their acne follows gravity from the ear to the chin (drainage) and they may be rubbing Staph on their pillowcases while they are sleeping.

I've read on here that some people swear by the 'no-wash' method That if they don't touch or wash their face at all, their acne clears up. That makes sense if Staph is in their nose or ears because it lowers the probability that the bacteria can spread to other parts of the body.

Mupirocin should be just as effective as TAO. I used TAO because it is over-the-counter.

I agree to what you say but I touch other parts of my body as much as i touch my chest, do you think certain areas are more susceptible to developing the infection? Anyway I came across many articles and some studies relating that S.aureus is mostly present on nasal passage, ear, chest, abdomen, under arm, belly button, etc. As for me, I have spots on my chest and few tiny bumps on my abdomen.

I started your method two days ago and haven't got any spots around my mouth! I thought it's one of those days where it subsides and returns but this seems different its like there's no trace of the folliculitis. I will keep continuing.

Read an article which said to try the antibiotic in the nares for ten days and discontinue and then ten days of the next month. Which do you think is more effective?

However my regimen includes: Antiseptic (Betadine - Povidone Iodine solution) in my bath everyday for 10 days then twice a week. (this is due to the spots on my chest and few spots on my scalp)

Bactroban (mupirocin) applied to moist regions (including nares, ear canal and behind the ear) twice day for 20 - 30 days.

Also changing sheets every week and new pillow cover everyday.

In terms of diet I'm just sticking to an anti-inflammatory diet.

What do i do on existing spots? i have two boils near my ear. It has drained but still feels inflamed, would bactroban do?

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/14/2015 1:16 pm

I agree to what you say but I touch other parts of my body as much as i touch my chest, do you think certain areas are more susceptible to developing the infection? Anyway I came across many articles and some studies relating that S.aureus is mostly present on nasal passage, ear, chest, abdomen, under arm, belly button, etc. As for me, I have spots on my chest and few tiny bumps on my abdomen.

I started your method two days ago and haven't got any spots around my mouth! I thought it's one of those days where it subsides and returns but this seems different its like there's no trace of the folliculitis. I will keep continuing.

Read an article which said to try the antibiotic in the nares for ten days and discontinue and then ten days of the next month. Which do you think is more effective?

However my regimen includes: Antiseptic (Betadine - Povidone Iodine solution) in my bath everyday for 10 days then twice a week. (this is due to the spots on my chest and few spots on my scalp)

Bactroban (mupirocin) applied to moist regions (including nares, ear canal and behind the ear) twice day for 20 - 30 days.

Also changing sheets every week and new pillow cover everyday.

In terms of diet I'm just sticking to an anti-inflammatory diet.

What do i do on existing spots? i have two boils near my ear. It has drained but still feels inflamed, would bactroban do?

I can see where some parts of the body are more likely to develop those boils over others. When I had Staph in my nose, I got the occasional chest and back acne but never really anywhere else other than my face and neck.

You may have S. aureus on other parts of your body but the harsh, dry conditions of your skin coupled with your bathing routine probably keeps the skin population in check. I haven't changed my shower routine and I no longer get chest or back pimples. I either don't have S. aureus on my skin or don't have them at a high enough concentration to cause folliculitis.

That's awesome that you are noticing a reduction in pimples around your mouth. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come

I believe daily application without break would be best. My nasal Staph was not gone after 10 days. I used a different ointment but it took at least 20 days of daily swabbing to get rid of mine. My nasal Staph was ridiculously concentrated and that may have played a role in how long it took to get rid of it.

I've found that TAO is HIGHLY effective in reducing existing spots. I've noticed a more rapid healing time when I've put a bit of TAO on a freshly popped pimple. I believe I was helping my immune system combat the residual Staph and other bacteria in that pimple. I didn't notice as much of a difference when I put TAO on unpopped ones.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@bleh445)

Posted : 01/14/2015 3:00 pm

I can see where some parts of the body are more likely to develop those boils over others. When I had Staph in my nose, I got the occasional chest and back acne but never really anywhere else other than my face and neck.

You may have S. aureus on other parts of your body but the harsh, dry conditions of your skin coupled with your bathing routine probably keeps the skin population in check. I haven't changed my shower routine and I no longer get chest or back pimples. I either don't have S. aureus on my skin or don't have them at a high enough concentration to cause folliculitis.

That's awesome that you are noticing a reduction in pimples around your mouth. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come

I believe daily application without break would be best. My nasal Staph was not gone after 10 days. I used a different ointment but it took at least 20 days of daily swabbing to get rid of mine. My nasal Staph was ridiculously concentrated and that may have played a role in how long it took to get rid of it.

I've found that TAO is HIGHLY effective in reducing existing spots. I've noticed a more rapid healing time when I've put a bit of TAO on a freshly popped pimple. I believe I was helping my immune system combat the residual Staph and other bacteria in that pimple. I didn't notice as much of a difference when I put TAO on unpopped ones.

Good luck

Thanks. What is your regimen like? Also has there been any incidence of recolonization of S.aureus in your nares?

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/15/2015 3:04 pm

Thanks. What is your regimen like? Also has there been any incidence of recolonization of S.aureus in your nares?

Here is my nose plate from Jan 12th. XSmoKYN.jpgS. aureus has not returned. I also don't have it in my ears.

My regimen was daily application of 10% benzoyl peroxide to my face in the evening. I use Zapzyt. I kept that on until I showered the next day. In the shower I use a general face wash. I don't have a special diet but I consider myself a healthy individual that exercises and takes multiple supplements.

For many years, daily benzoyl peroxide was essential for me to prevent significant breakouts and deep cysts. Even after I got rid of my nasal Staph, I still put BP on my face to play it safe.

Over the last two weeks, I've been skipping days to see if I break out. I still haven't broken out with pimples or folliculitis. I've been using BP for almost a decade because it works for me. Now with S. aureus gone it doesn't look like I need it.

MemberMember
(@bacterion)

Posted : 01/19/2015 3:11 am

This is amazing info and shouldn't be lost in the lower topics.

Bump

MemberMember
(@bacterion)

Posted : 01/22/2015 5:31 pm

You are definitely on to something here.

I've been using a similar method to clean my nostrils and ears for 5 days morning and evening and I didn't get one single pimple since.

Since I'm from Europe and don't have access to TAO, I've been using cotton buds dunked in colloidal silver. Unfortunately I don't have access to all those tools to measure, but I'll continue to do so for a month.

I really hope you can continue with this research on your students and afterwards make it to a paper or something. I'm 100% certain it will be worthy.

Edit: Also, I've been using so many antimicrobials in the past 2-3 years that no bacteria should have survived on my face. There is definitely another source of it, whether it's the nostrils, the ears or in the neck. And I'm certain everyone else is in the same situation.

MemberMember
(@healthyalmonds)

Posted : 01/22/2015 9:26 pm

You are definitely on to something here.

I've been using a similar method to clean my nostrils and ears for 5 days morning and evening and I didn't get one single pimple since.

Since I'm from Europe and don't have access to TAO, I've been using cotton buds dunked in colloidal silver. Unfortunately I don't have access to all those tools to measure, but I'll continue to do so for a month.

I really hope you can continue with this research on your students and afterwards make it to a paper or something. I'm 100% certain it will be worthy.

Edit: Also, I've been using so many antimicrobials in the past 2-3 years that no bacteria should have survived on my face. There is definitely another source of it, whether it's the nostrils, the ears or in the neck. And I'm certain everyone else is in the same situation.

I am so glad to read this Best wishes on combating your acne.

I have also posted my observations here *Moderator edit, URL removed please read the board rules*