Notifications
Clear all

Accepting A Little Imperfection,

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 09/18/2014 4:17 am

Giving up on your face and saying, f-ck it, my face looks like the surface of an alien planet, is certainly a choice some people have made, and some others talk about. I don't think that's ok. That's like saying, I'm giving up on my auto-immune disease, my diabetes or my cancer. Doctors aren't infallible and many common ailments and widespread fatal diseases can't be cured or even explained absolutely by science. They don't care about our faces, or even our money, as much as we care about our faces, so the impetus is on us to learn, experiment, explore treatments and be intelligent about skincare.

No one goes through life without getting some scars. If you're doing the most and best you can, that's enough. It feels great to make headway and to know what the hell you're doing when you get acne.

I'm not going to lock myself in the house until I can peel away the little battle wounds. I'm not getting any younger, and a few pits, or a couple of bumps, can't take away the rest of my awesomeness- OR YOURS.

Flaws mean you've lived, and that you're alive and human. The people you perceive as perfect feel exactly the same as you, and are trying to hide their humanity behind every trick they can learn, too. We all eat, shit, pick at our scabs, get old, and die.

You only get one ride on spaceship earth. It's a shame to waste it on wishing for something only you care about that is less than a drop in the ocean to anyone else.

Francopld liked
MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/18/2014 12:49 pm

Giving up on your face and saying, f-ck it, my face looks like the surface of an alien planet, is certainly a choice some people have made, and some others talk about. I don't think that's ok. That's like saying, I'm giving up on my auto-immune disease, my diabetes or my cancer. Doctors aren't infallible and many common ailments and widespread fatal diseases can't be cured or even explained absolutely by science. They don't care about our faces, or even our money, as much as we care about our faces, so the impetus is on us to learn, experiment, explore treatments and be intelligent about skincare.

No one goes through life without getting some scars. If you're doing the most and best you can, that's enough. It feels great to make headway and to know what the hell you're doing when you get acne.

I'm not going to lock myself in the house until I can peel away the little battle wounds. I'm not getting any younger, and a few pits, or a couple of bumps, can't take away the rest of my awesomeness- OR YOURS.

Flaws mean you've lived, and that you're alive and human. The people you perceive as perfect feel exactly the same as you, and are trying to hide their humanity behind every trick they can learn, too. We all eat, shit, pick at our scabs, get old, and die.

You only get one ride on spaceship earth. It's a shame to waste it on wishing for something only you care about that is less than a drop in the ocean to anyone else.

I really liked this post and agreed with MOST of it. Sometimes giving up is what we need to do to live our lives. Consuming ourselves with trying to help our acne is not healthy as it is seen time and time again, some of us will not find a solution, at least not for the foreseeable future. With that said, living life in spite of our flaws is an amazing thing to do - it's hard though and i think for many of us, myself included, we have to retrain the way we think. Many people are upbeat about such a process as they have found a solution, begun to clear up or have passed the stage of acne but its much harder to do when you're still in the battle field.

Either way, you said it best. There is more to our awesomeness than our physical appearance.

MemberMember
(@khaled91)

Posted : 09/18/2014 4:51 pm

I agree and I praise you for the positivity but unfonrtunately we live on a planet where 99.9% of the human beings that inhabits it care about looks and fancy stuff, We live to study and then work to get paid and search for people we love or get married and buy a car/house/products to consume and use.

I suffered for 8 years paid thousands for procedures and still suffering do you think that after all this i didn't accept my fate ? I definitely do acccept how my face looks but and it's a "BIG BUT" I'm still tormented from the inside, What I'm trying to say is I admit that part of me wants flawless skin just to impress people when they look at me. the other part just don't care about people or anything I just want so badly to look at my face in the mirror without being ashamed of acne and scars all over it.

That's what I couldn't find a solution for and what made my condition even worse is because I also have obsessive compulsive disorder and when these two life-ruining diseases unites on you it literally turns you into an alien or something !!!!

So some people might have the ability to accept it and live happily after and some others accepted it because they are forced to and will always live with sadness unless a miracle happens and sometimes when it actually happens it might be already too late and their lives are completely ruined, So it's just fate and personal attributes that decides your destiny.

Sorry for the rant just needed to get this off my chest.

MemberMember
(@somedayistoday)

Posted : 09/30/2014 5:10 pm

I agree theres a point where we have to let the suffering stop and take a moment to see the bigger picture. I'm experiencing the worst acne episode of my life and its tough to smile and be myself these days. What if my skin never heals? What if it gets worse? These thoughts take me down really dark paths and I'm starting to realize that I don't need let them take me there. The way to help myself is to take things as they come, what can I do in this moment to help my situation? I think all of us struggling with acne are actually very strong and resilient people. We find ways to deal with it, may not always be healthy ways but we all manage somehow and we learn and grow from it. Bottomline, we all just want to live our lives and not be judged. We can't control how others think but we can control how we personally think. Sometimes we are our harshest critics. My game plan for now is to give my mind a break, find ways to destress, realize that not everyone is judging me or that it matters if they are-( its a reflection of who they are) and listen carefully to what my body needs to feel healthy and improve the quality of my life.