Notifications
Clear all

Red Acne Scarring On Cheeks

MemberMember
(@amy27)

Posted : 09/14/2014 10:30 am

Hi guys,

So as you can see in the pictures below I suffer from red acne scarring (hyperpigmentation), these are from old spots/zits/cysts, that have occurred even without popping the pimples, I am currently using Bio-Oil on my cheeks because it's said to improve the appearance of scarring, I've been using the Bio-Oil for nearly 3 months, I have seen a slight change in the scars I think they have lightened a little, but I'm just wondering if this is the best product out there for this type of acne scarring, I would really like to hear other people's experiences and what worked for them.

Thank you. :)

post-422973-0-09424100-1410708538.png

MemberMember
(@420blazeitfgt)

Posted : 09/15/2014 3:51 am

Stop using bio oil and deal with your active acne before you worry about the redness. If you can deal with your acne soon I doubt you'll have any real scarring because so far the texture looks fine.

Jenjen84 liked
MemberMember
(@theonethatgotaway)

Posted : 09/26/2014 12:52 am

Use benzoyl peroxide to get rid of acne bacteria and then AHA glycolic acid to fade your red marks. In 4 months time, you will see a big difference after using the AHA. Also, avoid sugary drinks and stick to water during your skin therapy. Best of luck.

amy27 liked
MemberMember
(@kristineh)

Posted : 11/21/2014 9:06 pm

I'm dealing with a similar issue as you! Have yet to find a remedy/cure for the red acne marks :(

MemberMember
(@amy27)

Posted : 11/25/2014 4:19 pm

I'm dealing with a similar issue as you! Have yet to find a remedy/cure for the red acne marks :(

It's awful! I find it worse than the actually spots I get! They show through my make up, I can't find absolutely anythin that works :(

MemberMember
(@kristineh)

Posted : 11/25/2014 4:26 pm

I'm dealing with a similar issue as you! Have yet to find a remedy/cure for the red acne marks

It's awful! I find it worse than the actually spots I get! They show through my make up, I can't find absolutely anythin that works

I couldn't agree more! Every spot I get leaves a red mark that won't go away. My cheek area is VERY similar to yours or even worse and makeup doesn't cover up very well either. I feel very self conscious leaving the house every day...because my makeup looks so obvious and you can see the spots through it.

MemberMember
(@amy27)

Posted : 11/25/2014 4:42 pm

I'm dealing with a similar issue as you! Have yet to find a remedy/cure for the red acne marks sad.png

It's awful! I find it worse than the actually spots I get! They show through my make up, I can't find absolutely anythin that works sad.png

I couldn't agree more! Every spot I get leaves a red mark that won't go away. My cheek area is VERY similar to yours or even worse and makeup doesn't cover up very well either. I feel very self conscious leaving the house every day...because my makeup looks so obvious and you can see the spots through it.

Ah yes! That looks very similar to mine! yes exactly! Even without picking the spots they leave a mark :/

I know exactly how you feel! I honestly dont think there's a treatment for this other than time :( but it's been over a year for me and they don't seem to be going anywhere! I'm getting sick of seeing them, it's all I see when I look in the mirror!

MemberMember
(@kristineh)

Posted : 11/25/2014 7:51 pm

I'm dealing with a similar issue as you! Have yet to find a remedy/cure for the red acne marks sad.png

It's awful! I find it worse than the actually spots I get! They show through my make up, I can't find absolutely anythin that works sad.png

Ah yes! That looks very similar to mine! yes exactly! Even without picking the spots they leave a mark :/

I know exactly how you feel! I honestly dont think there's a treatment for this other than time but it's been over a year for me and they don't seem to be going anywhere! I'm getting sick of seeing them, it's all I see when I look in the mirror!

We are basically twins! I've had them for over a year too and it just sucks that there isn't any improvement seen in them :( Have you considered any treatments? I've heard of chemical peels and microdermabrasion but I don't know how effective they would be for them and if they are safe. Sounds pricey though...

MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 11/26/2014 1:11 am

My skin is also prone to acne, manuka honey has reduce the build up of cystic acne on my face. It has absolutely no side effects, no dry skin redness, and scaly patches.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 11/30/2014 5:36 am

my skin is about the same as yours, less red though. I've used glycolic acid on my marks and they seem to do the trick, getting lighter and lighter by the week. I think the best treatment for them are glycolic chemical peels. Going to have one done this Christmas holidays, will update on results!

MemberMember
(@efarrell)

Posted : 12/04/2014 12:11 am

Hi!

I'm in a similar situation as you with the hyper pigmentation and red marks on cheeks. Soooo annoying (I agree, even worse than the acne itself).

I've have problems with my skin for the past two years and i'm still trying to figure out how to reduce the appearance of redness and hyper pigmentation!

Honestly, I think it just takes time for you skin to heal and im talking awhileeee lol ( months maybe even years :( ) Probably not what you want to hear but over time they will fade. My derm has said this to me many many times as well and I just give him the "ya ya but I want it to be gone NOW" look haha.

I would suggest just caring for your skin and treating the active acne as much as possible to avoid any more possible scars and things will fade.

P.s Just a random tid-bit, I have heard that putting very thinly sliced pieces of white potato over acne scars for like 20-30mins daily can help reduce scar and redness appearance. Never tried but maybe worth a shot! lol

amy27 liked
MemberMember
(@jayesbro)

Posted : 12/05/2014 8:47 pm

Hi Amy,

The biggest thing to remember is to stay positive through everything. I suffered with Acne since I was 15, and I know it can be pretty damaging to your selfesteem. Like aforementioned, I would worry about getting the acne under control before you worry about the redness. As of right now, my acne is under control/gone due to a trial of accutane, which is a very effective drug. With that being said, I would only consider it with caution, as I've heard of some pretty serious side effects that a very select few have went through. I personally was very lucky with it, and only experienced what was to be expected, very dry and thin skin. My liver and everything else was in good shape, even with some reckless drinking.

What you can do now is use salicylic acid to help with the redness and acne. I've used salicylic acid in the past to combat acne, and I personally don't think it helped too much. However, I am using it now to help with the red hyperpigmentation that I have post-acne. Unfortunately we're light skinned, which means the hyperpigmentation is red, and we burn very easily in the sun. Looking back, I should have worn more sun-screen while I had acne, as I think that contributed to the marks, especially while using chemical products on the skin.

I'm about to start using a Derma Roller for the red marks, which I've heard mixed reviews on. A lot of people swear by it, others say it doesn't work that well. I will keep you posted on the results.

Just remember, see a dermatologist as soon as you can, prevention is the key here.

amy27 liked
MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 12/07/2014 8:35 pm

Hi!

I'm in a similar situation as you with the hyper pigmentation and red marks on cheeks. Soooo annoying (I agree, even worse than the acne itself).

I've have problems with my skin for the past two years and i'm still trying to figure out how to reduce the appearance of redness and hyper pigmentation!

Honestly, I think it just takes time for you skin to heal and im talking awhileeee lol ( months maybe even years ) Probably not what you want to hear but over time they will fade. My derm has said this to me many many times as well and I just give him the "ya ya but I want it to be gone NOW" look haha.

I would suggest just caring for your skin and treating the active acne as much as possible to avoid any more possible scars and things will fade.

P.s Just a random tid-bit, I have heard that putting very thinly sliced pieces of white potato over acne scars for like 20-30mins daily can help reduce scar and redness appearance. Never tried but maybe worth a shot! lol

You have to be a rare one to not love potatoes. They are virtually efficient skin doctors in their raw form. Raw potatoes are great for clear skin, and help with many skin problems. Raw potatoes are rich in minerals like Potassium, Sulphur and Phosphorous, and essentially these minerals are excellent for skin care. There is also the presence of vitamins and antioxidant compounds in raw potato juice, which helps improve the skin tone and has antibacterial properties. Also, the enzymes present in the pulp of raw potatoes are excellent for skin care.

amy27 liked
MemberMember
(@hound)

Posted : 12/08/2014 4:26 am

Hi Amy

I too have considered using Bio-Oil for my acne marks, but I did my research and found that it actually contains many irritating ingredients (I highly recommend a website called Paula's Choice, it reviews and researches many skincare products)

Also, the key to healing marks and scars, is to stop the acne itself first, the skin needs to stop being attacked, and judging by your photo, it seems your acne is still flaring up. Think of it like a burning house, you have to extinguish the fire first if you want to rebuild it.

For my first three months, I didn't use anything BUT the main Regimen products (Cleanser, Treatment, Moisturiser), and my skin was able to clear up some marks on its own. Now I'm supporting it with exfoliants ONLY because my skin has been clear of active acne for several months.

amy27 liked
MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 12/15/2014 8:04 pm

[Edited image out]

@Amy, you might want to try this. A friend of mine from New Zealand recommended me this one for removing acne and acne scars. That was last year and it seems to be effective to me. Planning to order their manuka honey moisturizer this month. Good thing is that I can buy it online so I'll just have to wait for a bit.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 12/15/2014 9:29 pm

Dude seriously, are you promoting a website or something? Every single one of your posts add nothing to the conversation and are all about promoting manuka honey.

MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 12/16/2014 2:05 am

@blahblah82 Sorry, but do I really sounds like promoting something? I don't have a website or even know how to promote a website. Just because I repeatedly mentioned the word doesn't mean I'm already promoting it. What would you like me to do then?

MemberMember
(@hound)

Posted : 12/17/2014 1:34 am

Manuka honey is actually a well received ingredient for both skincare and health, it's one of the things NZ is famous for.

I do agree though that Mandy isnt really adding to the conversation, you could at least describe your past situation and skin type, the price range of the product, the texture of the product and how you have used it.

MemberMember
(@veenax)

Posted : 12/17/2014 10:47 pm

Its been 7 months since my acne is gone however the terrible red spots on my cheeks are still visible just like yours. I have used multiple lactic, multiple glycolic, multiple Laser and Fraxel facials. And nothing yet. Spent nearly $1000 in the past 6-7 months. But nothing. Nothing seems to be working.

MemberMember
(@amy27)

Posted : 01/05/2015 6:06 pm

my skin is about the same as yours, less red though. I've used glycolic acid on my marks and they seem to do the trick, getting lighter and lighter by the week. I think the best treatment for them are glycolic chemical peels. Going to have one done this Christmas holidays, will update on results!

I'll have to look into this, do you have any pictures of before and after by any chance? How's your skin doing now?

Hi Amy,

The biggest thing to remember is to stay positive through everything. I suffered with Acne since I was 15, and I know it can be pretty damaging to your selfesteem. Like aforementioned, I would worry about getting the acne under control before you worry about the redness. As of right now, my acne is under control/gone due to a trial of accutane, which is a very effective drug. With that being said, I would only consider it with caution, as I've heard of some pretty serious side effects that a very select few have went through. I personally was very lucky with it, and only experienced what was to be expected, very dry and thin skin. My liver and everything else was in good shape, even with some reckless drinking.

What you can do now is use salicylic acid to help with the redness and acne. I've used salicylic acid in the past to combat acne, and I personally don't think it helped too much. However, I am using it now to help with the red hyperpigmentation that I have post-acne. Unfortunately we're light skinned, which means the hyperpigmentation is red, and we burn very easily in the sun. Looking back, I should have worn more sun-screen while I had acne, as I think that contributed to the marks, especially while using chemical products on the skin.

I'm about to start using a Derma Roller for the red marks, which I've heard mixed reviews on. A lot of people swear by it, others say it doesn't work that well. I will keep you posted on the results.

Just remember, see a dermatologist as soon as you can, prevention is the key here.

Thank you for the positive thoughts :) it does knock your self-esteem down but I just try to pretend it's not there! I'm going to look into salicylic acid, do you recommend just buying a tube of it on its on or within other products, what strength? Also, let me know how the derma roller is going :)

Its been 7 months since my acne is gone however the terrible red spots on my cheeks are still visible just like yours. I have used multiple lactic, multiple glycolic, multiple Laser and Fraxel facials. And nothing yet. Spent nearly $1000 in the past 6-7 months. But nothing. Nothing seems to be working.

Sorry to hear that :( anything new? Any luck? I know, nothing seems to work for these buggers!! D:

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 01/05/2015 7:40 pm

On 1/6/2015 at 5:06 AM, amy27 said:
On 11/30/2014 at 4:36 PM, Antonthegreat said:

I'll have to look into this, do you have any pictures of before and after by any chance? How's your skin doing now?

Don't have any before pictures, but as you can imagine it was pretty bad

[Edited image out]

Don't break out much anymore, mainly dealing with teenage hormonal problems (I'm guessing), but I believe they're leveling out now that I've turned 17.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@shyanne)

Posted : 01/07/2015 12:21 am

Mine looks very similar to @antontgegreat 's. I used Tretinoin for the first three months I started treatment for acne/marks. And these past three week ive used Tarozac, and my acne is totally gone, and my marks seem to be fading, slowly but surely. Maybe try one of them to get rid of your acne and scarring too, they definitely help.

post-430513-0-93831100-1420608070_thumb.

post-430513-0-18678100-1420608079_thumb.

MemberMember
(@tatortots12)

Posted : 01/07/2015 3:06 am

Your cheeks looked exactly like mines except I'm more medium light skin. Tazorac 0.1 gel and honey every day has helped me incredibly. Have you ever tried any retinoids?

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 01/07/2015 10:35 am

Are you looking for a quick fix? Or are you willing to give different products a try and be patient with it? If it's the latter, I recommend Mizon's All Repair Snail Cream. Yes, it's snail extract.

I've been using it for about a month and a half now and my skin has not only gotten brighter (whiter), my scars have faded a bit. Not a whole LOT but it's progress. I used to use it daily, once a night, but just recently I started putting it on in the morning as well before I go out to work.

Feel free to give it a try.

MemberMember
(@bridget322)

Posted : 02/23/2017 5:43 am

I'm a bit more of a warmer tone, however I do get the redness after acne, & I just want to recommend Pearl Lightening Bar - it's a soap bar kinda but for your faceand it does dry your face a bit which is why it's always best to get the moisturizer or lightening cream that goes with it just make sure it says pearl.. and I mix the moisturizer with a little (3 smaallll drops) of Tea Tree Oil, the oil helps with acne, (don't apply directly as it is strong & can irritate the skin, hence the mixing with the moisturizer) and the moisturizer & soap lighten your face up so I think it is a perfect combo. I've been having some acne problems which is unusual for me since I've had a decently clear face then boom I started getting acne all the time. But this little remedy has helped me so much. Stay out of the sun too! It helps lessen the dark mark of the scar. I really think it will work, my skin is very sensitive by the way since I know not all remedies work for all, I just thought that's help. Good luck & remember y'all beautiful no matter what.