Notifications
Clear all

No More Pills Left & I Feel Like Im Going To Break Out Really Bad.

MemberMember
(@kittyvine1)

Posted : 09/11/2014 12:42 am

So I have been on doxycycline for 2 months now. It's actually a brand name antibiotic called Doryx (side question - is the brand name antibiotic worth the extra money?). I went to my dermatologist again after the 2 months and she said it had a minimal effect. My face did clear up a bit but i was still breaking out. Now she prescribed Solodyn and I want the generic prescription (Minocycline) but the pharmacy I went to says they need to call my dermatologist to confirm that I can get that medication. Long story short, it's been about a week and a half without taking doxycycline and I was clear for a couple days. It felt amazing. But starting yesterday I got 2 pimples and today I got 6 more tiny ones. It's insane. Now I'm just waiting for my pharmacy to call back but not sure how long it'll take. I bought a Lush cleanser, still use Epiduo, oil-free moisturizer, and aloe vera on my face but I am so scared I will break out even more :( Please help! I need advice on how to deal with going without antibiotics. i feel like I am going to break out tomorrow even more and I don't know what to do to stop it. What should I expect when I start minocycline? And should I just suck it up and get the name brand instead?

MemberMember
(@alice9)

Posted : 09/11/2014 8:36 am

I am one of those who used to take oral antibiotics doxycycline 100mg 2 times a day prescribed by previous dermatologist. Then I read online and horrified about the side effects that oral antibiotics can cause something about damaging liver and stuff and this dermatologist is planning to prescribe me this for 4 months. I immediately stopped after two weeks but acne still comes. I went to the other better dermatologist and I told her especially NO oral antibiotics. This derma unlike that previous one told me she support and agreed to my decision because she's worried about the side effects too if she prescribe oral antibiotics to patients. So she say that topical antibiotic creams is the safest way to treat acne but the healing effects would be slow. However she stressed on the point that it is MUCH safer than oral ones. She prescribed to me skinoren and clindamycin. I used it for two weeks and I noticed positive huge difference. One point she told me: you cant be allergic to seafood like shellfish if you use skinoren (super important which most people does not know). Actually I wonder if your derma did an allergy test for you before prescribing doxycycline because you must know what allergies you may have before starting antibiotics course.

You could try out my method NOT oral antibiotics but using topical antibiotics instead. Start it the day you stop oral antibiotics. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@kittyvine1)

Posted : 09/11/2014 9:35 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for your suggestion.

No my dermatologist did not allergy test me. Your dermatologist seems to be a good one. I will ask my derma for topical antibiotics instead. I, too, am worried about the long term effects of oral antibiotics. Thanks so much again.

I am one of those who used to take oral antibiotics doxycycline 100mg 2 times a day prescribed by previous dermatologist. Then I read online and horrified about the side effects that oral antibiotics can cause something about damaging liver and stuff and this dermatologist is planning to prescribe me this for 4 months. I immediately stopped after two weeks but acne still comes. I went to the other better dermatologist and I told her especially NO oral antibiotics. This derma unlike that previous one told me she support and agreed to my decision because she's worried about the side effects too if she prescribe oral antibiotics to patients. So she say that topical antibiotic creams is the safest way to treat acne but the healing effects would be slow. However she stressed on the point that it is MUCH safer than oral ones. She prescribed to me skinoren and clindamycin. I used it for two weeks and I noticed positive huge difference. One point she told me: you cant be allergic to seafood like shellfish if you use skinoren (super important which most people does not know). Actually I wonder if your derma did an allergy test for you before prescribing doxycycline because you must know what allergies you may have before starting antibiotics course.

You could try out my method NOT oral antibiotics but using topical antibiotics instead. Start it the day you stop oral antibiotics. Hope this helps!