Notifications
Clear all

Desperate

MemberMember
(@aleahsmom)

Posted : 09/10/2014 11:09 am

I have been suffering from acne since I was 13, im now 23 and its the worst it has ever been. I have tried almost everything over the counter, ive been to a dermatologist, ive tried natural remedies, and have bought proactiv which did nothing. I recently gave birth to my second child and started birth control (nexplanon) and my acne is worse than its ever been. Its on my shoulders, my jaw, my cheeks, and my neck. I ashamed to wear anything but a tshirt and I do not even consider wearing my hair up when I leave the house. I am beside myself and have no clue were to go from here. If you have any advice please please help.

MemberMember
(@yuvraj)

Posted : 09/12/2014 11:58 am

We're on the same boat. I have been suffering from from 5 years. I got my first acne breakout when i was 14, now i am 18 and i still get acne. Every year during September, my face is full of cystic acne. I don't even make my hairs properly and i stay depressed for months. I also have scars. It seems like it will never end.

MemberMember
(@krissy990)

Posted : 09/23/2014 11:56 am

Hey the problem your having is the nexplanon. It only contains progestin with no estrogen to balance it out. I suggest getting it removed and switching to combo birthcontrol with a good amount of estrogen and low androgenic progestin such as yasmin or ortho tri cyclen.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/23/2014 11:27 pm

Pretty much the only birth controls that have the potential to help acne are Yaz/Yasmin, Diane-35, and Belara. Sometimes Ortho Cyclen or Ortho Tri Cyclen.

Your other option is to use a copper IUD that has no hormones in it and control your hormones through herbal supplements (saw palmetto is the main one).

Any other type of BC is almost guaranteed to make it worse. Most of them have too much androgenic progestin which stimulates acne.

MemberMember
(@paigers)

Posted : 09/25/2014 7:04 pm

In the same boat. Suddenly nearing my 20s and my skin just doesn't know what to do with itself!

A few things I've heard that can help (and have been helping me) with hormonal acne:

- cut out dairy and sugar

- drink A LOT of water

- green or detox teas

- avoid picking, irritating (this includes using too many products or ones with harsh chemicals), popping, rubbing, scratching

I've also been told by two skincare experts that hormonal acne may just have to run its course and that there's not much you can do about it because it's coming from imbalances inside your body.

Don't ever be ashamed of your acne. It's only human. I promise you're beautiful with or without it.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 09/25/2014 7:46 pm

Although I am not a doctor of any sort it sounds to me that your hormones are out of balance and until that gets sorted out you may have trouble with your skin.

You can get your hormones tested to specifically identify your issue.

Otherwise take a look at a website by Lorna Vanderhaeghe called Health and Immunity for Women (not sure where you live - she is based in Canada) and she has a wonderful product called Estrosmart which both my daughter and I use. I believe in the States there is a similar product called Estroblock which you could look into. Other herbs that people have tried to balance their hormones are Saw Palmetto and Vitex. (I have no personal experience with them but people on this site seem to like them.

I also agree with the previous post that your birth control may be making things worse for you. My daughter was on three different birth control pills which all made her acne worse (Alesse, Ortho Tricylen and Ortho Tricylcen Lo). Everyone is different but it may be something to look at.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@honeybee87)

Posted : 10/18/2014 12:01 pm

is your acne mainly on your chin? if so it could be excess androgens and the birth control pill reclipsen or desogen will get rid of it, or spironolactone.