Notifications
Clear all

Acne And University

MemberMember
(@sociallyawkward)

Posted : 09/09/2014 6:16 am

Hi guys, In just under 2 weeks i'll be starting uni. For the past 4 years i've suffered with moderate to severe (on occasion) acne. I'm just wondering whether I will be the only person at uni with acne. Most people my age have grew out of it by now and I don't want to be that one weird kid who suffers with it.

Also during the freshers week there will be alot of partying and drinking involved, my acne seems to be related to my diet and obviously the week of drinking will take it's toll. (After one night of drinking my acne really doesn't react too well so I have no idea what a week will do :/)

Any suggestions to help prevent or tone down the inevitable breakouts? And I know I could not drink but I'm incredibly shy and socially awkward due to my acne and getting drunk tends to make me a much more sociable person :)

Thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/09/2014 7:15 am

Find a derm that will give you low dose accutane. No point suffering. U can try zinc supplements during the week to see if it works.

MemberMember
(@twosteps)

Posted : 09/10/2014 2:48 pm

A totally shitty cheat would be to take activated charcoal pills before you go out. Would soak up some of the alcohol. Don't want to get in the habit of it though (also absorbs vitamins and minerals).

Best bet is to just not drink your ass off. Better to live long, not fast.

edit: clarity

MemberMember
(@fazedout)

Posted : 09/18/2014 8:40 am

You will definitely not be the only person at uni with acne, just looking on this forum you will probably see loads of people in their 20s, 30s and beyond with acne. Sadly acne doesn't seem to just be a teen thing, I know I was really hoping my skin would have cleared up now I'm in my 20s. I understand how much it can knock your confidence, especially when meeting new people for the first time. Not sure what treatments you have tried so far but you could always try visiting the GP and see what they recommend.