Notifications
Clear all

People Point Out My Makeup

MemberMember
(@tudorfan27)

Posted : 09/09/2014 1:49 am

Hi guys,

I recently joined acne.org because of the struggle that acne has put me through. I've had mild acne for 3 years but this year it became worse. It was specifically located on my forehead but now that has cleared. Sadly my cheeks, chin and temples have broken out. I started to wear makeup to help my self- confidence, but since I go to high school, all the girls (including my friends) have been pointing out my makeup like its a disease. Some say, " you need to blend your foundation better" or "I can tell your wearing makeup". One instance a friend sitting beside me said, " you cake on your foundation, make it look more natural or don't wear it at all". She yelled it all my class, everyone could hear. I felt so embarrassed. If only they saw the true condition of my face. They would make worse comments. I feel so depressed.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 09/09/2014 10:48 am

Hi guys,

I recently joined acne.org because of the struggle that acne has put me through. I've had mild acne for 3 years but this year it became worse. It was specifically located on my forehead but now that has cleared. Sadly my cheeks, chin and temples have broken out. I started to wear makeup to help my self- confidence, but since I go to high school, all the girls (including my friends) have been pointing out my makeup like its a disease. Some say, " you need to blend your foundation better" or "I can tell your wearing makeup". One instance a friend sitting beside me said, " you cake on your foundation, make it look more natural or don't wear it at all". She yelled it all my class, everyone could hear. I felt so embarrassed. If only they saw the true condition of my face. They would make worse comments. I feel so depressed.

I understand. The need to control others and other aggressive behaviour is ingrained in our malfunctioning culture. They can't help it they are doing that.

MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 09/10/2014 1:35 am

What awful people. Try and surround yourself with people outside of class/wherever that won't judge you and say dumb things like that.

As long as you're more comfortable/confident in your makeup routine, that's what matters.

MemberMember
(@eminem-isback)

Posted : 09/10/2014 3:42 am

Here is what you need to say, makeup can be worn how ever I want it to so shut up.

Or if someone says they can tell you wear makeup say duh cause I am. And to the girl that said or don't wear it at all say wow who hurt you lol Thad be funny, tell them you'll blend your makeup when they (insert your own thing) lol or just say shut up or say maybe I don't wanna make it look natural or to the I can tell your wearing makeup, And the one about blending it better, say I am not a mirror

MemberMember
(@icogito)

Posted : 09/10/2014 8:57 pm

Well, I would assume you are a good looking person who is fit, and probably smart.

People LOVE finding your flaws when they find you attractive. When you are attractive, people will say anything. They will point out every tiny flaw you have. SO get used to it by ignoring what they say, and smile back.

MemberMember
(@tudorfan27)

Posted : 09/11/2014 1:48 am

Thankyou for all your nice comments. It's just hard when people with clear skin comment on your skin in any way whether it be makeup or your natural skin. Makeup does make me feel more confident, at least it stops people from trying to suggest acne remedies.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 09/11/2014 2:17 am

I'm sorry to hear that you've had to deal with this. People can be very insensitive and rude without even realizing it sometimes. Other times they just try to project their own insecurities on you. They don't realize how strong you are for dealing with acne on a day to day basis...and they probably never will.

MemberMember
(@jennilcee)

Posted : 09/11/2014 3:15 am

Sorry that those people were pretty rude about it all. I recently has this happen to me a week ago. I had been breaking out so bad and wore tons of makeup to cover it.. And my co worker pointed it out callin it a cake face ! How rude! I totally get how you feel.. It's embarrassing! But hey don't sweat the small things and screw what people say. Sometimes I think people say things without thinking, and don't mean to hurt your feelings. And if makeup lifts your self confidence, like it does mine .. Keep on doing it and keep doing your thing. Don't let people's rude opinions bring you down. And good luck on your acne journey:)

MemberMember
(@tudorfan27)

Posted : 09/12/2014 2:10 am

People can be really insensitive because they don't realise what we acne suffers go through. I hate when people complain about one pimple and I'm here like, well I have to cake on makeup because I have tons of pimples. Thank you to Jennilcee for sharing your experience, it made me feel better knowing that others have had the same difficulties as myself.

MemberMember
(@alice9)

Posted : 09/12/2014 10:59 am

Sorry to hear what you've been going through. Some people can be rude and mean but you are better than that and you dont need to put up with them! Just focus on your own goal - battling acne! The process is tough but keep your head up high even when they say something upsetting. I mean its just makeup I don't see whats the big deal with it that your "friends" need to constantly say those uncomfortable words. Ignore them and stay fabulous!

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 09/14/2014 9:16 am

Get over it and stop whining about what other people say about you.

How the fuck is that going to solve her social problems?

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 09/14/2014 1:44 pm

I'm sorry that people are so rude.

With acne, less really is more. Makeup is a necessary evil for women it seems, but it does make our acne worse.

Protect your skin with Body Shop Aloe serum before you apply your makeup.

A BB cream as foundation and a translucent powder applied with a brush will help your tone just enough. If your texture is bad, layering on the makeup will make acne look far more obvious and worsen the acne. (There are a lot of ways to spackle on heavy makeup to look passable from a distance or with photoshop, but it exacerbates acne.)

Clean and Clear oil wipes will help with things going cakey in your t-zone.

A water spritzer with distilled water and a drop or two of the aloe serum in it will keep the makeup fresh throughout the day.

I'll freshen my powder once or twice.

When you're back home, wash it off!

You can also explore mineral makeup brands, but avoid the ingredients mica and bismuth.

MemberMember
(@tudorfan27)

Posted : 09/14/2014 3:26 pm

Thanks for the advice and tips ZhenZhu :). I'll keep that in mind next time I apply my makeup. I use Maybelline BB cream but I think the undertone is wrong for my skin type. Any recommendations of foundation or BB cream that's ok for acne-prone skin would be greatly appreciated.

MemberMember
(@sga14)

Posted : 09/14/2014 4:22 pm

Hi guys,

The girl who yelled that out in your class is an a-hole. Your friends, however, may just be telling you their honest opinion. Getting your foundation to look natural is actually pretty difficult and takes trial and error. Are you using liquid foundation? That may not be the best option for someone with acne. I had acne all through high school and started wearing liquid foundation to cover it up. I think that made it way worse. This is my suggestion - get tinted BB cream to act as a moisturizer/primer. Spread a very thin even layer over your entire face (make sure to blend into your neck). After that, depending on the severity/need for coverage, dab BB cream or primer directly onto zits. You don't need to go heavy all over your face. Once that's done, pat a light layer of powder foundation all over your face to set everything. If you do a decent job of finding your shade, it shouldn't stand out to the point where people are calling you out. Find a friend you trust and get their opinion on how it looks. Try different products. There are also a lot of tutorials on YouTube. You'll eventually get it right.

Thanks for the advice and tips ZhenZhu . I'll keep that in mind next time I apply my makeup. I use Maybelline BB cream but I think the undertone is wrong for my skin type. Any recommendations of foundation or BB cream that's ok for acne-prone skin would be greatly appreciated.

I use Maybelline, but I like Cover Girl as well. I've heard people say good things about Stila's BB cream. They sell it at Ulta. Neutrogena makes a pretty good primer for acne prone skin.

MemberMember
(@tudorfan27)

Posted : 09/14/2014 5:31 pm

Thanks for the advice Sga14 :). I do wear BB cream but the problem is that the undertone is too rosy for my olive skin and the options are light, medium and dark :(. I do try to make my makeup minimal, but people still do point it out like its their problem . Some days I only wear concealer and some setting powder.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 09/15/2014 5:29 am

People point out my acne and I don't get my feelings hurt over it. Don't let it hurt your socially, people will insult you.

Yes that is true, but it is the people that are doing that, not her. How is she going to make friends?

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 09/15/2014 8:58 am

people who make you feel low by pointing out 'imperfections' are just trying to make themselves feel better, and most people can only do so by bringing others down because they dont shine on their own.

keep a log of you skin condition and try and frind out what causes your acne. it will help. You will have good days and bad days, but remember that acne doesnt make you ugly (in fact people who have acne tend to have less wrinkly skin when they are older, assuming they dont overuse acne products).

plus, a smile will distract from anything else :)

good luck.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 09/15/2014 2:51 pm

Thanks for the advice and tips ZhenZhu smile.png. I'll keep that in mind next time I apply my makeup. I use Maybelline BB cream but I think the undertone is wrong for my skin type. Any recommendations of foundation or BB cream that's ok for acne-prone skin would be greatly appreciated.

Body Shop makes a Tea Tree BB- they don't have too many shades.

Another option you have is to make your own BB cream by mixing a mineral makeup (check out Ella Rose on iamgreenminded.com, especially the MSM concealer) with Body Shop Aloe Serum, which is rated as a top product in all the cosmetics ingredients guide- and I can also vouch for it's awesomeness.

Mix just a little into a sample size jar, like you get at Body Shop or a department store, and you have a 1-2 days worth (don't make much more at a time since you'll be dipping your fingers in, which can contaminate your makeup.)

You can also do this BB recipe with another light moisturizer and liquid foundation or pressed powder of your choice. (Look up potentially acnegenic ingredients on Beautypedia!)

MemberMember
(@khaled91)

Posted : 09/20/2014 10:10 pm

People point out my acne and I don't get my feelings hurt over it. Don't let it hurt your socially, people will insult you.

I presume that you're well aware of the concept that people actually differ, The fact that you might be stronger by not paying attention when people point out your acne is something completely up to you because you have the ability to bear their stupid comments and stares. Others like me can't because they are sensitive "Not over sensitive" No offence I didn't mean that you're not sensitive but maybe not as strong as you to deal with these situations it's only logical to feel sad when people with clear skin say comments about my face.

So It's not up to us not to get affected socially !!! Just feelings we normally experience because of how dicks people sometimes can be.

MemberMember
(@kittyvine1)

Posted : 09/20/2014 10:26 pm

I use bare essential foundation. They're a little pricy ($30) but it's oil-free but its definitely not as bad for your skin as other foundations. It's light weight, perfect for olive skin tones and it covers. Remember to powder/set your foundation but lightly (you don't want to over powder, it makes your foundation too obvious!). I deal with a ton of hormonal acne and even more scarring, but this helps get rid of my scars and makes my foundation way less noticeable.

My friends had seen my real skin. My two best friends are beautiful & blessed with amazing skin. I'm so happy for them. But it makes me feel so ugly sometimes. And they both never really wear foundation. My mom always points out how my friends don't wear foundation but I do and "why can't you be more like them? such clean skin?" It hurts. But she doesn't understand either, being blessed with clear skin as well. The first time they did see my real skin was when we went swimming in my friends pool. My makeup held up okay but towards the end it washed away. And we were hosing the chorine off and she sprayed my face and i was bare-faced. I felt so embarrassed :/

As for dealing with people in your school, I know how you feel. Trust me. I've been in your situation. What I did was I started wearing makeup. I got quite good at it too. I'd buy a bunch of makeup and watch youtube tutorial ALL the time. Just a tip from me to you, avoid foundations that don't say oil-free. MAKE SURE YOUR FOUNDATION IS OIL-FREE. That's what my derma told me at least. And once I switched to oil-free makeup, half my acne cleared. Al