Notifications
Clear all

Need Some Reassurance...is This Normal On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 09/08/2014 2:00 pm

So about six months ago I broke out severely with cystic pustular acne...the way it spread rapidly makes me believe that is could have been some kind of folliculitis and hormonal issue. I am currently on my 7th week of Accutane and continue to break out in very large cystic type pustules...and underground cysts mostly centered around the same area. cheeks and chin. Is this a normal type of breakout to get on Accutane...with large pustules...will Accutane treat folliculitis and hormonal acne? Im just a little disappointed as its week 7 and im still breaking out nasty...this whole thing has got me really down and im just waiting for it all to stop.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/08/2014 5:52 pm

Accutane will help most acne but it may not keep it gone. It's not unusual to not respond till later in the course too

Chin up

MemberMember
(@newdawn)

Posted : 09/09/2014 9:05 pm

A bad acne flare is usually expected with starting accutane in quite a few people. It's not abnormal. I know if quite a few people that have had this happen to them which is why I was always hesitant about starting the drug as I didn't want to deal with a major flare.

I don't believe there's such a thing as "hormonal acne". All acne is influenced by hormones but also how the skin sheds and a couple of other factors science still has not uncovered. My dermatologist always has said "there are no special types of acne" - which is why accutane pretty much works for everyone.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 09/10/2014 9:19 am

So much wrong information in this ^ post.