Notifications
Clear all

What Is This?

MemberMember
(@muzza95)

Posted : 09/07/2014 12:57 pm

Really need some help her!

Quick bit of back ground. After struggling with severe acne for about 6 months I finally find a saving grace in the form of epiduo and oral erythromycin (as I couldn't have roaccutane). Basically completely cleared me and only left me with some minor scars. Best feeling I've ever had. Then after a night out during a couple of stressful weeks, I woke up with a very oily face and a couple of slightly inflamed whiteheads. Kept on going with both treatments but my skin kept getting more oily. Gradually kept going down hill and tried some other home treatments instead including green tea. Thing is this is nothing like what I had before. I can basically rub off the white heads and I get these crusty orange bits in my nose angels and when the whiteheads get rubbed off. Thought it was a staph infection so got some flucloxacillin which I think has made things worse. Can someone please help me as it could be ages before I can see a derm again (UK, NHS blah blah blah) and uni starts In a couple of weeks. Is it Pityrosporum Folliculitis seeing as I was on both for a long time? Its so painful and horrible.

Some other info. Zynerit temporarily helped clear some of the whiteheads and crusty stuff but there was still a bit there and it came back towards the end of the course. Originally epiduo made my skin dry, then I adjusted, then after a couple months and that night it makes it even more oily

post-419282-0-58755000-1410112337_thumb.

post-419282-0-40790400-1410112360_thumb.

post-419282-0-33893600-1410112386_thumb.

post-419282-0-58755000-1410112337_thumb.

post-419282-0-40790400-1410112360_thumb.

post-419282-0-33893600-1410112386_thumb.

MemberMember
(@kopunch)

Posted : 09/07/2014 1:02 pm

Hey man , glad you don't think it's acne. So many people have folliculitis and treat it like acne. I did for almost 15 yrs. anyways I'm clear as can be for 6 months. Cloxacillin didn't help me either. I used a cleanser called hibiclens (dexidin4 in canada) and oral prescription called bactrim ds (sulfatrim ds or septra ds) I didn't notice any improvement until I started the bactrim, I took a strong dose for 2 weeks and it killed all that folliculitis , and I've just been using the cleanser twice a day for the last 6 months and it's been night and day from this time last year. Hope that helps

MemberMember
(@acnegone5)

Posted : 09/07/2014 6:41 pm

Are you using any products that might be affecting your skin? Using BP cream should help you and then use an oil-free moisturiser. When your skin is dry your body pumps out oil on your face, and actually using a moisturiser works by telling your body that you dont need the extra oil, making acne better.

Accutane works great, not sure why you wasn't able to take it? I'd try the above and if it doesnt work get on the Accutane, as it will more than likely fully cure you from acne.

The dermatologist will probably offer you antibiotics or Accutane.

You said that you're about to start college, which makes me think that your acne is a flare up from stress. Im guessing it's stressful in the weeks before you are about to start college. Try reducing your stress, hard I know! Even harder when you have acne, it can become a vicious circle. You could try something called 5-htp (stress reducer) supplement if you feel stressed.

MemberMember
(@muzza95)

Posted : 09/08/2014 4:58 am

I was using epiduo with 2.5%BP in it which didn't help that much with this particular "bout". This isn't like what I had before. Its like whiteheads without the spot like bit but it's still inflamed and when they "leak" there is usually a crusty yellow/Orange coating after. Looks very similar to what's described here:

http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/317185/mrsa-impetigo-bacterial-skin-infection-treatments

Thing is I just finished finished a 7 day course of flucloxacillin which possibly made it worse. This got me thinking it could be a fungal infection from long term antibiotics so I've started using nizoral. No progress yet

F

Accutane works great, not sure why you wasn't able to take it? I'd try the above and if it doesnt work get on the Accutane, as it will more than likely fully cure you from acne.

The dermatologist will probably offer you antibiotics or Accutane.

MemberMember
(@muzza95)

Posted : 09/09/2014 5:04 pm

Thanks KOPUNCH!! Yeh hopefully the swab will tell me what it is. Anyone know if folliculitus can be diagnosed from a swab? Do my pictures look anything like what you had (e.g. small soft whiteheads mixed with some crusty orange stuff)

Shall see how the next week goes and I'll see what happens. Did you notice a difference in oilyness with your combination?

MemberMember
(@kopunch)

Posted : 09/11/2014 5:47 pm

Folliculitis caused by staph bacteria buddy. I'll pm u. And yes swab can tell the bacteria strain