Notifications
Clear all

21 Male. Mild-Moderate Acne. Help.

MemberMember
(@dimidimi)

Posted : 09/06/2014 2:49 pm

Hi there.

I've been battling acne for years now. It's affected my confidence completely and there hasn't been a single day over the past 5 years or so that I haven't been acne free.

I've tried most cleansers, exfoliaters and moisturizers on the general market. Most seem to aggravate my acne, and I wake up the next morning with a horrendous breakout of whiteheads and pimples.

The acne generally affects my chin/around mouth area, my temples and the occasional breakout between the eyebrows/forehead.

My skin is clearly very sensitive, and it can get quite oily. At the same time, it can become quite dry - so I guess this is what people call "combination skin"?

I've been to the GP, tried the antibiotics and the "Differin" gel to lather up on my face. It doesn't work at all.

I've tried coconut oil, and that just made me red like a tomato.

Any advice? I'm rather hesitant to try the accutane stuff because I've heard it has some rather bad side-effects, but if there is no other alternative....

MemberMember
(@dreamerhigh)

Posted : 09/06/2014 6:04 pm

Have you tried natural remedies? also there is a "natural alternative" to accutance sort of before going on accutane please try vitamin B5

Vitamin B5 Treatment for Acne

In this article we will present to you information about Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) as a treatment for acne. We will explain the role of Vitamin B5 in the metabolism of fats and oils, and how increasing the metabolism of oils will reduce oil accumulation in the skin, and thereby reduce or eliminate acne. Both Accutane and Vitamin B5 work by different mechanisms. Accutane works by shrinking the sebaceous glands at the root of the hair follicles. However, Vitamin B5 works by reducing the oil production of the sebaceous glands. This is done by increasing Coenzyme A (Co-A) which increases the metabolic breakdown of oils by normal activity of cell physiology.

Oh yeah cocnut oil is known to clog pores

check out everything you need to know about it:

http://www.drdach.com/Acne_B5.html

MemberMember
(@ooo)

Posted : 09/07/2014 4:06 pm

Since my 20s, I've been getting more acne around the mouth. The things I've noticed that might have caused it falls into three categories. (1) Flossing. Due to my sensitive skin, if a dirty piece of floss touches my mouth, I generally get acne there the next day. (2) Oily food from restaurants. My guess is that they generally don't use the healthiest oil. (3) Whiten strips / toothpaste. I generally get canker sores from using them and acne around the mouth follows soon after.

As for the rest of your acne, sometimes its best to just let your skin breathe. I should take my own advice. I've been trying to get rid of blackheads on my nose, but I've just made the matter worse. I've noticed that the very next day I use a face mask, I'll have a lot of white heads and a few inflamed spot.

Hang in there!

MemberMember
(@acnegone5)

Posted : 09/07/2014 6:27 pm

Do you use oil-free moisturiser? If not then this would make your acne worse for sure, using an oil-free one on the other hand should have a positive effect on your skin. Do you use BP cream? This is good for killing bacteria etc and used for acne treatment. Try taking a multi vitamin and also add 15mg of zinc supplement too.

Diet has little to play with acne from what I've researched, perhaps milk and sugar might have a role to play though, so keep those two low in your diet.

If that doesnt help then definitely consider Accutane. You might hear the very rare story about it, but most of it is hyped up etc. Females who take it may have different issues though with it.

Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@healthnut91)

Posted : 09/11/2014 11:18 pm

Since my 20s, I've been getting more acne around the mouth. The things I've noticed that might have caused it falls into three categories. (1) Flossing. Due to my sensitive skin, if a dirty piece of floss touches my mouth, I generally get acne there the next day. (2) Oily food from restaurants. My guess is that they generally don't use the healthiest oil. (3) Whiten strips / toothpaste. I generally get canker sores from using them and acne around the mouth follows soon after.

As for the rest of your acne, sometimes its best to just let your skin breathe. I should take my own advice. I've been trying to get rid of blackheads on my nose, but I've just made the matter worse. I've noticed that the very next day I use a face mask, I'll have a lot of white heads and a few inflamed spot.

Hang in there!

I'm in a similar boat as you with respect to the sensitive skin and irritation caused by flossing, toothpaste, whitestrips etc. which further leads to the development of acne around my mouth and lips.

Below I will briefly explain how I have learned to control my acne:

1) Cut out: all dairy (with the exception of kefir)

high glycemic foods and liquids

anything containing trans fat (aka partially hydrogenated oils)

2) Get enough fiber daily (at least 30g)

3) B5 supplementation + l-carnitine (8g b-5/day split into 3-4 equal doses + 1g l-carnitine/day split evenly as well)

This has worked pretty well for me but depending on the severity of the indiviudal the amount of b5 required will vary. Note that some individuals experience hair loss/thinning with b-5 supplementation. It is important to take either a multi-v or b-complex daily along side the b-5 if you choose to go that path. I have been using this method for 2.5 years and is pretty effective although I will say I am tired of taking b-5 all the time and am worrysome of potential long-term side effects...

Forgot to mention above that I use fluoride-free toothpaste because regular toothpaste was too irritating to my lips.