Notifications
Clear all

20 Year Old Acne

MemberMember
(@dumondhatton)

Posted : 09/02/2014 3:28 pm

I am a 20 year old guy I've had acne since right around my 18th birthday I got it pretty late than most people do. Which is why I don't understand why I got it since it's basically post puberty I've tried everything and it's cleared up a lot since I first got it but it's still hard to find confidence with anything from a job interview to finding a date it takes a large toll on me. My lifestyle isn't unhealthy, I excerise an hour everyday, I eat moderately healthly, I take care of myself and it just doesn't make sense to me. I don't know if it's hormonal or some lifestyle habit that needs to change, I do smoke pot occasionally but I don't see how that can do any harm. I also am not very knowledgable with acne so I don't really how severe it really is. If anybody has any advice or options they could share with me I would really appreciate it, I'll also post some pictures to determine the severity. Thank you.

post-420490-0-86710100-1409689623_thumb.

post-420490-0-99702100-1409689643_thumb.

post-420490-0-86710100-1409689623_thumb.

post-420490-0-99702100-1409689643_thumb.

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 09/03/2014 11:18 am

I'm sorry you're struggling, Dumondhatton! It would be frustrating to start having acne after puberty out of nowhere. If it helps any, your acne doesn't look bad at all. I personally think with some care you can clear it up fairly quickly.

What have you done to clear up your skin some so far? Do you take any supplements or vitamins? Sometimes even proper vitamin intake (like adequate amounts of vitamin D) clears people up.

What is your skin care regimen now? Do you use any topicals? How do you wash your face? If your acne is hormonal it shouldn't make a huge difference but it still can affect things. Even though most of my acne was hormonal, sometimes I would get random bursts of concentrated acne that wouldn't go away unless I used hydrogen peroxide to cleanse for a few days which would kill the bacteria.

I've read a few articles that suggest smoking pot can raise estrogen, but I have personally never had a problem with it and I am sensitive to even small raises in estrogen.

If all less-drastic measures don't work, there are plenty of other things to try. Have you ever been to a derm? I just ask because they usually put people on anti-biotics first to see if that helps. If it's hormonal, however, it probably won't. There are supplements you can buy to help with hormonal balance as well, but make sure you do your research on them before jumping in and remember to only start one thing at a time. Some common ones are Saw Palmetto and DIM.

I hope that helps a little. Try not to get discouraged (stress only makes acne worse) because there are plenty of things you can do and your acne really doesn't look that bad at all! (:

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/03/2014 1:30 pm

I've learned over the years that most people's definition of "healthy" is not enough. Because of all the great advances of modern medicine and the lack of natural selection in recent years, we have lots of people running around with bad genetic traits. For example, having really bad vision used to mean that you probably wouldn't have kids. You couldn't support yourself and no one wanted to marry you and pass that on. Now needing glasses and contacts is almost the norm, and we keep passing that on.
You probably have a genetic predisposition to acne that means you have to work ten times as hard as the next guy to have great skin. You'll have to make some more lifestyle changes and you will probably also have to rely on some supplements to help you get there. Yes, this is possible even if no one in your family has acne. Genes are pretty dang complicated. You just happened to get that unique mix that left you vulnerable to acne.
This is my short list of advice:
To reduce the negative effects of insulin/glucose and IGF:
- NO milk or milk products. Don't make the common mistake of replacing it with soy milk, which also has negative hormonal effects. If you need a milk substitute, go with unsweetened Almond or Rice milk.
- NO sugar. This is a big one. NO soda. NO fruit juice. NO candy. NO desserts. Avoid refined carbs if you can.
- NO caffeine. Caffeine is as bad or worse than sugar at negatively stimulating the insulin/glucose cycle. NO energy drinks. NO coffee. NO green/black/white tea.
- NO protein powders / supplements / workout boosters. Again, most of these stimulate IGF and also stimulate testosterone.
To reduce the negative effects of testosterone and DHT:
- Do more cardio and less weightlifting. Lifting weights is a huge stimulant of DHT.
- Take a DHT reducing supplement. Saw palmetto extract is the most common. There's also stinging nettle and pumpkin seed oil.
Topical stuff to do (won't cure the acne but will help you get through it until your hormones balance):
- Benzoyl peroxide wash once a day. However a lot of products don't work well. The only one that really pulled through without over drying my skin was the Clean and Clear Continuous Control (yes, that specific one, clean and clear has some other ones which aren't as good.)
- Avoiding LEAVE-ON products in general. Probably not an issue if you're a guy. But a lot of women try to wear makeup, moisturizer, or sunscreen everyday. Any leave-on product has the potential to clog your pores and make matters worse.
General things that contribute to skin health:
- Vitamin D3. It's a pro-hormone that positively affects the skin. It takes about 72 hours for sun exposure to convert to D3 in your body and it DOESN'T WORK IF YOU SHOWER EVERY DAY. Weird but the conversion process takes place in the oils of your skin. I'm guessing you shower more often than once every 72 hours. Most people in first world countries are D3 deficient because of indoor lifestyles and also this pesky personal hygiene thing. So you need to take a D3 supplement every day. Minimum 10,000 IU a day.
- Vitamin A. You don't need to go overboard on this, but about 5,000 IU a day will help you normalize keratinization.
MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 09/03/2014 4:22 pm

You probably have a genetic predisposition to acne that means you have to work ten times as hard as the next guy to have great skin. You'll have to make some more lifestyle changes and you will probably also have to rely on some supplements to help you get there. Yes, this is possible even if no one in your family has acne. Genes are pretty dang complicated. You just happened to get that unique mix that left you vulnerable to acne.

This is my short list of advice:
To reduce the negative effects of insulin/glucose and IGF:
- NO milk or milk products. Don't make the common mistake of replacing it with soy milk, which also has negative hormonal effects. If you need a milk substitute, go with unsweetened Almond or Rice milk.
- NO sugar. This is a big one. NO soda. NO fruit juice. NO candy. NO desserts. Avoid refined carbs if you can.
- NO caffeine. Caffeine is as bad or worse than sugar at negatively stimulating the insulin/glucose cycle. NO energy drinks. NO coffee. NO green/black/white tea.

I believe you in that stuff could potentially help one's skin, but I would be so depressed if I had to eliminate all of that stuff, haha! I'm clear (after severe acne for a decade) but I indulge in all of the above. XD

Does acne necessarily always have to be a genetic predisposition? What if it's just a temporary upset that goes away with a little effort? I think environment, stress, etc. have a pretty big influence, so it might be possible that one could have acne temporarily and not necessarily have to "battle" it their whole lives... just a thought. Not trying to argue with you though, you have a lot of good advice! (:

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/05/2014 1:47 pm

For sure. I didn't mean acne is always genetic. I just tend to give people the uh...benefit of the doubt that if they're bothering to post on here that it has been an ongoing thing. I mean by the time I was posting on acne forums I had exhausted so many avenues. I remember getting angry when I would ask about my acne and I would get things I had already tried... "see a dermatologist" "sleep more" "drink more water" "exercise more" "stress less" "get some ProActive".

I had to take a really serious regimented approach to get a hold of my acne after years and years.