Male 22, Absorica

MemberMember
(@buckeyes92)

Posted : 09/01/2014 2:50 pm

Hey guys I'm a 22 year old male who recently just got prescribed to Absorica and I am to take two 30mg pills a day (6'3, 170)

The reason I'm doing this is to seek advice and to hopefully help others throughout my journey! so questions and feedback are always welcome!

anyway, a little about me:

I've had acne for about 4 years now, i started getting pimples my senior year of high school (late bloomer lol). When i started college thats when it got real bad (alcohol, stress are the reasons I'm guessing why?) but ever since then it hasn't stopped, and on top of that my face is always red, almost like i have rosacea. About a year ago i went to a dermatologist and they prescribed with Solodyn and Epiduo, which helped a little but never fully cleared me up. So about a few weeks ago I visited her again and she prescribed me with accutane, which i've done so much research on its unreal so i was ready for it. And today i finally got it so thats why i'm going to start these logs today.

My plan on here is to post once or twice a week updating you guys on my progress, and posting a picture once a month . Im going to post this picture showing what it looks like pre-accutane.

If you have any questions about anything please ask me! Also if you have advice/tips please let me know!

post-375345-0-61248900-1409601002.jpg

MemberMember
(@buckeyes92)

Posted : 09/02/2014 3:34 pm

hey guys, I'm not sure why but i wrote that first post 5 days ago and it just got posted lasted night.. so today I am on day 5.

No new changes at all, and I wasn't really expecting there to be any this early, but when do the symptoms/side effects kick in? I do have a few new whiteheads poppin up but theres no way that is my initial breakout. Also my lips aren't dry yet, or my skin. So basically i'm just curious as to when I should be expecting those side effects.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/02/2014 5:34 pm

That's a good question. From what I've read from others it depends on the dosage you are on as well as your weight.

Most people get the dry lips by the end of the first month and from then on other things may start to happen, because the dosage is often times increased and the medicine accumulates in your body. So for example, the first month you may have nothing more than dry lips and scalp, but after that you may experience some mild joint pain if you exercise or feel tired. Some people have experienced maybe one rash or nosebleed for the whole treatment, but that's not that common. Others don't have any symptoms except for

dry lips and scalp.

In the end it really depends on the weight, dosage, adverse reactions (very few ppl have them) of your body to the medicine. Your dosage is on the upper range, so you might experience them soon... It's just my opinion.

MemberMember
(@buckeyes92)

Posted : 09/04/2014 12:00 pm

WEEK 1

The side effects are starting! Not a whole lot has happened but I've noticed my lips are definitely dry, but not like peeling or anything extreme like that. I also have broken out around my chin with about 3 new pimples, which are small but painful, I also have one on the bottom of my lip which hurts real bad. Also my face feels real irritated, like it itches, feels dry, and is getting pretty red. Same with my nose, its aways itching, and its real dry around the bottom of nostrils. I've also noticed my scalp has been itching, but theres no dandruff or anything like that. Other than all of that, i feel fine.

I'm curious as to what products you guys think are best to use when on accutane to deal with side effects, also what your routines are.

Here are mine:

Products: Cetaphil Gentle skin cleanser, Neutrogoena sensitive skin moisturizer, your basic chap stick, no vitamins.

Routine: Shower in morning, wash face with Cetaphil, moisturize with moisturizer, and then use chap stick when needed.

Basically , I want to know if there are better products i should be using, like what kind of chap stick, vitamins, etc...

Let me know! Thanks!

MemberMember
(@breakitoutnow)

Posted : 09/14/2014 11:07 am

Hey there! As for products, I like the cetaphil face cleanser, CeraVe am and pm moisturizers for the face, and cetaphil lotion for moisturizing the rest of my body. I pretty much have an armory of moisturizing products in my bathroom haha. As for lip stuff, I don't think chap stick is going to cut it. Aquaphor is really good for awhile (and I think it works really well if to have any open cuts or sores on your face from picking pimples, which you should absolutely not do) but even aquaphor wasn't cutting it on the lips for awhile. I've been using blistex medicated lip ointment lately and that seems to do the trick...for now.

As for accutane effects, I noticed mild symptoms in the first two weeks and then more from that point on. Cleared up really nicely at the end of month 1, hell again in month two, then from the end of month two I've only had maybe three real zits (and numerous clogged pore/tiny tiny whitehead things). I'm wrapping up month 4 now and looking at 1-2 more months probably.

For me, personally, accutane has been tremendously helpful at clearing my skin. There is simply no doubt my skin looks 100xs better. Side effects have been pretty obnoxious for me lately however. Small things like dry lips, dry eyes, yes, but also headaches, joint pains, major fatigue, rashes, facial flushing, general red face. Crummy things. I don't regret my decision to do accutane at all, but it can be, for lack of a better word, shitty sometimes. That said, it affects everyone differently and I venture to say you are several months away from any of those side effects, if you even get them.

Advice: moisturize frequently and early, before you even think you need it. From your screen name, it sounds like you could be in Ohio (go bucks?) and having grown up there, I know how dry Ohio winters get. You are going to need to moisturize like a fiend, especially when you get into month 4 in January.

Good luck on your course and keep everyone posted!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/14/2014 3:02 pm

Woohoo! Good luck to you :)

MemberMember
(@buckeyes92)

Posted : 09/17/2014 7:27 pm

Hey there! As for products, I like the cetaphil face cleanser, CeraVe am and pm moisturizers for the face, and cetaphil lotion for moisturizing the rest of my body. I pretty much have an armory of moisturizing products in my bathroom haha. As for lip stuff, I don't think chap stick is going to cut it. Aquaphor is really good for awhile (and I think it works really well if to have any open cuts or sores on your face from picking pimples, which you should absolutely not do) but even aquaphor wasn't cutting it on the lips for awhile. I've been using blistex medicated lip ointment lately and that seems to do the trick...for now.

As for accutane effects, I noticed mild symptoms in the first two weeks and then more from that point on. Cleared up really nicely at the end of month 1, hell again in month two, then from the end of month two I've only had maybe three real zits (and numerous clogged pore/tiny tiny whitehead things). I'm wrapping up month 4 now and looking at 1-2 more months probably.

For me, personally, accutane has been tremendously helpful at clearing my skin. There is simply no doubt my skin looks 100xs better. Side effects have been pretty obnoxious for me lately however. Small things like dry lips, dry eyes, yes, but also headaches, joint pains, major fatigue, rashes, facial flushing, general red face. Crummy things. I don't regret my decision to do accutane at all, but it can be, for lack of a better word, shitty sometimes. That said, it affects everyone differently and I venture to say you are several months away from any of those side effects, if you even get them.

Advice: moisturize frequently and early, before you even think you need it. From your screen name, it sounds like you could be in Ohio (go bucks?) and having grown up there, I know how dry Ohio winters get. You are going to need to moisturize like a fiend, especially when you get into month 4 in January.

Good luck on your course and keep everyone posted!

Appreciate the feedback! and yes go Buckeyes! lol

MemberMember
(@buckeyes92)

Posted : 09/17/2014 7:58 pm

WEEK 3

Hey guys , my plan was to post once a week but I missed week 2 because I was busy moving and have been busy with school and work.

but anyways, I'm definitely starting to notice changes due to accutane. Lips are dry, i'm using chap stick (aquaphor and Nivea Milk & Honey) at least 3 times an hour it seems like lol, and recently I've notice that the skin on my face has gotten drier and a lot redder which sucks. That's about all I have noticed so far really.

As for pimples I had a lot come in around my chin after week 1 and during week 2 I didn't have any except for a big cyst on my forehead (the pimples that hurt like hell that are under the skin) and I would get a few random ones wherever on my face but it seemed like they went away within a day it was weird, i've never had pimples go away that fast so i don't know if that has to do with accutane or what. As of right now I still have that one on my forehead but it is definitely a lot smaller and I have a decent size one on side of nose and a few random ones that like i said will most likely disappear when i wake up.

For those of you just starting accutane and who get those pimples that you want to pick at or pop DONT DO IT. From what I read our skin is more vulnerable to scarring when on accutane, and when I had that big one on my forehead it was so tempting to just go to town on it and get rid of it, but I just waited it out and its almost gone now so just be patient!

Also I recently just bought new face wash which is Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, before I got that i was using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. Would you guys know which one is better?? Reason I ask is because the new one I just bought (the facial cleanser) seems harsher on my face than the old one (skin cleanser).

Lastly, for any guys reading this, do you have any tips for shaving? I've been using just a regular electric shaver maybe four times a week. Is it best to limit shaving? or is it best to keep a clean shaven face with an actual razor? The reason I ask is because my skin is really dry where any facial hair is , it's almost like dandruff on my chin.

Thanks guys! and if you have any questions or feedback don't be shy! I'll post next week for my 1 month update with a picture!

MemberMember
(@michaelsomething)

Posted : 09/20/2014 10:55 pm

Hey Buck!

So I'm a 22 years old male as well and I have been taking Absorica for about 4 months now. For pretty much the whole duration of the drug I used: Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, ScarZone, and Vaseline. I used the Cleanser morning along with the Scarzone and the Cleanser at night with the Lotion.

So far its worked fine. I feel like the less products you use, the better.

In terms of shaving, I use the electric shaver. However, you shouldn't use it too often. I only use it once a week. Because you skin is so thin while on Accutane, using the shaving is kind of like an exfoliator, which isn't something you should do too often.

But congrats on making it through a month! :) Although I didn't see too much of a difference in the first month, by the 2nd it started to become noticieable. By Month 3, my skin was really soft, and now that its Month 4, I've had no breakouts, soft skin, and clearer skin (just have a bit of hyperpigmentation). The only thing that I don't like are the raccoon eyes I have from facial flushing and the raw/red lips. However, you will start to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon. You just have to stick it out and you'll make it! :)

In case you wanted to know, my dosage was: 40mg for Month 1, 80mg for Month 2, 60mg for Month 3, and 60mg for Month 4. I had some issues with my blood work, so its kinda been all over the place. But I'm 61.2 kg and shooting for the 120mg/kg dosage, which will be around 7400mg. Right now I believe I'm at about 6500mg.

If you have any questions, let me know! :)

MemberMember
(@buckeyes92)

Posted : 10/10/2014 6:44 pm

MONTH 2 Week 1

Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks, been extremely busy.

I went to derm a couple weeks ago and she prescribed me with the same dosage (30mg twice daily) for this month. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not, from what i've read on here usually people get their dosage increased.

My skin hasn't changed all that much other than the dry skin, and not as many whiteheads, and my face is really red except for around my eyes, so i look like a raccoon lol. Also the dry lips is a pain.

Haven't noticed any serious side effects like back pain or depression or anything like that. I noticed that my head hurts a lot more often and thats about it.

Anyways heres a picture from the start of month 2. Excuse the scruff lol

if you have any questions let me know!

post-375345-0-46816700-1412984978.jpg

post-375345-0-81303800-1412985123.jpg

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/14/2014 10:06 pm

I thought I was the only one!! My face is soo red except for around my eyes and around my mouth. It looks really fully. You think this will calm down??

MemberMember
(@buckeyes92)

Posted : 10/15/2014 7:49 pm

I thought I was the only one!! My face is soo red except for around my eyes and around my mouth. It looks really fully. You think this will calm down??

I'm sure it will once the course is over haha, at least I hope it will. My face was like this before I started accutane though, it has just gotten worse since i started it.