Notifications
Clear all

Am I Crazy? Ortho Tri-Cyclen Causing Hair Loss?

MemberMember
(@icandream)

Posted : 08/31/2014 9:19 pm

I was tempted to post this as a blog, but figured I get more responses here (hopefully).

I need the opinion of some sensible people. I have a horrible habit of misdiagnosing myself with things I don't actually have, so I'm going to ask you guys first before I go running to the doctor begging for solutions.

I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 1.5 months now. I think I'm losing my hair... and I associate it completely with Ortho Tri-Cyclen as I started noticing lots of hair loss in the shower on week 3 of taking the pills. I am also on Accutane, but the hair loss began before I started treatment.

I'm a bit confused... Ortho Tri-Cyclen is a LOW ANDROGEN BCP... Assuming my hair loss is genetic, it should HELP with hair loss, not cause it. Additionally, hair loss DOES NOT run in my family. Everyone who has died pretty much died with a full head of hair...

However, the amount of hair I'm losing in the shower, on my bed, on my pillow, and all over my floors is a little concerning. I read somewhere that people usually lose up to an average of 100 strands of hair a day. I'm not really counting, but I THINK I may be losing more.

Reasons for my concern:
I've pretty much been sporting bangs my entire life, and they're starting to feel thin... I used to look in the mirror and think "Wow, my bangs are thick, maybe I should get them thinned." Now I look in the mirror and think "I don't have enough bangs!"
My entire head of hair feels thinner in general. I used to think I had a pretty thick head of hair, and I was proud of it. I don't feel the same anymore.

I can pick a small patch of hair to pull on and 2-3 will come off 90% of the time.

I've been counting the amount of hair I manage to stick up on the walls during my showers, and they've been averaging around 40-50 strands. Keep in mind these showers are 24 hours apart and the numbers don't include the strands that manage to fall and escape into the sewers.

Here's where the opinion of sensible people come in:
1. Seeing those numbers and the attached pictures, do you think this is a NORMAL amount of hair loss? Am I just cray cray?
2. If not, what should I do? Should I just STOP taking BCPs? I'm taking it as bc for Accutane, but I am not sexually active... It's just extra precaution in case I can't control myself one night.
3. Has anyone else experienced hair loss while on a low androgenic birth control pill? Did the hair loss stop after discontinuation (or even continuation) of the pills? I'm hoping my body is just in some kind of hormonal shock right now and will get used to it eventually. I experienced some pretty unpleasant side effects the first month that were all temporary.

post-397132-0-32530500-1409537683.jpg

post-397132-0-96199300-1409537685.jpg

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/01/2014 9:49 am

Birth control can absolutely contribute to hair loss -though the hair shown in the pictures don't seem to be abnormal. But you know how much hair loss is normal for you so...... If it continues 2-3 months in, i would recommend you wean off of it. You may want to speak to your doctor about it also. Birth control on accutane is totally unnecessary if you're not sexually active and it is yet another drug your body has to process.

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 09/01/2014 5:17 pm

It could definitely be the birth control pill that's causing the hair loss, but it could also now be the accutane. You could have had hair loss from starting the birth control (from a shift in hormones), but it's hard to tell if you had not taken accutane if it would have slowed or continued after a few months. Accutane definitely causes hair loss for me. If you're really worried you could try a different pill. I've take zovia in the past and it helped my skin and never had hair loss from it.

MemberMember
(@11111111111111)

Posted : 09/15/2014 1:01 pm

I was tempted to post this as a blog, but figured I get more responses here (hopefully).

I need the opinion of some sensible people. I have a horrible habit of misdiagnosing myself with things I don't actually have, so I'm going to ask you guys first before I go running to the doctor begging for solutions.

I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for 1.5 months now. I think I'm losing my hair... and I associate it completely with Ortho Tri-Cyclen as I started noticing lots of hair loss in the shower on week 3 of taking the pills. I am also on Accutane, but the hair loss began before I started treatment.

I'm a bit confused... Ortho Tri-Cyclen is a LOW ANDROGEN BCP... Assuming my hair loss is genetic, it should HELP with hair loss, not cause it. Additionally, hair loss DOES NOT run in my family. Everyone who has died pretty much died with a full head of hair...

However, the amount of hair I'm losing in the shower, on my bed, on my pillow, and all over my floors is a little concerning. I read somewhere that people usually lose up to an average of 100 strands of hair a day. I'm not really counting, but I THINK I may be losing more.

Reasons for my concern:

I've pretty much been sporting bangs my entire life, and they're starting to feel thin... I used to look in the mirror and think "Wow, my bangs are thick, maybe I should get them thinned." Now I look in the mirror and think "I don't have enough bangs!"

My entire head of hair feels thinner in general. I used to think I had a pretty thick head of hair, and I was proud of it. I don't feel the same anymore.

I can pick a small patch of hair to pull on and 2-3 will come off 90% of the time.

I've been counting the amount of hair I manage to stick up on the walls during my showers, and they've been averaging around 40-50 strands. Keep in mind these showers are 24 hours apart and the numbers don't include the strands that manage to fall and escape into the sewers.

1. Seeing those numbers and the attached pictures, do you think this is a NORMAL amount of hair loss? Am I just cray cray?

2. If not, what should I do? Should I just STOP taking BCPs? I'm taking it as bc for Accutane, but I am not sexually active... It's just extra precaution in case I can't control myself one night.

3. Has anyone else experienced hair loss while on a low androgenic birth control pill? Did the hair loss stop after discontinuation (or even continuation) of the pills? I'm hoping my body is just in some kind of hormonal shock right now and will get used to it eventually. I experienced some pretty unpleasant side effects the first month that were all temporary.

If you can, switch to a different birth control. I was also on Ortho and it not only caused significant hair loss but mood swings, anxiety and full-blown panic attacks. Plus, if you're unsure whether your hair loss is caused by Accutane or the BC, at least switching to a diff kind will give you an answer. If your hair is still falling out, maybe it's time to talk to your derm about lowering your Accutane dose. It's not you!! All birth controls are made differently and every woman responds differently. It's all about trial and error. You shouldn't have to suffer.

MemberMember
(@deannejacobs)

Posted : 09/21/2014 5:56 pm

Reasons for my concern:

If you can, switch to a different birth control. I was also on Ortho and it not only caused significant hair loss but mood swings, anxiety and full-blown panic attacks. Plus, if you're unsure whether your hair loss is caused by Accutane or the BC, at least switching to a diff kind will give you an answer. If your hair is still falling out, maybe it's time to talk to your derm about lowering your Accutane dose. It's not you!! All birth controls are made differently and every woman responds differently. It's all about trial and error. You shouldn't have to suffer.

Reasons for my concern:

Birth controls have different side effects, especially anxiety and mood swings. In the extreme, it can also cause depression and of course, hair loss. Regarding hair loss, it is normal to shed SOME hair, but not to the extent that you are losing based on the pictures. You should see your OB, as well as, a hair doctor. I see on TV that Bosley offers free consultation. Also, did you ever consider an IUD? It may be old school, but it is safe.

I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@icandream)

Posted : 09/21/2014 8:48 pm

Thanks for the reply, guys!
I asked my Dermatologist how much hair loss is considered normal shedding, and she told me 100 hairs a day. I told her I felt like I was losing hair based on the fact that the amount shed in the shower suddenly became noticeable three weeks into Ortho Tri-Cyclen. She suggested I do a hair count, but I'm not sure how to ACCURATELY count the amount of hair I lose and average it to amount lost per day. I'm sure I'm losing a ton throughout the day without notice... How do I account for those? ._.

Anyway... I did take a count of shed hair during ONE SINGLE shower recently, and to my horror, it amounted to 125 strands. 125... that's more than I'm supposed to lose in a single day.... let alone a shower. The thing is, that shower was taken 48hrs after the last one. Maybe I'm supposed to average it out between two days? So... 62 strands? That's still too much!

I'm going to assume that I am losing abnormal amounts of hair, and probably have a talk with the Derm again soon.

MemberMember
(@11111111111111)

Posted : 09/22/2014 8:34 am

Reasons for my concern:

>I was tempted to post this as a blog, but figured I get more responses here (hopefully).

Reasons for my concern:

Birth controls have different side effects, especially anxiety and mood swings. In the extreme, it can also cause depression and of course, hair loss. Regarding hair loss, it is normal to shed SOME hair, but not to the extent that you are losing based on the pictures. You should see your OB, as well as, a hair doctor. I see on TV that Bosley offers free consultation. Also, did you ever consider an IUD? It may be old school, but it is safe.

I hope this helps.

I have a NON-hornmonal IUD and it works wonders! No more anxiety attacks, depressive tendencies and hair loss. The only downside is that most insurance companies don't cover it therefore you are stuck with the bill. Some can cost up to $500, but think about it, your money or your sanity?