Notifications
Clear all

Jojoba Oil Alone As A Moisturiser?

MemberMember
(@ellam)

Posted : 08/31/2014 4:26 am

Hi, i've recently started the regimen and am having issues with dry skin. My skin is not ovewhelmingly dry - I suppose long term use of proactiv which contains benzoyl peroxide has got my skin pretty used to harsh products, but it's certainly a little flaky and tight with the benozyl peroxide.

I'm having real issues finding a decent moisturiser. All moisturisers I currently had or have bought have contained comedogenic ingredients. I am using aveeno daily lotion which is labelled non comedogenic but contains isopropyl palmitate as the 5th? ingredient, which ive read is terribly pore clogging. The other i bought, QV lotion, has cetyl alcohol and cereateth 20, again very pore clogging. Ive experienced breakouts using both of them, and while it could well be a natural breakout, the fact that the one while usng aveeno appeared on my forehead where i just about never get acne made me think it might be the product. All the lotions I want to use seem to have so many ingredients and usually a few of them are comedogenic.

I'd like to take a more natural approach to my moistoriser considering benozyl peroxide is so harsh, I'd love to give my skin a moisture boost that is natural and organic while being effective and non pore clogging. I've read that jojoba oil is both these things.

I sort of love using oils on my face despite being quite oily, I love the glow and sheen they give me, I especially enjoy rosehip oil but have read again that this is also moderately comedogenic (so frustrating that everything that seems to give great moisture will also clog my pores, ugh)

Anyway, to the point of this post, is it okay to use jojoba oil as a stand-alone moisturiser? Some people are saying go for it, while others say it is very bad for the skin if it's already dry if you dont use another lotion added to it.

Anyone have any experience using jojoba oil alone as their regimen moisturiser? I'd love to hear some accounts, particularly if you have a similar skin type, which is oily/acne prone but also dry in places especially on BP.

Any scientific views on the matter also very welcomed!

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/31/2014 5:10 am

I tried use it as my moisturiser around 1 week ago funnily enough.

I stopped after 2-3 days though because it caused a bump on my forehead

MemberMember
(@ellam)

Posted : 08/31/2014 5:15 am

hmmm, from what im reading a few people seem to think its not as non comedogenic as its cracked up to be. still, i figure its got to be better than some of the chemicals in these supposedly acne safe lotions. what made you decide it was the jojoba oil that caused the bump?

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/31/2014 7:32 am

hmmm, from what im reading a few people seem to think its not as non comedogenic as its cracked up to be. still, i figure its got to be better than some of the chemicals in these supposedly acne safe lotions. what made you decide it was the jojoba oil that caused the bump?

Because I read somewhere on these forums- about OCM- about oils such as jojoba and some ppl were complaining about the bumps.

Right now I'm just using some anti-acne wash I bought lol

In my opinion try it out for a couple of days but if u also get any bumps or anything then stop it

MemberMember
(@bkubs)

Posted : 06/04/2015 1:21 am

You can give it a shot but jojoba oil is really a hit or miss product. It just depends on your skin type. It's great if it doesn't clog your pores but it is an oil and despite what some will tell you it's kind of notorious for clogging pores and giving you little white/red spots that you normally don't get. It really comes down to if your skin agrees with it. If you notice the spots I mentioned above, don't use it. If all goes well, have at it!

Also you will know if the jojoba oil caused it because the spots will only show in places you put it and 9/10 times it will be a small non-inflamed whitehead (this is just a clogged pore). They are very easy to tell apart from normal acne.