Notifications
Clear all

Age Blocker

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/30/2014 8:03 pm

LivOn labs makes a product that converts glucose to energy and breaks down the byproducts of glucose conversion. "gum-like waste products (AGEs) that build up in the eyes, organs, brain, skin, nerves, joints, muscles, and blood vessels."

The lipospheric delivery medium I've read, is bunk, but I still like that this product exists. Benfotiamine is the AGE blocker, B6 sweeps it away.

The influential Dr. N.V Perricone on sugar and acne (and aging, since both are inflammatory conditions:

"Fibroblasts are the cells that produce collagen and elastin fibers, the strands of tissue that give the skin its strength and flexibility. If just a drop of sugar is added to a cell culture of fibroblasts, within a minute or two we can measure a sharp rise of inflammatory chemicals in the cells.

Sugar can also attach to components in the cell plasma membrane forming chemicals called advanced glycation end products, appropriately known as AGEs. Accumulation of AGEs in a cell can lead to malfunction and, as the acronym indicates, aging. In addition to producing wrinkled, sagging skin, glycation degrades other vital organs, including your kidneys, lungs, and brain.

The bond between the sugar and collagen generates a continuous stream of free radicals, which damage our cells and tissues and stimulate even more inflammation. When glycation occurs in the skin, the ultimate effect is not unlike tanning a leather hide. Over time, skin begins to resemble a cross between beef jerky and an old boot, unevenly discolored and heavily striated with deep lines and grooves."

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 09/01/2014 11:49 am

So I looked into this a little bit and I think it would be worth it to clarify what benfotiamine actually does.

Benfotiamine is a synthetic relative of thiamine. It's been modified to be more lipophilic, which allows for greater biodistribution in tissues. Thiamine, on the other hand, is entirely water soluble, which means that overdosing on it will not really lead to much of a therapeutic benefit as it will be cleared from the blood very quickly. This is the only difference between the two compounds; once thiamine/benfotiamine is inside the cell, the mechanism of action is the same.

The mechanism of action is basically increasing sugar metabolism, which raises the threshold for glucose toxicity (glucose toxicity is the state in which the glucose concentration of a media/cell is high enough for proteins to become randomly glycosylated without the need for enzymes. Glucose toxicity directly results in the formation of AGEs).

What does this mean? It means that if you are on benfotiamine, it could allow you to eat more sugar without experiencing the negative effects. However, it also means that benfotiamine will not remove AGEs that are already formed. There is no known compound that is able to cleave AGEs at any therapeutic level, but a lot of research is currently being done in this area.

That being said, the body naturally metabolizes and excretes AGEs over time. If one were to take benfotiamine for a long period of time to limit the formation of new AGEs, eventually one might see a decrease in total tissue AGEs. This does carry an unknown risk with it, though, as benfotiamine is not thiamine, and could cause unforeseen complications when taken for an extended period of time. This is my conjecture, and I have no evidence for negative side effects, but I think it's worth it to caution against the unknown.

A small final point I would have is that using benfotiamine as an excuse to consume extra sugars would result in no net benefit. If one were to aim to reduce their tissue AGEs, they would need to reduce their sugar intake/glycemic load of foods and take benfotiamine at the same time.