Notifications
Clear all

Accutane On Closed Comedones- Regretting It

MemberMember
(@mindall123)

Posted : 08/30/2014 1:42 pm

I have been on accutane for tiny closed comedones that would not go away for two months now. Well it's just continues to get worse and worse. I'm really starting to regret this. I've never had acne like this. Has anyone else had experience with closed comedones on accutane. I'll post my before (which I would take back any day, way better) then after which is now and terrible. First pic is before and last two are two months on accutane post-409669-0-67645300-1409424023_thumb.post-409669-0-60581000-1409424057_thumb.post-409669-0-58065000-1409424088_thumb.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/30/2014 5:09 pm

I would stick with it. Accutane causes everyones acne to become worse the 2-3 months then you usually see significant improvement. It also depends on your dosage as well.

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/30/2014 5:56 pm

Well,that's actually a good sign.

Closed comedones are "hiding" under the skin,some of them can be situated really deep into the skin. These are the first form of acne.

They have to reach the surface in order to go away.After the surfacing phase,they can follow two different paths: 1- They transform into blackheads,and eventually dries out and falls. 2- They transform into infected pimples.

These two "paths",are known as a form of purging.

As you should know,Accutane literally expels all the junk that was hiding onto your skin layers. Zits,closed/open comedones,cysts,etc.

So what is the deal ? Closed comedones are a lot more stubborn than regular infected acne. A infected pimple dries out in 4/5 days. A close comedo can take up to months or even more to surface,and then become a blackhead or a infected pimple.

In conclusion,if your closed comedones are more noticeable,you have more of them or your overall acne is getting worse,it's a good sign.

It means that Accutane is doing its work. You are watching how all the junk that was hiding on your face is surfacing and being cleaned out.

This process typically happens during the first months of Accutane,and it is completely normal,so don't quit. You should notice a big difference by month 4 or maybe sooner.

Don't try to squeeze or extract them,resist the temptation. This procedure have to be done by a professional. Either way this doesn't have to be done during Accutane.

Oh,and for some motivation,i'm on Accutane for the same reason. (+300 closed comedones all around my face,without counting the ones on my back and shoulders). Month 4 and i can certify that my closed comedones count on my face,is less than 10.

ashiqat.aljana, Emma B, TabHouse and 4 people liked
MemberMember
(@mindall123)

Posted : 08/31/2014 8:33 am

Thank you so much! I needed that this morning because I looked in the mirror and about 12 more became inflamed. I hope this just means it'll be a quick process from here. It's definitely hard to look in the mirror everyday or go out in public. I don't want to do anything or go anywhere. It just sucks. I know it'll get better. I'm glad accutane worked on your closed comedones because my derm said it was his last resort and it may or may not work but he believed it would. I also had about 300 of them to start. They were just so tiny you could barely even seem them. Just in light and I could feel them. I was just sick of having a bad skin texture so I wanted to get rid of them. But I never once imagined it would be this difficult. Well I'm starting month 3 and hoping for a better month. Thank you again :)

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/31/2014 11:06 am

Thank you so much! I needed that this morning because I looked in the mirror and about 12 more became inflamed. I hope this just means it'll be a quick process from here. It's definitely hard to look in the mirror everyday or go out in public. I don't want to do anything or go anywhere. It just sucks. I know it'll get better. I'm glad accutane worked on your closed comedones because my derm said it was his last resort and it may or may not work but he believed it would. I also had about 300 of them to start. They were just so tiny you could barely even seem them. Just in light and I could feel them. I was just sick of having a bad skin texture so I wanted to get rid of them. But I never once imagined it would be this difficult. Well I'm starting month 3 and hoping for a better month. Thank you again

No problem,i love helping the ones that are going trough the same problems i did !

The purging phase is awful but well.. it's working !

It looks like you had a case very similar to mine. My comedones were tiny and really close to each other. In a bad light my face looked horrible,and the skin texture felt like a sand paper

But remember,in two months or so,you skin will be smooth as a newborn.

Finally,may i ask on what dosage are you on ? I'm on 40mg one day 60mg the other (alternating)

MemberMember
(@mindall123)

Posted : 08/31/2014 11:17 am

I'm only on 20mg a day but I'm tiny and only weigh 100 lbs. I'm 28 by the way which makes this process even harder. I feel like acne should of left me a long time ago. But yes, the sandpaper! I hate the feeling when washing my face.

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/31/2014 12:05 pm

I'm only on 20mg a day but I'm tiny and only weigh 100 lbs. I'm 28 by the way which makes this process even harder. I feel like acne should of left me a long time ago. But yes, the sandpaper! I hate the feeling when washing my face.

100lbs !! You're pretty tiny lol ! (no offense intended).

I can imagine that,if at my 18's the process is hard,at 28 must be a lot more complicated.

Good luck and remember..don't quit.

Keep me upgraded on your progress..trough here or private message me :)

MemberMember
(@mindall123)

Posted : 09/01/2014 8:55 am

100lbs !! You're pretty tiny lol ! (no offense intended).

I can imagine that,if at my 18's the process is hard,at 28 must be a lot more complicated.

Good luck and remember..don't quit.

Keep me upgraded on your progress..trough here or private message me :)

Did you have a really bad breakout from the purging as well? I feel like every little bump I have turns inflamed.

MemberMember
(@mindall123)

Posted : 09/10/2014 10:45 am

I wish I could come on here and say my skin is getting better but that's so not the case. I'm in week 10 and I'm steadily getting worse! I'm so frustrated. Ughhh

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 09/10/2014 5:53 pm

I understand I am at week 7 and my acne is worse too..almost regretting it all but trying to keep the faith..what did the doctor say

MemberMember
(@mindall123)

Posted : 09/11/2014 4:23 pm

I understand I am at week 7 and my acne is worse too..almost regretting it all but trying to keep the faith..what did the doctor say

He actually seems surprised that I'm still breaking out so badly. Even with antibiotics. Since more problem was only closed comedones(tiny bumps) I've literally had every one of them become inflamed. And I still have about 50 left so it sucks! I also now have some bad pitted scarring from the bad breakout, I've never had scarring so that sucks too. I'm hoping for a better outcome because my skin has never been this bad. So depressing. I hope you have better luck than me!

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 09/11/2014 4:31 pm

well u seem somewhat ok about it....I got an ice pic scar and some pitting on my chin and cheek ..it really sucks when u r trying to prevent breakouts but have to breakout in some cases to prevent it...be strong

MemberMember
(@john1358)

Posted : 11/14/2014 1:30 am

I was wondering how your comedones are doing since its been about 2 months since your last updated. This is the type of acne I have and I have an appointment on Tuesday to see the derm to ask for Accutane. I am 33 so I definitely know how you feel having to deal with any type of acne as an adult.

MemberMember
(@tabhouse)

Posted : 12/27/2014 11:42 pm

I'm having the same problem too..it seriously sucks. How is your skin now? I'm curious also.

I was wondering how your comedones are doing since its been about 2 months since your last updated. This is the type of acne I have and I have an appointment on Tuesday to see the derm to ask for Accutane. I am 33 so I definitely know how you feel having to deal with any type of acne as an adult.

MemberMember
(@efesooo)

Posted : 01/25/2015 9:56 am

Hi! Please update. I have this kind of acne and I'm anxious to see how it turned out. Please!!

Emma B liked