Notifications
Clear all

Acne And Sugar Intake

MemberMember
(@davydejong)

Posted : 08/29/2014 4:12 am

Hello everyone,

Whenever I ate a lot of sugar and sweets in the last couple days, my acne starts getting worse and new pimples start to develop so my question is:

Is it common for people with acne that it gets worse when eaten a lot of sugar? And how many grams should I take daily then?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/29/2014 11:24 am

Hello everyone,

Whenever I ate a lot of sugar and sweets in the last couple days, my acne starts getting worse and new pimples start to develop so my question is:

Is it common for people with acne that it gets worse when eaten a lot of sugar? And how many grams should I take daily then?

It is common that acne gets worse when you eat a lot of junk food. I'm not sure what you mean by how many grams should you take daily. Grams of sugar? I would recommend that you cut out as much sugar from your diet as possible. Avoid anything high is sugar and avoid all junk food. If your skin reacts badly to sugar it only makes sense to cut it out of your diet.

MemberMember
(@kamanda)

Posted : 08/29/2014 2:07 pm

Eating a lot of sugar is probably one of the worst things you can do for acne, or just for good health in general. The more you can limit sugar intake, the better.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/30/2014 3:49 pm

Sugar, the reason Low GI diets for people with degenerative diseases exist, is inflammatory. So is starch (so-called simple sugars, white bread, pasta, alcohol)

It compromises the pancreas, it suppresses white blood cells needed to fight off infections like acne, and causes glycation- glycation degrades collagen needed for your acne to heal.

In the case of diet-induced hyperinsulinemia (or, excess levels of insulin in the bloodstream), research has suggested that this condition triggers a hormonal cascade and endocrine response, further triggering unregulated growth and keratinization of epithelial cells, as well as hormonally (androgen) mediated sebum secretion. -Dermaharmony, "adult acne diet insulin and your skin"

In short, sugar = extra dead skin over your pores and extra hormonal oil in them = acne. And the equation is just that simple.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 09/01/2014 11:52 am

Glycation doesn't degrade collagen, but if does form cross-links, which can make it harder for skin cells to desquamate. Abnormal desquamation is one of the hallmarks of acne.

Sugar also boosts a number of hormones as suggested which leads to hyperproliferation, a second hallmark of acne.