Notifications
Clear all

Hello, I'm New Member

MemberMember
(@nikki81)

Posted : 08/28/2014 12:28 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've been searching online regarding acne and many times I come across this site many times.

I've been suffering from acne almost all my life, on and off. But, recently I've been diagnosed PCOS and its got worst. I now have cystic acne and they're bad.

I'm a female 28 yrs old and I can't be on accutane but, the other medicine are hardly working.

I've tried steaming, lemon juice, aspirin pack. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

I try home remedies , they work but, then I get lazy and stop and back to square one. I've even cut back on dairy.I drink a cup of coffee everyday, which I can't leave, because, I just love coffee.

Right now, I'm sat with a cluster of 4 pimples on cheek and they hurt. I got this big pimple on cheek about 3 days back, I iced it, didn't help and just kept on hurting, so I steamed and tried to pop it, it worked but, it was still big, and next morning I got 3 more small pimple under it, and now they all hurt. Right now, I steamed them again,so they may get a head and pop. I'm trying not to touch but, they just hurt. I need help with this , any tips. I've a party on Sunday to attend don't know how will I go.

I'm losing my confidence because of acne

Thanks,

Nikki

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/28/2014 4:12 pm

Look into Spirolactone, it's great for hormonal acne and helps a lot for PCOS related symptoms besides acne, like hair growth in places that aren't common for women. Lots of members on this site have had huge success with it. I have hormonal acne. Not PCOS and I have been clear with the help of Sprio for 16 months!

MemberMember
(@nikki81)

Posted : 08/29/2014 1:35 am

Look into Spirolactone, it's great for hormonal acne and helps a lot for PCOS related symptoms besides acne, like hair growth in places that aren't common for women. Lots of members on this site have had huge success with it. I have hormonal acne. Not PCOS and I have been clear with the help of Sprio for 16 months!

Thank you so much for your advice, I will ask my dermatologist if she'll prescribe me this. Currently she's put me on Augmentin for acne and acnedap ointment to apply on face. Two more acne from that cluster have popped and I feel a little relief from pain but, still scared if anymore come up. Sorry for tmi and thank you again. 🙂

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/29/2014 10:53 am

Thank you so much for your advice, I will ask my dermatologist if she'll prescribe me this. Currently she's put me on Augmentin for acne and acnedap ointment to apply on face. Two more acne from that cluster have popped and I feel a little relief from pain but, still scared if anymore come up. Sorry for tmi and thank you again. 🙂

I would think your dermatologist for sure would. If not with your PCOS diagnosis your OBGYN will prescribe it. Who ever diagnosed you will, I'm surprised they didn't mention it to you upon your diagnosis. Also there is no such thing as too much information on this site lol. We all need a lot of info to help give advice!

MemberMember
(@nikki81)

Posted : 08/29/2014 1:10 pm

Thank you so much for your advice, I will ask my dermatologist if she'll prescribe me this. Currently she's put me on Augmentin for acne and acnedap ointment to apply on face. Two more acne from that cluster have popped and I feel a little relief from pain but, still scared if anymore come up. Sorry for tmi and thank you again.

I would think your dermatologist for sure would. If not with your PCOS diagnosis your OBGYN will prescribe it. Who ever diagnosed you will, I'm surprised they didn't mention it to you upon your diagnosis. Also there is no such thing as too much information on this site lol. We all need a lot of info to help give advice!

Thank you for reply again. I've got an appointment for tomorrow to go see my dermatologist. I will talk to her regarding prescription. As of now, all the acne on my cheek have popped and I feel quiet relief from pain but, when I see myself in mirror I feel like crying. Also, I just saw another tiny bump coming up near those four which've already popped. :'( There is one huge acne mark and four more underneath it, my cheek's all red now but, it'll get darker in a day and scar will look more prominent. I just feel so low, like can't show my face to anyone. I may not go to party on Sunday but, I can't miss work on Monday and I just hate when people ask me questions or start advising unasked. I just feel ewww..and dirty, its like don't touch me....I'm not clean If I feel like this, how would other feel :'( Just sat crying .

MemberMember
(@nikki81)

Posted : 08/30/2014 9:56 am

So, I went to my dermatologist today, she's put me on doxy and minocycline, along with multi vitamin and acnedap for local application. I spoke to her for Spiro, she said, she'll consider if this doesn't work. :(

Either I'm a guinea pig or she doesn't want to put me on it coz' of side effects. Anyhow, I just want my face to be cleaner, better and healthier. I'm out right now at coffee shop, sitting with laptop and typing this. I don't have too many friends, and of what little friends I have, they hardly meet me,all are quiet busy.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/30/2014 10:32 am

So, I went to my dermatologist today, she's put me on doxy and minocycline, along with multi vitamin and acnedap for local application. I spoke to her for Spiro, she said, she'll consider if this doesn't work. 🙁

Either I'm a guinea pig or she doesn't want to put me on it coz' of side effects. Anyhow, I just want my face to be cleaner, better and healthier. I'm out right now at coffee shop, sitting with laptop and typing this. I don't have too many friends, and of what little friends I have, they hardly meet me,all are quiet busy.

She put you on two antibiotics? That's overkill for sure. Your acne isn't being caused by infections it's being caused by hormonal issues. Androgens to be more specific. Do you see a OBGYN? Also with your diagnosis you should ask to see an endocrinologist. They will prescribe spiro for sure and so will a OBGYN. Those antibiotics are just a bandaid they will not get to the root if the problem and you need to get to the root of the problem. That's taking a anti androgen like spiro. Spiro has one side effects that is common and that is urinating more frequently in the beginning of your treatment. You will get more side effects from one of those antibiotics much less two!

I'm sorry to hear your friends are very busy and don't have a lot of time to hang out with you. I'm 28 years old so my friends are all quite busy as well. At this age friends aren't usually the top priority anymore, like they were when we were younger. All my friends are married and have children and homes to look after. I understand that we are all busy, nothing I can be upset about. I suppose I don't have all that much time for many friendships.

MemberMember
(@nikki81)

Posted : 08/30/2014 11:38 am

So, I went to my dermatologist today, she's put me on doxy and minocycline, along with multi vitamin and acnedap for local application. I spoke to her for Spiro, she said, she'll consider if this doesn't work.

She put you on two antibiotics? That's overkill for sure. Your acne isn't being caused by infections it's being caused by hormonal issues. Androgens to be more specific. Do you see a OBGYN? Also with your diagnosis you should ask to see an endocrinologist. They will prescribe spiro for sure and so will a OBGYN. Those antibiotics are just a bandaid they will not get to the root if the problem and you need to get to the root of the problem. That's taking a anti androgen like spiro. Spiro has one side effects that is common and that is urinating more frequently in the beginning of your treatment. You will get more side effects from one of those antibiotics much less two!

I'm sorry to hear your friends are very busy and don't have a lot of time to hang out with you. I'm 28 years old so my friends are all quite busy as well. At this age friends aren't usually the top priority anymore, like they were when we were younger. All my friends are married and have children and homes to look after. I understand that we are all busy, nothing I can be upset about. I suppose I don't have all that much time for many friendships.

I can take an appointment from my Gynaec. on monday or tue. I agree, friends aren't a priority as much but, I'm single and currently not seeing anyone so, sometimes I wish for a company though, I like being alone too, just sometimes it gets lonely. Thank you so much for your continual responses and advises.

Nikki xx

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/30/2014 1:35 pm

Your welcome I am happy to help! I know how important it is to have support and if I can provide that for you, that makes me happy.

I would make an appointment for sure with your OBGYN. Tell them about your diagnosis of PCOS and tell them you have done research and want to try Spirolactone. I'm going to give you a couple of links that I want you to read. One will let you know all about hormones and treatments for hormonal acne the other one will give you information about how to get spiro from your doctor and a study about spiro for hormonal acne.

Here is the link to understanding hormonal acne and treatments

Here's another good informational post

Here's a link what what to say to get spiro

It will be helpful to print out the article provided in the last link. Being well informed and prepared is always a good thing!

Also you can continue to take the antibiotics while taking Spirolactone. It might even be smart to take them for a few months to clear up the acne you have. Then the spiro will have kicked in by that point and the Sprio will help to keep your skin, hopefully 100% clear. You will most likely get a pimple here and there but that is normal. You can also continue to use the topical IF you want. I just wouldn't want to get your skin dependent on a topical. I would not take both of those antibiotics though. Pick one, they are both good for clearing up acne. I think doxy has less side effects than the minocycline. Once you skin is clear I would stop the antibiotic. Maybe 3 or 4 months after starting the Spirolactone.

MemberMember
(@nikki81)

Posted : 09/01/2014 2:41 am

Thank you moonlight for your reply. I don't know what to do, have two new zits forming on other cheek now, they don't pain as much but, my face pretty much looks like shit. Didn't go to work today , just so tired of everything :(

MemberMember
(@nikki81)

Posted : 09/02/2014 11:10 am

Need an advise.

Should I or should I not steam my face. Currently I've few cystic acne and few which seem they're drying after popping but, still I can see a little bump. I just feel , steaming will give relief but, I'm scared if I breakout more.

Thank you in advance for advise.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 09/04/2014 12:42 pm

Steaming you face should be just fine

MemberMember
(@nikki81)

Posted : 09/06/2014 2:25 pm

Steaming you face should be just fine

Thank you, I did steam my face and popped other pimples gently, they dried up but, now I'm getting acne back again on same place and few on other. My dermatologist says it's because I'm popping them, but, they were so painful. Thankfully, these new ones aren't so painful, some of them even have heads but, I'm not touching them. I'm really scared. I still haven't got Spiro prescribed, my Gyn. says it has lot of side effects and, she put me on doxy as well.

Now I'm on doxy, zinc vit, multi vit and nadibact cream.

I'm trying to drink lemon juice don't know if that'll be helpful. My face looks like an acne map, feel so bad. 🙁