Notifications
Clear all

Acne Not Bad In Summer, But Way Worse In Winter (Any Athletes?)

MemberMember
(@sdd2727)

Posted : 08/27/2014 8:58 pm

I am in my mid 20's and live in Michigan. My acne for some reason is a lot better, as in I am more clear, in the summer than it is in the winter. I get outside a lot more in the summer obviously and I think the vitamin d3 helps as well. In the winter I play hockey for a club team in college and my acne seems to get a lot worse. I'm not sure if it is from sweating a lot, travel, etc. or whatever but I'm thinking maybe I should take a lot more vitamin d3 in the winter. Could that be possibly causing my problem in the winter time, or is it because I may be sweating a lot more during that time of year? Any other athletes have this problem?

MemberMember
(@moisturer)

Posted : 08/28/2014 12:18 pm

I've had big acne problems for the past 3 years. Every summer my skin would get completely clear after a week or two of tanning. Some people say that sun doesn't clear your acne, but camouflage them by making the skin darker. This is false. My skin did actually get clear. However this summer, even though i got at least the same ammount of sun exposure, my skin only got slightly better.

I do believe the vitamin d3 is the reason for it and i recomend that you take it during the winter.

MemberMember
(@kamanda)

Posted : 08/28/2014 8:17 pm

Same thing for my son, who is 16. He plays basketball all winter and his acne was much worse then. It's practically nonexistent now in the summer. I don't think it has anything to do with sweating, as he runs all summer and probably sweats more from that. (He did start a regular routine of benzoyl peroxide back in winter but his skin looked bad for months before it dramatically cleared as soon as the weather warmed up.) I suspect the clearer skin is due to more sun, or possibly more humidity. We are in NY and summers are humid while winter dries skin out terribly. If his skin worsens again this winter, I'm going to give him D3 or get him a humidifier.

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 08/29/2014 5:03 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. My acne improves a lot during the summer. I've tried taking vitamin D3 supplements during the winter but it didn't help.

MemberMember
(@newguyintheboards)

Posted : 08/29/2014 5:22 pm

I notice that in summer when I run the sweat clears up my completion, but in the winter when I sweat it kind of drys up as I work out do to the temperature which causes a flare up. I generally work out and only participate in indoor sports during colder months because of this.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/01/2014 3:09 am

D3, as mentioned previously, is a great help.

Ultraviolet light also has an antibacterial effect.

MemberMember
(@brianneg)

Posted : 09/01/2014 11:31 am

Many people see improvement in summer months. Yes, this is likely due to the increased vitamin D as well as UV rays having a slight antimicrobial effect. You could try taking a vitamin D supplement, but there are usually other things at play, and whether or not the supplement helps with depend on other factors of your system. It's pretty hard to know for sure though - it's trial and error.

And for the record - sweating has nothing to do with acne, it neither causes it nor helps it. Acne is caused in a hair follicle, attached to a sebaceous gland which excretes oil. You sweat from pores that are connect to sweat glands which excrete water. They are entirely different openings in your skin and have nothing to do with each other. Now, if you're sweating and then rubbing your face a lot or something of that nature, that may cause problems, but it's not directly due to sweating.

Good luck to you.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 09/01/2014 11:32 am

Vitamin D can be a game changer. It takes a long time to bring your levels up to par though, even at 10,000iu/day

MemberMember
(@sdd2727)

Posted : 09/04/2014 4:37 pm

So, how much vitamin d3 can I take in one day? I have read things that say no more than 10,000 IU per day, would this be correct? The pimples I get are usually always whiteheads, I just don't know why they won't stop I am in my mid 20's. Also, what food should I eat at the time of taking the vitamin d that will help me to absorb it the best because I hear that some people just digest the vitamin without actually absorbing it?

MemberMember
(@sugarsugar11)

Posted : 09/05/2014 10:56 pm

It could possibly be worse in the winter due to your blood flow also being poor. In the winter with it being colder, the blood doesn't get around as much so it can't wash out the pimples on your face. Try having baths and steaming your face to increase blood flow