Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amicus

Subcision + (Microneedling And 15% Tca)

It's hard to believe a lot of the people here aren't exploring this method. The results seem to be much better than laser treatments and much less expensive.

It's interesting in that it's the only combination therapy that seems to treat three layers of the skin and keep the skin in a continuous state of controlled trauma using various methods.

i do my own subcision with the needles i got from own doc. i wish they were a little longer, but i jab the single needle in at an obtuse angle and rotate it in circles trying to break the tethers under the skin. it seems to be working after 4months, and the skin heals much faster than needling all over since your only making 2-3 holes maximum...

I want to update this topic because I've been using this approach and seeing good results. When I was making coffee this morning, my wife touched my face and told me what I'm doing is really working. So, needless to say I feel pretty good because I wasn't sure if anyone else could notice yet.

A couple of caveats though:

I did not have subcision. Saw two doctors, one wanted to treat me with a laser the other wanted to do dermapen and prp. Neither was worth the cost and I was doubtful about their approach. Goes to show you there is not good uniform acne scar treatment and doctors want to sell you whatever they got, not what's best for you.

Second I have not been using a dermaroller, I bought an automated microneedle device (if you pm me I will tell you which one, there is a customs issue and I don't want to put the manufacturer on a public forum).

So here's what I've done:

I primed my skin for over a month with tretinoin 0.5%. Every night wash, wait 20 mins and apply a pea size amount uniformly.

First needle session done at 1.0 mm. Used tret cream as a gliding agent, washed face with saline and applied tret cream for 30 mins after.

Two weeks later, did 20% TCA peel - standard stuff, appearance of frosting was the end point.

Two weeks later, Second microneedle at 1.5 mm, same routine

Preparing for second TCA peel tonight.

Noticeable effects:

Obviously fuller skin. I can feel my dermis is thicker feels puffier.

Rolling scars are diminishing.

My skin produces less oil. This is probably my favorite part.

I hope this helps some people. I am happy with my progress and will continue with this schedule for another four months.

Nice... so how would you characterize the severity of your scars pre-treatment?

The picture in the 1st post is close to mine. I have a range of rolling, boxcar and pitted, mainly in the area from my cheek bones to my nose, to the corners of my mouth. So far the rolling scars have responded well and overall color in my face has become much more uniform.

Note: I have had a laser treatment, dermabrassion, and chemical peels before.

Edited by Amicus

You've had real surgical dermabrasion? Not microdermabrasion right?

No. Not surgical dermabrasion, I had several micro-dermabrasion treatments. None of the professional treatments I've had have been recent.

It said subcision one time and 6 staggered sessions of needling and chemical peels.

'After subcision, dermaroller and 15% TCA peel were performed alternatively at 2-weeks interval for a total of 6 sessions of each. '

Ok I see.

Subcision 2 weeks later Dermaroller 2 week later 15% Tca ....Dermaroll....Tca... etc

Easy protocol!!

It said subcision one time and 6 staggered sessions of needling and chemical peels.

'After subcision, dermaroller and 15% TCA peel were performed alternatively at 2-weeks interval for a total of 6 sessions of each. '

Ok I see.

Subcision 2 weeks later Dermaroller 2 week later 15% Tca ....Dermaroll....Tca... etc

Easy protocol!!

Robertitoo: don't forget the tretinoin cream is believed to be a critical agent in the remodeling process this therapy employs. The regular use, and deep delivery before and after needling, is believed to be a major catalyst, as the skin is continuously under mild "insult" from TCA and needling.

Here's the commentary on the process:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3996785/

Also, there is currently recruiting for this same method in a clinical trial study in New Jersey:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02174393?term=acne+scars&rank=7

They are not using subcision and a universal peel rather than TCA.