Notifications
Clear all

Lotion Containing Cetearyl Alcohol And Ceteareth 20?

MemberMember
(@ellam)

Posted : 08/26/2014 11:45 pm

i recently bought a moisturizing lotion to use which is QV lotion for dry skin, i am using this with my own version of the regimen, for which i am using Benzac Ac benzoyl peroxide and Neutrogena extra gentle cleanser. i bought the QV as the cetaphil lotion i wanted was not available, and i was told by the lady there that they are "pretty much the same", but since getting it home and checking the list of comodogenic ingredients, it has Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20 in it, as the 5th and 6th ingredients. it was not labelled as non comodogenic, but it said non greasy and light and also for sensitive and dry skin, which i currently have on the BP. i figured id rather go for gentle moisturizer that might be a little richer than moisturizer to target acne or oily skin which might be too drying and intense for my skin.

the ingredients are "Aqua (water), glycerin, petrolatum, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, cetearyl alcohol, ceteth-20, steareth-2, dimethicone, glyceryl stearate, methylparaben, propylparaben, dichlorobenzyl alcohol, polyacrylic acid, triethanolamine."
ive read that the cetearyl alchol and ceteth (same as ceteareth i assume) 20 are highly comodogenic but then i read some people say that they are only bad if they are written together as Cetearyl Alcohol + Ceteareth 20 but if they are written as seperate ingredients they are absolutely fine or are less comodogenic. now obviously this doesnt make much sense to me so i thought i'd run it by you guys and see if anyone could help me out. ive used to for two days and had no ill effects in fact its quite light but nourishing too. i have had the odd whitehead pimple and clogged pore, but i cant attribute this to the lotion as ive recently switched up my whole routine from proactiv (ugh, only ever good at keeping my acne bad instead of horrific) to my version of the regimen and am still getting the odd pimples even without the lotion.
MemberMember
(@hughesan91)

Posted : 09/01/2014 12:36 am

They are written next to each other on the ingredients list...so I'd be cautious. I don't know if it matters whether they are together or added to the formulation separately.

I wouldn't personally trust it but I'm really neurotic about ingredients.

I recommend CeraVe lotions -- they are truly noncomedogenic and they have different lotions for oily and dry skin types. You can find it in many stores.