Notifications
Clear all

Exposed, Acnefree, Proactiv....what To Use!?

MemberMember
(@cob2048)

Posted : 08/25/2014 9:31 am

I've been using Acnefree for a long time. Doesn't seem to work anymore. Awhile ago my general doctor recommended trying Exposed. I kept with Acnefree. Many years ago I used Proactiv, but then switched to Acnefree b/c it was easier to get and cheaper. I'm 31 by the way, so I have trouble controlling my adult acne.

I've been reading more about Exposed lately, and though expensive, seems like maybe I should try it b/c it combines SA and BP, and some natural stuff and doesn't seem as harsh as the other two b/c of it's lessened BP, which I hear is really bad for the skin. But at least Proactiv has some SA in its third step.

Should I try it? I don't want to keep using Acnefree. I'm thinking of going back to Proactiv, but I feel that would be pointless, and I should gamble the 60 bucks and try Exposed.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've gotten other regimen suggestions that people have given me...but all products have a lot of bad reviews, just like any of these three treatments do too. It's impossible to decide, especially when a treatment kit costs 60 bucks instead of 20.

Anyone who is an adult, has sensitive skin and still breaks out.have you tried exposed? I saw some comments in a previous post, so at least some have had success with it. Just curious of anyone who has gone from Acnefree or proactiv to it. At least they guarantee your money back if you don't get clear skin.

And I just found out about Proactiv +, which seems even better than Proactiv. So many choices!

MemberMember
(@importkid558)

Posted : 08/25/2014 4:34 pm

Hey, if you want to wait it out - I've got a thread on here of me using Exposed and I'll be updating it every week. Any questions feel free to contact me.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/25/2014 8:22 pm

If the Acne-Free isn't working anymore, it's because you're resistant to the BP. Proactiv is also BP based, except for the BHA in the toner and Deep Cleanser (which I love, it's very strong, though.) Regimen and Exposed add BHA to the AHA. Don't get any of the BP products in whatever line you choose, but don't feel restricted to the acne-marketed brands.

The best ingredients are in other products, too.

If you're on a budget, here's the routine I'd recommend for your age and skin concerns:

1. L'oreal Regenerist and Revitalift cleansers both have as much salicylic as any other wash, cheap or costly, and other nice ingredients.

2.You can use ACV as a toner (add tumeric for extra anti-inflammatory, pH balancing.)

3. The Body Shop is incredibly non-irritating and good for all skin types. I'll also recommend the Tea Tree Blemish Fade night lotion for PM and the Aloe Serum for AM.

4. moisture mask of your choice (aloe, honey etc)

All of these treatments have been very good at keeping my skin clear in the past.

MemberMember
(@cob2048)

Posted : 08/25/2014 10:08 pm

thank for the alternate products list, really appreciate it.

and Importkid, thank you. I will continue to check out your threat and see how Exposed works for you. Question.....what were you using at the time right before you switched to Exposed?

MemberMember
(@importkid558)

Posted : 08/26/2014 5:01 pm

thank for the alternate products list, really appreciate it.

and Importkid, thank you. I will continue to check out your threat and see how Exposed works for you. Question.....what were you using at the time right before you switched to Exposed?

I was using a Neutrogena face wash, my Aveeno lotion, and honey masks.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/01/2014 1:13 pm

Obligate anaerobic bacteria cannot become resistant to BP because BP works by oxygenating the pores. The "p. acnes" bacteria is an obligate anaerobic which means it cannot survive in the presence of oxygen in the pore.

However, other types of bacteria sometimes exist in acne. Not all bacteria is killed by oxygenation.

There are also other factors that contribute to acne formation. Sebum plugs. Androgenic hormone overload. Abnormal keratinization.

Changing from one BP product to another BP product probably won't do you any good. Even if Exposed contains a little bit of salicylic acid, the most they will put in a product is 2%, which I find does nothing. I only started to see results from salicylic acid when I started using 20% peels. That stuff actually does dissolve some of the sebum.

I would just add in a separate salicylic acid product instead. 20% peels are great but you need to work up to them (they can be dangerous and burn your skin). So I would start with a 10% serum or peel. There's the Skin Beauty 10% Salicylic Roll-On Serum and the Dermalure 10% Salicylic Peel. Once your skin feels comfortable using those 2-3 times a week, you can upgrade to a 20% peel.