Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Recommendations

MemberMember
(@sampapa)

Posted : 08/24/2014 11:13 pm

Hey beauties!

Bit of background/lifestyle info before my question so it hopefully helps answering.

Recently (about 4 months now) I've been experiencing acne like never before. I could safely say I've had acne since I was about 16, mild though. I tried EVERYTHING and litterally nothing helped.

Now I'm 21 and my skin is BAD. I scar like crazy, always have, which probably made my acne appear worse than it actually was. I do wear make up, which I've been told is a bad habit but I have no choice as I now work for prestigious modelling agency and sadly, its an unsaid requirement. I do use acne-preventative water based make up which I started using LONG before my recent issue. Around January 2013 I was prescribed doxycycline for a stomach bacteria issue and was on it for 10 days, twice daily 100mg. once going off of doxy I realized how amazing my skin looked. About two weeks later,I went back home to Italy and Spain. While I'm over in Europe my skin always improves instantly and I really don't do anything to it. Moreso I do less than while I'm in Canada. Once I got back I noticed my skin slowly returned to being imperfect so I went to my doctor and asked for more doxy where I was put on twice daily 100 mg for a month, worked, kept going (with about 10-15 day breaks in between each refill) till about Feb this year where I was given a 60 day rx. and that completely screwed my whole cycle up and I believe my skin got too use to it. My skin was fine till May and ends of May it completely flipped out on me. My T-zone is completely clear. Its just my checks, chin and now (which has never happened before) parts of my neck. I've been going to numerous dermatologists since. One prescribed yaz, went TERRIBLE. I retained unbelievable amounts of water, so I gained 5kg taking it (and I work out 6-7 times a week and don't over eat or eat poorly) and acne showed ZERO results (made it worse if anything) to name a few. Tried murad, nope, didn't work either. Benz. peroxide, dried out my face to the point where it made cuts in my skin and basically bled.

So now a few different derms are offering me Isotretonin (Clarus) and after reading MANY boards, I'm extremely scared it won't work, and I'm wasting time and money. However I'm willing to try it at this point. Now my main question (besides other possible solutions, tips, and help) neuro disorders run in my fam. (for example, my cousin is epileptic, two aunts with MS, grandparents have alzeihmers disorder. ect) and my brother is schizophrenic and has suffered drug induced psychosis. I'm worried the depression and hallucinations will hit me HARD just because of my genetics. Should I stay away from Accutane? I'm a generally happy person and don't suffer from depression. Don't really know if I'd be the best candidate for Accutane.

Thanks in advance

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/25/2014 7:30 am

Topic moved to the prescription acne medications forum

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/25/2014 9:10 am

Hey beauties!

Bit of background/lifestyle info before my question so it hopefully helps answering.

Recently (about 4 months now) I've been experiencing acne like never before. I could safely say I've had acne since I was about 16, mild though. I tried EVERYTHING and litterally nothing helped.

Now I'm 21 and my skin is BAD. I scar like crazy, always have, which probably made my acne appear worse than it actually was. I do wear make up, which I've been told is a bad habit but I have no choice as I now work for prestigious modelling agency and sadly, its an unsaid requirement. I do use acne-preventative water based make up which I started using LONG before my recent issue. Around January 2013 I was prescribed doxycycline for a stomach bacteria issue and was on it for 10 days, twice daily 100mg. once going off of doxy I realized how amazing my skin looked. About two weeks later,I went back home to Italy and Spain. While I'm over in Europe my skin always improves instantly and I really don't do anything to it. Moreso I do less than while I'm in Canada. Once I got back I noticed my skin slowly returned to being imperfect so I went to my doctor and asked for more doxy where I was put on twice daily 100 mg for a month, worked, kept going (with about 10-15 day breaks in between each refill) till about Feb this year where I was given a 60 day rx. and that completely screwed my whole cycle up and I believe my skin got too use to it. My skin was fine till May and ends of May it completely flipped out on me. My T-zone is completely clear. Its just my checks, chin and now (which has never happened before) parts of my neck. I've been going to numerous dermatologists since. One prescribed yaz, went TERRIBLE. I retained unbelievable amounts of water, so I gained 5kg taking it (and I work out 6-7 times a week and don't over eat or eat poorly) and acne showed ZERO results (made it worse if anything) to name a few. Tried murad, nope, didn't work either. Benz. peroxide, dried out my face to the point where it made cuts in my skin and basically bled.

So now a few different derms are offering me Isotretonin (Clarus) and after reading MANY boards, I'm extremely scared it won't work, and I'm wasting time and money. However I'm willing to try it at this point. Now my main question (besides other possible solutions, tips, and help) neuro disorders run in my fam. (for example, my cousin is epileptic, two aunts with MS, grandparents have alzeihmers disorder. ect) and my brother is schizophrenic and has suffered drug induced psychosis. I'm worried the depression and hallucinations will hit me HARD just because of my genetics. Should I stay away from Accutane? I'm a generally happy person and don't suffer from depression. Don't really know if I'd be the best candidate for Accutane.

Thanks in advance

First I'd like to say that you can thank that antibiotic for the stage your skin is at now. A very good number of people after coming off an antibiotic for acne experience this same issue, I'm included. Antibiotics are a bandaid and when your done with the antibiotic or your body becomes immune to them your skin goes to hell.

As far as the Accutane, no one can tell you if you run the risk of having long term effects. If you want to take the Accutane your best bet is to watch yourself closely, inform others you are taking it, a close friend you see often or a coworker you are comfortable with. Have them keep an eye on you. If you notice or they notice your mood changing, the way you carry yourself, if your more emotional than usual, things like that. Stop the Accutane right away. You can stop your course whenever you want to, just because you start doesn't mean you have to finish it. Just watch for any signs, if you see them stop.

As far as being worried Accutane won't work for you. I wouldn't be worried about that. Accutane helps everyone's acne, not everyone finishes their course 100% clear but their acne had improvement. It's not common for someone to not have Accutane work. The challenge is maintaining the clear skin. Taking Accutane isn't a cure, but it should get you to the point where your skin is clear and you can use a topical prescription to maintain the clear skin. I did a 7 month course, any questions you have for me feel free to ask!

MemberMember
(@sampapa)

Posted : 08/25/2014 2:31 pm

First I'd like to say that you can thank that antibiotic for the stage your skin is at now. A very good number of people after coming off an antibiotic for acne experience this same issue, I'm included. Antibiotics are a bandaid and when your done with the antibiotic or your body becomes immune to them your skin goes to hell.

As far as the Accutane, no one can tell you if you run the risk of having long term effects. If you want to take the Accutane your best bet is to watch yourself closely, inform others you are taking it, a close friend you see often or a coworker you are comfortable with. Have them keep an eye on you. If you notice or they notice your mood changing, the way you carry yourself, if your more emotional than usual, things like that. Stop the Accutane right away. You can stop your course whenever you want to, just because you start doesn't mean you have to finish it. Just watch for any signs, if you see them stop.

As far as being worried Accutane won't work for you. I wouldn't be worried about that. Accutane helps everyone's acne, not everyone finishes their course 100% clear but their acne had improvement. It's not common for someone to not have Accutane work. The challenge is maintaining the clear skin. Taking Accutane isn't a cure, but it should get you to the point where your skin is clear and you can use a topical prescription to maintain the clear skin. I did a 7 month course, any questions you have for me feel free to ask!

Thanks, loads of help. Question though, how bad was your acne when you were on accutane. I've read a lot of mixed reviews and I'm scared I'll end up having to take a week or two off work.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/25/2014 3:38 pm

My acne was pretty bad. Moderately severe is what it was rated as. My acne was wide spread across my face, it wasn't just on my chin or jawline. It was forehead, cheeks, chin. Sometimes my upper back too.

Why do you think you'll have to take time off work? During your purging period or something?

MemberMember
(@sampapa)

Posted : 08/27/2014 8:38 pm

Yepp, when its like BAD bad. wouldn't want to clog my pores even more having to put on make up and that bit. As well as because i work for an agency, not sure they would let me represent the company to other clients and stuff just based on my skin being horrific and far from perfect and all. Not that they've let off they wouldn't let me represent. Just wouldn't want to walk into that type of situation.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/27/2014 9:17 pm

Yepp, when its like BAD bad. wouldn't want to clog my pores even more having to put on make up and that bit. As well as because i work for an agency, not sure they would let me represent the company to other clients and stuff just based on my skin being horrific and far from perfect and all. Not that they've let off they wouldn't let me represent. Just wouldn't want to walk into that type of situation.

I hear ya. Hopefully you don't experience any purging. Although it's more likely than now unfortunately. I can remember wanting to hide away during mine!

MemberMember
(@sachin12)

Posted : 08/28/2014 3:40 am

Definitely go for Accutane if you ask me, it helped my skin 100% and I didn't get many bad side effects besides dryness (I too have mental disorders running in my family)

MemberMember
(@thesmallthings)

Posted : 08/29/2014 1:59 am

hey, just wondering if you could shed some advice!

im 16 at the momemt . i was really oily and pretty bad acne. i took accutane for 12 months at 20mg a day, which completely cleared up my acne but left me with heaps of PIH. I have been off accutane for 2 months now and my face is really oily again and i am starting to get pimples everywhere... im pretty worried. i saw my derm 2 weeks ago, and she gave me retin-a to use nightly. when i saw her i didnt really have any pimples, they just started coming like right after i saw her sad.png She didnt want me to go back on accutane becuase she didnt think anything was wrong with my skin.. but now its getting really bad, should i make another appointment with her and try get accutane? or should i continue retin-a?? PLEASE HELP!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/29/2014 10:58 am

im 16 at the momemt . i was really oily and pretty bad acne. i took accutane for 12 months at 20mg a day, which completely cleared up my acne but left me with heaps of PIH. I have been off accutane for 2 months now and my face is really oily again and i am starting to get pimples everywhere... im pretty worried. i saw my derm 2 weeks ago, and she gave me retin-a to use nightly. when i saw her i didnt really have any pimples, they just started coming like right after i saw her sad.png She didnt want me to go back on accutane becuase she didnt think anything was wrong with my skin.. but now its getting really bad, should i make another appointment with her and try get accutane? or should i continue retin-a?? PLEASE HELP!

It's way to early to do another Accutane course. The standard waiting period is 6 months to a year depending on the dermatologist. It's worth asking if you can do a low dose maintenance course though. Like 10mg every other day or something like that. It will control your oil level, and should clear up the acne you are getting again. My guess is your dermatologist will want you to continue with the retin a for a few months. See if you can control your acne with the retin a is my suggestion. It much safer than Accutane is.

I also started to break out 3 months after I finished my Accutane course. It's a huge bummer isn't it? I was on a 7 month course of 60mg.

MemberMember
(@thesmallthings)

Posted : 08/29/2014 7:13 pm

It's way to early to do another Accutane course. The standard waiting period is 6 months to a year depending on the dermatologist. It's worth asking if you can do a low dose maintenance course though. Like 10mg every other day or something like that. It will control your oil level, and should clear up the acne you are getting again. My guess is your dermatologist will want you to continue with the retin a for a few months. See if you can control your acne with the retin a is my suggestion. It much safer than Accutane is.

I also started to break out 3 months after I finished my Accutane course. It's a huge bummer isn't it? I was on a 7 month course of 60mg.

Thanks for the reply. im gonna stick with the retin a for a while, and see how that goes. i just wanted accutane again beacuse out of the multitude of products i tried, it was the only thing that brought me success.

Aww, its pretty annoying hey. are you still breaking out?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/29/2014 8:53 pm

I'm not breaking out anymore, I am using Spirolactone for my acne. As it turns out my acne is hormonal, and the spiro controls my acne very well. I get a pimple here and there, nothing to complain about.