Spiro Not Working! ...

Notifications
Clear all

Spiro Not Working! 🙁

MemberMember
(@smichelle)

Posted : 08/24/2014 5:15 pm

Hey guys...

So I've been on a low dose of 0.25 mg twice a day(0.5 mg total)¦It's now been 2 months exactly and I've seen no improvements at all. My skin is extremely extremely oily, and I cannot control it. Should I be moving up a dose? Does it take longer to work? If it doesn't work for me does this mean that my androgens aren't the issue? Any advice please...

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2014 11:05 pm

Hey guys...

So I've been on a low dose of 0.25 mg twice a day(0.5 mg total)¦It's now been 2 months exactly and I've seen no improvements at all. My skin is extremely extremely oily, and I cannot control it. Should I be moving up a dose? Does it take longer to work? If it doesn't work for me does this mean that my androgens aren't the issue? Any advice please...

Spiro takes time to work about 6 months before girls notice a marked improvement. Your dose is very low too. Maybe try upping it to 75mg I am on 100 mg and I have no oil issues or acne to speak of, I've been on spiro for 16 months.

MemberMember
(@hughesan91)

Posted : 08/30/2014 12:10 pm

Are you sure your dose is 0.25 mg? I don't think spiro is manufactured at that low of a dose. Likely 25 mg. In any case, I take 50 mg twice a day and have for 2 years now. It took a while (~3 months) to see a difference, but the number of days I woke up without new pimples was the first thing I noticed. I used to get a few new cysts a week, and that also began to slow. It made me slightly less oily after that, but this was a less noticeable effect.

Are you taking the spiro with food? Unlike a lot of meds that recommend this, spiro won't make you nauseous if you take it on an empty stomach, BUT it is significantly better absorbed if taken with food. I usually take a spiro after breakfast and after dinner. You don't want to take it too close to bedtime, as it is a diuretic and disrupted sleep is the enemy of healing skin.

Are you taking anything other than spiro?

MemberMember
(@smichelle)

Posted : 08/31/2014 10:47 am

Are you sure your dose is 0.25 mg? I don't think spiro is manufactured at that low of a dose. Likely 25 mg. In any case, I take 50 mg twice a day and have for 2 years now. It took a while (~3 months) to see a difference, but the number of days I woke up without new pimples was the first thing I noticed. I used to get a few new cysts a week, and that also began to slow. It made me slightly less oily after that, but this was a less noticeable effect.

Are you taking the spiro with food? Unlike a lot of meds that recommend this, spiro won't make you nauseous if you take it on an empty stomach, BUT it is significantly better absorbed if taken with food. I usually take a spiro after breakfast and after dinner. You don't want to take it too close to bedtime, as it is a diuretic and disrupted sleep is the enemy of healing skin.

Are you taking anything other than spiro?

Hi!

Sorry, I totally am taking 25 mg twice a day, not 0.25..my bad hehe. I do take it with food as wellOther than spiro I am taking Testo Quench for Women which is just a natural supplement to help androgen sensitivities. I am seeing my doctor next Monday and was thinking of asking for a higher dose? Or should I wait until the 6 month mark...

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/31/2014 12:24 pm

I would for sure ask for a higher dose. 100mg is the dosage that most women see results at without getting side effects. I would try to get on that dosage if your doctor thinks it's safe for you.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/02/2014 1:06 am

I also started out on 50mg total a day and that does was too low for me to see improvement.

Also, what color are your pills? Many people have better luck with the spiro generic that is yellow colored (instead of the white colored ones). If you have white pills currently, try changing pharmacies. I think most Walgreens sell the yellow Amneal version of spiro.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 09/03/2014 10:25 pm

I took 25 mg once a day, and it worked well for my skin, but I had to wait over 6 months to see results.

MemberMember
(@smichelle)

Posted : 07/05/2015 9:00 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know and seeee if I can get any advice .. That I switched to a higher dose spiro as of March 29th 2015. I began taking 50mgs twice a day. The increase still hasn't helped my oily skin.

Should I go higher ? Or maybe I was right and hormones(androgens) aren't causing my oil?

Help :(

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/16/2015 9:10 am

are you currently breaking out on it? i've been on spiro for years and my skin is just as oily as before but i no longer breakout. i would give the spiro a full 6-9 months to work before you up the dosage. it takes time to work. good luck!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/16/2015 11:23 am

Hi - Spiro takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong (emphasis on really, agonizingly long) time to start clearing you. You might want to wait another month or so on the higher dose to see if you are noticing a difference. The effect is very gradual, so if you are having cystic breakouts or your acne is scarring, you may want to ask your derm for something to reduce inflammation in the mean time.

If you aren't seeing a difference in 3 months or so (given that you have been on the drug for much longer), I would move on to something else.

MemberMember
(@smichelle)

Posted : 07/12/2016 5:50 pm

Update **

Ended up stopping sometime time last fall and starting again in January 2016... it's been about 6 months now on a steady dose of 100 mg and there's still no improvement or reduction in my oily skin..

No acne though..

Guess androgens aren't the only cause..?