Notifications
Clear all

Should I Go On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/23/2014 3:49 pm

Help guys so today I've been doing some research on accutane as I may start taking it next month.

My dermatologist recommends it.

I'm 5'6 and 15 years old (Male), want to be around 5'9 by the time I grow up.

My main/only concern with taking accutane is the stunted growth that is possible as a side affect.

Is this side affect(stunted growth) of accutane uncommon? Is it worth the risk to take accutane taken that it may stunt my growth?

Any opinions on whether I should take accutane right now or wait a while etc.?

My acne is quite bad, to put into perspective I'd say a little bit better than this:

[Edited link out]

I've been using various creams and have also tried antibiotics. It has gone a little bit better, but still not very good :/

Any help is much appreciated.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/23/2014 4:57 pm

If your acne is a little better than the photo you attached, I would not take Accutane. Accutane is more geared towards cystic acne or severe acne. Have you tried acne.org regimine? Since you are still young and growing I would really hold off on the Accutane. You always have the choice to do it later in life as well. I've heard enough stories about stunted growth caused by Accutane, that I would not take it if I had hopes of growing more. Not to mention that your acne if it is like the photo above but a little better, I would say it's manageable. If your having success with antibiotics and topicals then I would stick to that. Not worth the risks unless you have severe acne and it's a last resort medication. Your still young so acne is most likely related your hormones and puberty. I'd wait it out a couple years.

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 08/23/2014 5:24 pm

I don't think you should!

MemberMember
(@dreamerhigh)

Posted : 08/23/2014 6:52 pm

if creams and antibiotics is all youve tried no there are many diets vitamins and other things vitamin b5 is a subblment that is sortof a substitute for accutane in a way look into vitamin b5 for acne theres various studies on it good luck

MemberMember
(@moisturer)

Posted : 08/23/2014 8:34 pm

My suggestion is either stick with the regimen or some cream to reduce it. Or if you are very desperate, go to the doctor and get tetracyline. This will not cure it, but your acne will be gone as long as you are on it. If this is a hormonal acne that will be gone in 2 years, at least you killed half a year using tetracyline.

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/24/2014 4:09 am

Thank you all VERY much for your answers.

Here are the pictures of my acne(This is me, now that i think of it it's actually worse than I thought)-

http://imgur.com/UpljoGY,I910Ffw,w0PYe1b,1Jw6ijQ,7k1iwsF,S8GdZaY,RLn9Lt1

^there are 7 images, you can scroll through them by clicking the numbers 1-7

I've had acne since I was around 14.

It used to be very bad only in my forehead and my cheeks were totally clear, however for some reason now it has changed: my forehead pretty much has no acne but my cheek has a lot. :s

Currently I'm using benzyl peroxide for my body (At night), differin for my face at night, clindamycin for my face in the morning and also have been on tetralysal for over 1 month. I've been on different medication for around almost 2 years.

So after taking this into consideration do you guys still think I shouldn't take accutane?

If your acne is a little better than the photo you attached, I would not take Accutane. Accutane is more geared towards cystic acne or severe acne. Have you tried acne.org regimine? Since you are still young and growing I would really hold off on the Accutane. You always have the choice to do it later in life as well. I've heard enough stories about stunted growth caused by Accutane, that I would not take it if I had hopes of growing more. Not to mention that your acne if it is like the photo above but a little better, I would say it's manageable. If your having success with antibiotics and topicals then I would stick to that. Not worth the risks unless you have severe acne and it's a last resort medication. Your still young so acne is most likely related your hormones and puberty. I'd wait it out a couple years.

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/24/2014 4:26 am

Also if I wait longer my acne may cause a lot of scarring right?

If so that's another reason that I might have to start using accutane :l

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/24/2014 7:47 am

I'm 18 and i started Accutane with a little bit worse acne than yours. The main problem is that it was scarring. I also started it because my derm told me that it was pretty weird to develop moderate acne at 18 when i didn't have any through my puberty.

It's your choice. I've seen dudes that took it and didn't have even 5 pimples at least,so ridiculous...

Think about it,quit reading crap and lies on internet,talk to your friends,family and find people that took it in real life. Avoid internet.

Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/24/2014 8:32 am

I'm 18 and i started Accutane with a little bit worse acne than yours. The main problem is that it was scarring. I also started it because my derm told me that it was pretty weird to develop moderate acne at 18 when i didn't have any through my puberty.

It's your choice. I've seen dudes that took it and didn't have even 5 pimples at least,so ridiculous...

Think about it,quit reading crap and lies on internet,talk to your friends,family and find people that took it in real life. Avoid internet.

Good luck

Thanks man 🙂

How was your experience with accutane?

Also the main problem of your acne was that it was scarring? Or the main problem of accutane? :S

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/24/2014 8:49 am

Thanks man

Also the main problem of your acne was that it was scarring? Or the main problem of accutane? :S

I have 3 months left on the 'tane. So far,side effects are: Dry overall skin,dry lips,dry and increased body wide hair shedding [no hairloss at all] and -can deal with- lower back pain. Also accutane messes with my pre-existent -before accutane- internal hemorrhoids,but nothing serious or even to take in mind at all.

Oh,and my acne ? Cleared. Just red marks and some surfacing clogged pores.

The problem was that my acne was scarring,that's why i started the tane.

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/24/2014 8:55 am

Thanks man

I have 3 months left on the 'tane. So far,side effects are: Dry overall skin,dry lips,dry and increased body wide hair shedding [no hairloss at all] and -can deal with- lower back pain. Also accutane messes with my pre-existent -before accutane- internal hemorrhoids,but nothing serious or even to take in mind at all.

Oh,and my acne ? Cleared. Just red marks and some surfacing clogged pores.

The problem was that my acne was scarring,that's why i started the tane.

Thanks so much man

Do you think I should start it? :S

My main concern is if it stunts height.

I think that's pretty rare though right?

The problem is if I start accutane in like 1 year the amount of scarring will probably increase.

And also I wanna get rid of my acne ASAP it's annoying lol

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/24/2014 9:03 am

Thanks so much man

Do you think I should start it? :S

My main concern is if it stunts height.

I think that's pretty rare though right?

The problem is if I start accutane in like 1 year the amount of scarring will probably increase.

And also I wanna get rid of my acne ASAP it's annoying lol

No one should take a decision for you. Even more if it is taking or not Accutane. Just take recommendations that come from your dermatologist,family or friends.

A friend of mine took Accutane at 15. He didn't experienced any stunt height or related. But his acne was for sure pretty severe.

Also,i started it because i have tried almost everything,from OTC products to prescribed medications,and for some reason none of them worked for me.

MemberMember
(@theentertainer)

Posted : 08/24/2014 10:19 am

Based on your photos, my acne before starting Roaccutane was slightly better than yours. I'm 16/male and had tried Duac, Zineryt, Differin and Lymecycline (I was on the antibiotic for 6 months) and then I was referred to the hospital dermatology department by my GP for consultation (I'm in the UK.) The derm said my acne wasn't too bad but would only get worse which he could apparently tell by the fact I had acne on my chest/back as well - like you - so Roaccutane was advised. If your acne is having a psychological effect on you, I would absolutely recommend it. Everywhere I go my acne is at the forefront of my thoughts, so I just knew it was time to say goodbye to it which was pretty liberating.

I'm on day 19 now and going through the flare up so I can't personally speak of miraculous results but I'm feeling very hopeful. Side-effects wise, I have the usual dryness and lower back pain, but nothing awful. My GP assured me there was very little clinical evidence supporting growth stunts, but I guess I chose to hear what I wanted to hear. No one reacts the same to the drug and ultimately it's your choice but I'd say go for it, especially if your derm suggested it. After all, they're the experts.

PS I totally know what you mean about the acne moving around the face...my problem zone was originally my forehead and chin but now my chin is clear and my forehead is slowly improving but my cheeks are the by far the worst...

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/24/2014 11:31 am

The derm said my acne wasn't too bad but would only get worse which he could apparently tell by the fact I had acne on my chest/back as well - like you - so Roaccutane was advised. If your acne is having a psychological effect on you, I would absolutely recommend it. Everywhere I go my acne is at the forefront of my thoughts, so I just knew it was time to say goodbye to it which was pretty liberating.

Agreeding to everything that this guy (or girl) said.i also was developing acne on my chest and back,and it was completely ruining my social life.

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/24/2014 12:28 pm

The derm said my acne wasn't too bad but would only get worse which he could apparently tell by the fact I had acne on my chest/back as well - like you - so Roaccutane was advised. If your acne is having a psychological effect on you, I would absolutely recommend it. Everywhere I go my acne is at the forefront of my thoughts, so I just knew it was time to say goodbye to it which was pretty liberating.

Agreeding to everything that this guy (or girl) said.i also was developing acne on my chest and back,and it was completely ruining my social life.

Based on your photos, my acne before starting Roaccutane was slightly better than yours. I'm 16/male and had tried Duac, Zineryt, Differin and Lymecycline (I was on the antibiotic for 6 months) and then I was referred to the hospital dermatology department by my GP for consultation (I'm in the UK.) The derm said my acne wasn't too bad but would only get worse which he could apparently tell by the fact I had acne on my chest/back as well - like you - so Roaccutane was advised. If your acne is having a psychological effect on you, I would absolutely recommend it. Everywhere I go my acne is at the forefront of my thoughts, so I just knew it was time to say goodbye to it which was pretty liberating.

I'm on day 19 now and going through the flare up so I can't personally speak of miraculous results but I'm feeling very hopeful. Side-effects wise, I have the usual dryness and lower back pain, but nothing awful. My GP assured me there was very little clinical evidence supporting growth stunts, but I guess I chose to hear what I wanted to hear. No one reacts the same to the drug and ultimately it's your choice but I'd say go for it, especially if your derm suggested it. After all, they're the experts.

PS I totally know what you mean about the acne moving around the face...my problem zone was originally my forehead and chin but now my chin is clear and my forehead is slowly improving but my cheeks are the by far the worst...

Thank you both so much!
Acne has definitely affected my social life/ confidence to some extent. I'm more towards taking accutane at this point. Going to decide by tomorrow hopefully
MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2014 12:43 pm

Thank you all VERY much for your answers.

Here are the pictures of my acne(This is me, now that i think of it it's actually worse than I thought)-

^there are 7 images, you can scroll through them by clicking the numbers 1-7

I've had acne since I was around 14.

It used to be very bad only in my forehead and my cheeks were totally clear, however for some reason now it has changed: my forehead pretty much has no acne but my cheek has a lot. :s

Currently I'm using benzyl peroxide for my body (At night), differin for my face at night, clindamycin for my face in the morning and also have been on tetralysal for over 1 month. I've been on different medication for around almost 2 years.

So after taking this into consideration do you guys still think I shouldn't take accutane?

Do not take Accutane for that. Your acne is very manageable at this stage. If your not digging the results you are getting from differin I would suggest epiduo or retin a they are higher strength topicals that should clear that right up. So not worth going on tane. Trust me I was on it for severe acne for 7 months and it wrecks havoc with your body, I had side effects while taking it with my joints and my lower back. 2 years later I still have issues with my joints. I can't go biking or running or jogging. Any impact on my joints they flare up and I can barley walk without extreme pain, I have to be put on high doses of predisone to reduce the swelling, if had to have fluid drained from my knees, I've been put on high doses of pain medication. Looks like this is an issue I'll continue to have thanks to Accutane. Not to mention I was only clear for 3 months post Accutane before I started breaking out again. 7 months of hell for 3 months of clear skin. You couldn't pay me to take Accutane again.

Are you on birth control at all? That will help control your hormones. Since your young my parents might not be thrilled about birth control but just think of it as a treatment though. Another thing you can try is Spirolactone. I am taking that now and have been for 15 months almost 16 months. That cleared me right up, it's a no fuss treatment, it controls your hormones in turn preventing acne. If your acne is hormonal. At this age I would most certainly think your acne is hormonal. I have no side effects from this medication just clear skin. Something every female should try before taking Accutane.

MemberMember
(@sirluminary)

Posted : 08/24/2014 2:13 pm

Hey @Like Moonlight, what's the best brand of birth control for guys? Haha, just kidding, but OP is male.

Also, Accutane is like a game of Russian roulette. I would suggest to give The Regimen ( http://www.acne.org/regimen ) a try, since it got me completely clear if you follow it to a T.

I took Accutane twice. First time kept me half a year clear, with minor dryness side-effects. Second time, horrible side effects, so I quit early, and now back on The Regimen.

I really hoped Accutane was gonna be the answer, but unfortunately it wasn't. The potential long lasting side-effects are not worth it. It really messes up and dries your insides, which can cause bigger problems down the line.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2014 3:14 pm

Hey @Like Moonlight, what's the best brand of birth control for guys? Haha, just kidding, but OP is male.

Also, Accutane is like a game of Russian roulette. I would suggest to give The Regimen ( http://www.acne.org/regimen ) a try, since it got me completely clear if you follow it to a T.

I took Accutane twice. First time kept me half a year clear, with minor dryness side-effects. Second time, horrible side effects, so I quit early, and now back on The Regimen.

I really hoped Accutane was gonna be the answer, but unfortunately it wasn't. The potential long lasting side-effects are not worth it. It really messes up and dries your insides, which can cause bigger problems down the line.

My birth control suggestion was meant for BigJudy. For a male though you can use saw palmetto for hormonal acne 🙂

MemberMember
(@sirluminary)

Posted : 08/24/2014 3:28 pm

My birth control suggestion was meant for BigJudy. For a male though you can use saw palmetto for hormonal acne

BigJudy is the OP/Male. And that's good to know. 🙂

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/24/2014 3:35 pm

Y

My birth control suggestion was meant for BigJudy. For a male though you can use saw palmetto for hormonal acne

MemberMember
(@sirluminary)

Posted : 08/24/2014 3:48 pm

Yes, I would suggest you try The Regimen. Give it time too. Don't jump from one thing to another. There's a certain way to use Benzoyl Peroxide, as described in The Regimen.

I was always prescribed BP when I was younger, and didn't do it right, so I, too, thought that it's not working, until I started following the described way on this website.

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/24/2014 4:02 pm

Yes, I would suggest you try The Regimen. Give it time too. Don't jump from one thing to another. There's a certain way to use Benzoyl Peroxide, as described in The Regimen.

I was always prescribed BP when I was younger, and didn't do it right, so I, too, thought that it's not working, until I started following the described way on this website.

Good point 🙂 thanks man I'll try that out.

Also bought jojoba oil today, let's see how that goes 😛

For the regimen what cleanser and what moisturiser did u use?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2014 4:19 pm

Y

Haha thanks for your answer but yea I'm a male :')

I think you're looking at the wrong picture, this is a picture of my acne

What would u suggest me to do?

If you think that i shouldn't take accutane what safe medicine would u suggest for me?

I might try the regimen but i've used benzyl peroxide before and it hasn't helped much.

Currently using epiduo for my body acne and differin for my face (Started this around 5 days ago). I'll see how it goes. If u have any other suggestions lemme know so i can also try them 😀

tysm for ur help 🙂

Btw do you also suggest for me to try palmetto?

Ah shit, I'm sorry. I think i did look at the wrong picture and that was of a female. Whoops. My mistake. In this case don't take birth control lol :p

I think that looking into hormonal treatments for males is worth it. Here is a topic posted on this site that a lot of people found helpful trying to understand hormones and treatments. Worth reading through.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/330164-the-big-hormone-post-for-both-men-and-women/

I would stick with the treatments you are using right now for at least 3 months. That is usually when you can accurately judge if the treatment is working or not. Don't rush into Accutane. Try everything else first.

MemberMember
(@sirluminary)

Posted : 08/24/2014 5:22 pm

Good point thanks man I'll try that out.

Also bought jojoba oil today, let's see how that goes

For the regimen what cleanser and what moisturiser did u use?

This website sells the products that I used. Check out their store. Whenever you have some time, just read The Regimen page as it describes what products to use in detail, better than I can paraphrase it.

Best of luck! This website has been very helpful for me, so stick around.

MemberMember
(@bigjudy)

Posted : 08/25/2014 12:22 am

I think I've finally come to a decision

I'm going to try some different products/perhaps the regime until christmas.

I'll see how it goes (Probably won't see too many results since my skin is a total piece of shit lol).

If I don't see any results(Most probably won't) I'll start accutane at the beginning of my christmas holidays.