Notifications
Clear all

Could My Acne Be Hormonal Even If All Other Related Issues Are Ok? Please Help 🙁

MemberMember
(@itstrue)

Posted : 08/23/2014 3:28 pm

Hi!

I´m trying to figure out the root of my acne problem. Doctors don´t help at all. I´m studying medicine, too, and it doesn´t help neither. I feel so lost :(

Sometimes I think my acne must be hormonal (I´m a 28 year old girl, acne started at 23) because it´s on my chin and around the mouth.

The problem is that my blood tests are perfect and do not show any imbalance. I have read a lot of threads here and know that this can be totally possible and still have hormonal acne.

But my doubt is: every other thing related to hormonal imbalances is ok in me: don´t have irregular periods, don´t have pms, my periods don´t hurt at all, don´t have hirsutism, and I don´t neccesarily see a conection between my pimples and the time of the cycle I am in. Is it still possible for me to have hormonal acne? I would be very thankful if you girls could tell me if you have irregular periods etc, or not.

Thanks a lot. :)

And sorry if my English is not good enough, I speak Spanish.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/23/2014 5:08 pm

Yes it's very possible that your acne is hormonal even though you don't have any red flags. I tried just about everything you can try to treat acne. Every antibiotic, 5 different topicals, proactive, BP, SA, and Accutane. After I did my Accutane course I did get clear skin, of course 3 months later I started to break out again. I had heard a lot about Spirolactone after jointing this website for support during my Accutane course. I decided to give it a shot even though I was sure my acne was not hormonal. To my surprise it cleared my skin right up. I've been taking it for 15 months now and I love it! Just one pill a day, no side effects, something I can rely on. No more waking up and being scared to look in the mirror to see what my face would look like today. So a search on this site for spiro and you will see a lot of information about it and see stories.

The location of your acne screams hormonal acne. Your dermatologist can prescribe it, or your OBGYN can prescribe it. Something to consider for sure!

MemberMember
(@itstrue)

Posted : 08/25/2014 4:18 pm

Yes, I have already tried loooots of things too and nothing Works ( except Accutane, that I´m not willing to try!!) I think it´s very possible that spirolactone is the answer, but I hate taking pills :( now I´m trying to keep a good diet and stay away for chemicals (they gave me lots of problems, including a lot of inflamation and even perioral dermatitis!!! but if the diet doesn´t Work, I´ll have to give it a try with spiro..

Thank you for answering! :)

MemberMember
(@muffinbunny)

Posted : 08/28/2014 5:10 pm

Hi I've just had my hormones checked and all are totally normal, but I've had hormonal acne since the age of 9 (i'm 30 next year and it shows no signs of clearing at all)

I think sometimes its not the hormone levels that are the problem but our skins reaction to the hormones

Xx

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/28/2014 6:47 pm

Hi I've just had my hormones checked and all are totally normal, but I've had hormonal acne since the age of 9 (i'm 30 next year and it shows no signs of clearing at all)

I think sometimes its not the hormone levels that are the problem but our skins reaction to the hormones

Xx

My hormonal levels all came out normal too, when I had mine checked. I am on Spirolactone for my acne though and it clears my skin.

MemberMember
(@muffinbunny)

Posted : 08/29/2014 7:46 am

Xx

My hormonal levels all came out normal too, when I had mine checked. I am on Spirolactone for my acne though and it clears my skin.

I'll have to ask my derm about this, it's never even been mentioned to me! I'm back on Dianette for 6 months again, doing 6 months on 6 months off at the mo xx

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/29/2014 11:15 am

It is safe for you to take spiro and dianette at the same time. I would ask your derm or OBGYN about it for sure. My dermatologist never mentioned spiro to me either. I was on Accutane when I joined this site for support and looking around at other peoples logs I would see that after women finished their courses and acne started to return that spiro would often clear the skin again. So I always kept it in the back of my mind to give that a shot if my acne returned. Low and behold 3 months after my Accutane course, I started to break out again. At this point I decided to meet with my OBGYN since they are way more experienced with hormonal acne than most dermatologists. My OBGYN was all for prescribing the spiro which was a relief. That same day she tested my hormonal levels and prescribed me the medication. About a week later I got the results and they were all within normal range. So I didn't think spiro would work but she told me to continue with the medication anyways and see what happens to my acne. Sure enough it cleared my skin up and has kept me clear besides from the occasional zit I get.

MemberMember
(@simmyx33)

Posted : 09/02/2014 6:20 pm

Try taking zinc. Zinc supplements have been known to reduce DHT (the stupid androgen that causes acne) Also, saw palmetto lowers oil production.