Notifications
Clear all

I Hate What Acne Is Doing To Me

MemberMember
(@fsp)

Posted : 08/23/2014 7:56 am

I hate the way acne makes me feel! I managed to avoid teen acne but I've been facing 'adult' acne from 18 to now 22 and its not getting any better. Its hard not to look at pictures of when clear skin was a normal thing. Acne is ruining my life I feel depressed. I avoid social situations as much as I can. I want to live my life at 22 and be happy but I cant. I try to be thankful and put my acne in perspective but a lot of the time this is hard.

I have finally been referred for the second time to a dermatologist, I have tried everything prescription and non and nothing. I guess the last stage I'm at is accutane but we will see if this is even an option.

MemberMember
(@dreamerhigh)

Posted : 08/23/2014 1:14 pm

same , The weird thing is when other people have acne I find it so attractive in the fact that I know what there going thru and I just want to give them a hug. In fact I usually only like guys with acne something sexy about someone you can relate too on something that has ruined you. Also I've broken down a lot in the past but I've promised my self to never cy again so when the feelings come overwhelming I only let that one tear stroll down my face.

I wish I knew you so I could hug you. You will get thru this stay strong. I really know how you feel . I'm sorry this has happened to you .

MissSac17 and FSP liked
MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 08/23/2014 3:24 pm

We've all been there, just gotta keep moving on and hope for the better.

MemberMember
(@brianneg)

Posted : 08/23/2014 7:41 pm

I feel ugly with acne

I'd like to make a small correction to this statement that I think is important.

You do NOT feel ugly. Ugly is not an emotion, it cannot be felt. It's actually not even a real thing. What is ugly? It's an opinion. You THINK your are ugly - which is all together different.

Here's why that's an important distinction: It is entirely possible to change your thought patterns, and your opinions of yourself. I was just discussing this elsewhere. I'd like to share with you what I shared with her, because I think it could be equally as useful for you.

You've got yourself stuck in a destructive thought pattern. We all do it. Our brains are hardwired for it. Our brains put our thoughts on autopilot if we let them, and it doesn't care if the thoughts are good or bad, useful or not useful, empowering or destructive.

In fact, your thinking brain can't tell the difference, because your thinking brain and your feeling brain are separate. All your thinking brain knows is that somewhere along the way you started thinking this a lot, so it decided to make it your go to thought pattern. It carved out a rut and put it on autopilot. And once we get stuck there, it's hard to get out of the pattern. But it IS possible, you just have to consistently fight the destructive pattern enough so that a new pattern forms.

For example, you have to start catching yourself as much as you can when you start thinking all those useless (and UNTRUE) thoughts, then literally tell yourself right out loud "STOP!"

I'm quite serious. Tell your brain, "hey, this isn't helping me right now!" Then, distract yourself. Go do something, preferably something physical, or something that requires your mental attention, like a puzzle. Better yet, focus on someone or something else. Do you know anyone, friends, family, even pets, that need attention? That could use your help? That's the number one way to fight thoughts like this. Show yourself you have value - because you do - and take the power away from your autopilot brain.

It's hard in the beginning, because your autopilot brain really wants things to stay the same. It prefers patterns and likes you thinking the same thoughts and doing the same things - that works against you if those thoughts and things aren't empowering, but it works in your favor you if the thoughts are helpful. So, you have to retrain your brain to work in your favor.

If you do it enough, it becomes easier, you find relief. You train your brain to look for ways OUT of the crummy thoughts, instead of staying in them.

Once those thoughts no longer have such a hold on you, then you replace them with more useful ones. You tell yourself soothing thoughts. Empowering thoughts. Enough so they stick and become your new pattern. But you can't do this part until you've started to break the old pattern. Until then, the good thoughts will feel empty and not bring you much relief (as you've probably noticed).

I hope that helps you. I promise you if you make breaking your thought pattern a priority, you will find relief, regardless of the condition of your skin. Best of luck to you.

MemberMember
(@crodd)

Posted : 08/27/2014 4:29 pm

I know how you feel, I think most people here know that feeling . I skipped those teenage years too . From 19 to now 22 I've been suffering from mild to extreme acne . Waking up is a drag knowing that I'm going to face myself in the mirror and see something I don't like . Last week I was breakout free and this week has been hell . I here for you if you need someone to talk too . I hope you're feeling better .

MemberMember
(@fsp)

Posted : 08/30/2014 10:12 am

My skin also varies from mild one week then hell the next, horrible isn't it. Thank you for your nice comment.

I know how you feel, I think most people here know that feeling . I skipped those teenage years too . From 19 to now 22 I've been suffering from mild to extreme acne . Waking up is a drag knowing that I'm going to face myself in the mirror and see something I don't like . Last week I was breakout free and this week has been hell . I here for you if you need someone to talk too . I hope you're feeling better .