Notifications
Clear all

Am I Even On The Right Track With My Diet?

MemberMember
(@whyitworks)

Posted : 08/22/2014 10:52 pm

Hi,

Just to give some background, I am a 16 year old girl with a combination of hormonal and "other" acne. On a good day its mild (redness, bumps, and both white and blackheads), but on the bad days its borderline severe. (I'm talking painful cysts and swellings along my jawline). Starting 6 weeks ago I have decided to cut dairy and soy products from my diet, also I am trying to cut back on my salt and sugar intake. And due to a very unusual encounter with a holistic doctor (wasn't there for acne, wasn't even there for myself) I am now on a supplement regimen and I wanted to know if I'm going in the right way for both overall and hormonal health in an attempt to calm my face.

I am taking:

Raw Probiotics for Women (1 pill 2x a day)

Similase GFCF digestive enzymes (1 pill 2x a day)

Caprystatin: 100mg Caprylic Acid (1 pill 2x a day)

Alpha Lipoic Acid: 100mg (1 pill 2x a day)

I have had no side affects to taking these supplements, and honestly my skin has fluctuated less in the 6 weeks on my new diet (its remained on the lower side of the spectrum), but I would like to banish the acne and I'm not sure if with more or different diet choices I might be able to do just that.

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 08/22/2014 11:22 pm

Honestly, I don't think a diet is necessary. I've been to a number of doctors/dermatologists and they all told me that a diet was not needed. I think your hormones are the cause of your acne. Try asking your doctor for birth control pills; many of my female friends told me that it cleared them right up. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/23/2014 5:53 am

Good that you're trying to take control of your acne problem. You're making a great start! If you're asking what else you can do, I suggest you make sure you're getting plenty of organic fruits and veg in your diet (preferably raw) and to avoid as much as possible any processed foods. Despite what doctors/dermatologists say diet has a lot to do with skin conditions, so keep doing what you're doing

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/23/2014 9:45 am

The diet is good. Replace the processes, sugary, refined grain and trans fat foods with real, whole nutrient dense foods. This is basic for everything to do with your health, especially hormones, glucose metabolism, inflammation, and acne.

MemberMember
(@whyitworks)

Posted : 08/23/2014 11:46 am

I am unable to go on birth control pills, due to the fact that they make me sick, as well as I don't want to be taking false hormones to get rid of the problem temporarily... I am keeping a fairly wholesome diet, and I am trying to stay away from high yeast foods and I drink homemade smoothies a lot (just fruit and vegetables, sometimes a scoop of peanut butter or splash of unsweetened almond milk when i want to mix things up) But is that all I can really do? I certainly have felt better during this food diet, but my skin hasn't improved much...more it has stabilized...

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/23/2014 2:22 pm

Well, so long as you're eating fresh organic food daily, then looks like you're on the right tracks, keep it up! I wouldn't be disheartened just yet, it can take a few months to notice the difference on the surface level. The fact that you're mentally feeling better in yourself shows that you're on the right path with your new diet If you want to do more, a good fitness regime and/or meditation can also be extremely beneficial.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/23/2014 5:29 pm

I am unable to go on birth control pills, due to the fact that they make me sick, as well as I don't want to be taking false hormones to get rid of the problem temporarily... I am keeping a fairly wholesome diet, and I am trying to stay away from high yeast foods and I drink homemade smoothies a lot (just fruit and vegetables, sometimes a scoop of peanut butter or splash of unsweetened almond milk when i want to mix things up) But is that all I can really do? I certainly have felt better during this food diet, but my skin hasn't improved much...more it has stabilized...

As natural as possible circadian cycle with good sleep, exercise and stress management are equally important.

MemberMember
(@brianneg)

Posted : 08/23/2014 7:51 pm

I echo a lot of the advice above. You are on the right track. I've seen both in my own skin and that of my clients how overall health and well being can help with skin problems.

Looks like you're doing well with what you're eating, to see even more results, you may want to take more steps. I'd consider making regular exercise a part of your daily routine. Focus on getting adequate sleep every night. If you are anxious or often in stressful situations, look for some stress relieving exercises like breathing or meditation. Be kind to your whole self, mind, body, soul and skin and I believe you'll continue to see improvement.

Take care and best of luck.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 08/24/2014 5:35 pm

Whole foods pseudo-paleo diet, full night's sleep, exercise, and sunshine. These are the first steps and the easiest things you can do too control your skin at a fundamental level.

The holistic doctor is treating you for candida overgrowth. I doubt this is the problem. But nothing you are taking will hurt you.