Notifications
Clear all

Needing A Face Cleanser

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/22/2014 4:05 pm

My acne is not going away and in fact is worse than it was in 2012 when i tried the holistic approach. i have taken the diet and lifestyle changes very seriously and things have not improved. At this point, i'm done. My face at the present is broken out, dry around the mouth chin area and just looks irritated. Would it be ok to try a honey yogurt mix as a cleanser to help with dryness and calm the irritation down? Oils irritate my skin as well as ACV and green tea. I'd rather just have to deal with acne than acne and irritated skin

Thanks for the input.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/22/2014 4:52 pm

My TCM doc just gave me a bag of Chinese crysanthemum (raw herb, antiseptic and antibiotic) and told me to only wash my face with it until I'm healed.

The instructions were to boil a couple tablespoons for 10 min, then when it cools to sponge it on your face, with gauze if needed.

EDIT: I just tried it! Really 2 tbsp is too much. That make about thirty flowers bloom in the water, you just really need a chunk (2-3) flowers. Very mild fragrance. The blooms are soft but you can pick them up and smoosh and roll them over your face. It's very very calming and softening.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/22/2014 6:16 pm

I have been on the hunt for the perfect face cleanser for so long now. So many cleansers on the market today have ingredients in them which are clogging. My favorite gentle cleanser I've found so far is the Sanitas Sensitive Skin Cleanser. It only has three ingredients and feels really gentle. I prefer a cleanser that has chemical exfoliants in it because without that my skin starts looking gross. Right now I'm liking the Sharon Marie Alpha Hydroxy Foaming Facial Wash with 5% glycolic acid. It only has 5 very basic ingredients and the amount of glycolic acid in it isn't too irritating which is nice. It also contains lavender which is anti-bacterial.

Edit to add: If you're not oily, yogurt and honey might work as a face wash. It's not something I would be able to use long term, though, because it wouldn't make me feel clean enough. The Sanitas cleanser I mentioned is actually a post peel cleanser. It's super gentle and contains beta glucan which has a bunch of great skin benefits. Beta glucan is also found in oatmeal, so you could try an oatmeal mask. I've used oatmeal masks in the past, and I found them very soothing.

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/22/2014 6:23 pm

As a cleanser, virtually anything natural is good, go ahead and use the yogurt honey mix, as long as you wash it off afterwards it's fine to use.. Anyway, I'm not totally sure what you're trying to bring across here, are you saying that your acne is worse since you started eating more healthy in 2012? Ideally if you were eating healthily since 2012 you should certainly see improvement..

1) Are you eating organic foods?

2) Are you sure you're getting every vitamin and all the essential fats in your diet? (check here: Vitamin chart)

3) Do you eat your veg raw or do you cook it?

3) Do you eat much processed foods?

4) How much sugar & carbs are in your diet in comparison to the fruits and veg you eat?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/22/2014 7:00 pm

On 8/23/2014 at 5:23 AM, Andrew Jenkins said:

As a cleanser, virtually anything natural is good, go ahead and use the yogurt honey mix, as long as you wash it off afterwards it's fine to use.. Anyway, I'm not totally sure what you're trying to bring across here, are you saying that your acne is worse since you started eating more healthy in 2012? Ideally if you were eating healthily since 2012 you should certainly see improvement..

2) Are you sure you're getting every vitamin and all the essential fats in your diet? (check here: Vitamin chart)

4) How much sugar & carbs are in your diet in comparison to the fruits and veg you eat?

I'm saying that diet is clearly not the number 1 issue - i do believe i have an underlying cause - maybe hormonal . I do all of the above, though i eat organic when i can afford to do it. Did plaeo for a while. No processed foods - eat out rarely. I even saw 3 naturopaths in nyc and none were able to help over a year period

On 8/23/2014 at 5:16 AM, paigems said:

I have been on the hunt for the perfect face cleanser for so long now. So many cleansers on the market today have ingredients in them which are clogging. My favorite gentle cleanser I've found so far is the Sanitas Sensitive Skin Cleanser. It only has three ingredients and feels really gentle. I prefer a cleanser that has chemical exfoliants in it because without that my skin starts looking gross. Right now I'm liking the Sharon Marie Alpha Hydroxy Foaming Facial Wash with 5% glycolic acid. It only has 5 very basic ingredients and the amount of glycolic acid in it isn't too irritating which is nice. It also contains lavender which is anti-bacterial.

Edit to add: If you're not oily, yogurt and honey might work as a face wash. It's not something I would be able to use long term, though, because it wouldn't make me feel clean enough. The Sanitas cleanser I mentioned is actually a post peel cleanser. It's super gentle and contains beta glucan which has a bunch of great skin benefits. Beta glucan is also found in oatmeal, so you could try an oatmeal mask. I've used oatmeal masks in the past, and I found them very soothing.

The first one seemed promising but it had a bunch of chemicals, namely sodium laurl

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/22/2014 7:26 pm

On 8/23/2014 at 6:00 AM, leelowe1 said:

I'm saying that diet is clearly not the number 1 issue - i do believe i have an underlying cause - maybe hormonal . I do all of the above, though i eat organic when i can afford to do it. Did plaeo for a while. No processed foods - eat out rarely. I even saw 3 naturopaths in nyc and none were able to help over a year period

It is not clear when you haven't tried every avenue. Even hormonal acne a proper diet can fix... Hormones are broken down in the liver the same as bodily toxins, it is when the liver is unable to process both hormones and toxins that you see the "hormonal acne" problem. You say you eat organic when you can afford to do it, but you don't state how often. Non-organic foods can be very dangerous especially if your body is already finding it difficult to process excess hormones and toxins in your system, adding more toxins is certainly not a good idea. In my opinion there is no compromise on health... If you're not already aware of the dangers of genetically modified foods I suggest you do alittle research, acne is just the tip of the iceburg. Lastly, eating out isn't the only source of processed foods, it can include anything you don't prepare from scratch such as the meals you buy from your supermarket, even fruit juices...

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/22/2014 7:51 pm

On 8/23/2014 at 6:26 AM, Andrew Jenkins said:

It is not clear when you haven't tried every avenue. Even hormonal acne a proper diet can fix... Hormones are broken down in the liver the same as bodily toxins, it is when the liver is unable to process both hormones and toxins that you see the "hormonal acne" problem. You say you eat organic when you can afford to do it, but you don't state how often. Non-organic foods can be very dangerous especially if your body is already finding it difficult to process excess hormones and toxins in your system, adding more toxins is certainly not a good idea. In my opinion there is no compromise on health... If you're not already aware of the dangers of genetically modified foods I suggest you do alittle research, acne is just the tip of the iceburg. Lastly, eating out isn't the only source of processed foods, it can include anything you don't prepare from scratch such as the meals you buy from your supermarket, even fruit juices...

I am not an idiot. I know how to define the word processed and I don't buy pre prepared meals and snacks. My vegetables are organic but unless i'm going to live on the streets of NYC, i can't afford all organic all the time. GMO's are also not a new concept to me. I think solely saying diet is the cure all for all is dismissive and makes the rest of us that have tried many things feel as if acne is our fault. I think the body is unique and if something is amiss, it can trigger all sorts of mishaps that a good diet may not be able to fix.

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/22/2014 8:07 pm

On 8/23/2014 at 6:51 AM, leelowe1 said:
On 8/23/2014 at 6:26 AM, Andrew Jenkins said:

I am not an idiot. I know how to define the word processed and I don't buy pre prepared meals and snacks. My vegetables are organic but unless i'm going to live on the streets of NYC, i can't afford all organic all the time. GMO's are also not a new concept to me. I think solely saying diet is the cure all for all is dismissive and makes the rest of us that have tried many things feel as if acne is our fault. I think the body is unique and if something is amiss, it can trigger all sorts of mishaps that a good diet may not be able to fix.

Acne is your fault, something you are putting into your system or something you're not getting enough of is causing that adverse response. You may not know at this point what it is, but dismissing diet as a cause without evaluating the avenues is not something you can afford to do if you're serious about achieving cure.

Also, no one said you're an idiot, I'm attempting to help you, so no need for that sort of reaction. I don't know you personally, nor do I know your beliefs; so when I ask you if you're fully aware of what is considered processed and what isn't, I'm merely eliminating a possible cause off my tick list.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/22/2014 8:15 pm

Wow...just wow. This will be my final post to you specifically. So something I am doing or not doing has made my skin this bad. I guess if i develop cancer down the line, that will be my fault too. Maybe if i have a heart attack or stroke, i brought that on myself.

Don't think the help is not appreciated, i after all solicited advice, but if 3 naturopaths, countless derms, medical doctors with their blood tests and veterans on this board have not been able to give advice that helped me, what unique perspective would you be able to bring?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/22/2014 8:22 pm

Acne is not your fault! I don't understand the point of some of the negativity on here. Even when my diet is clean as can be, I still breakout. That's just how it is for some people I guess.

Anyway, back to the cleanser topic... I don't think the sodium laurylglucosides in the sanitas are like sodium lauryl sulfate, but I could be wrong. The cleanser definitely doesn't foam like a typical SLS or even SLES cleanser. In fact, it barely foams at all.

Have you tried making your own oil cleanser? You can take an oil your skin likes and mix it with an emulsifier which will make the oil rinse clean. My favorite combo was cromollient and watermelon seed oil.

You might also find nice, natural cleansers on etsy. That's how I found the glycolic cleanser I'm using now.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/22/2014 8:27 pm

Acne is not your fault! I don't understand the point of some of the negativity on here. Even when my diet is clean as can be, I still breakout. That's just how it is for some people I guess.

Anyway, back to the cleanser topic... I don't think the sodium laurylglucosides in the sanitas are like sodium lauryl sulfate, but I could be wrong. The cleanser definitely doesn't foam like a typical SLS or even SLES cleanser. In fact, it barely foams at all.

Have you tried making your own oil cleanser? You can take an oil your skin likes and mix it with an emulsifier which will make the oil rinse clean. My favorite combo was cromollient and watermelon seed oil.

You might also find nice, natural cleansers on etsy. That's how I found the glycolic cleanser I'm using now.

Thanks hun. My skin doesn't like any oils. I break out everyday. I'm living in hell right now.

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/22/2014 8:37 pm

Wow...just wow. This will be my final post to you specifically. So something I am doing or not doing has made my skin this bad. I guess if i develop cancer down the line, that will be my fault too. Maybe if i have a heart attack or stroke, i brought that on myself.

Don't think the help is not appreciated, i after all solicited advice, but if 3 naturopaths, countless derms, medical doctors with their blood tests and veterans on this board have not been able to give advice that helped me, what unique perspective would you be able to bring?

Whether intentional or not, every effect has a cause. Don't get me wrong I don't place blame, it would be superhuman for someone to know the cause of everything bad happening in their life, but yes, I believe wholeheartedly that you personally have control over your illness, so in that effect, yes it is your fault. It's ok if you don't wish to converse further, that is your prerogative. I'm giving my advice out for free, if it's not wanted I have no reason to go above and beyond.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/22/2014 8:47 pm

Hm, ok, well some other recs...

If you search etsy for "honey cleanser" you'll find one by a seller called aunaturelle which doesn't look bad.

You could also try mixing powdered stevia with honey and cleanse with that. Stevia is a natural glycoside and can remove oil and dirt from the skin. I had great results using it when my skin was less oily, but lately it has been so oily that the stevia was no longer enough for me.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/23/2014 10:15 am

Paige, have you tried reducing the oil by blotting the oil away rather than trying to find a surfactant tough enough to strip it away? Because it isn't just removing the surface oil.