Notifications
Clear all

"failed" Accutane Blood Test, Having Another One, How Can I Pass It?

MemberMember
(@js95)

Posted : 08/22/2014 10:38 am

Hi, I recently had a blood test for accutane. Much to my disappointment, at my follow-up appointment the dermatologist said there was something with my liver. They gave me no more information than that. I am adamant that my liver is entirely healthy due to previous health checks and my life style. I am absolutely desperate to take accutane also (Please don't wast your time trying to convince me otherwise, I have decided), so I was very disappointed in having failed that test (Another 4 months of hell, at least). I have another test in a month and was wondering what can I do to get the best possible chance of not being told I'm unsuitable again. I think I failed as, although I'm not a frequent binge-drinker, I have to say I had binge-drank in the preceding week, maybe 10+ drinks on a night out. Could this have skewed the readings? Many thanks,

MemberMember
(@js95)

Posted : 08/22/2014 3:40 pm

Bump

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/22/2014 10:15 pm

Yes that could have screwed your blood test. Good rule of thumb don't drink more than drink or two the week before your blood work. No drinks at all the two days before you blood work. Are you currently on Accutane now? Or was the blood draw for you to start your Accutane course? If your on Accutane already the tests levels may be bad due to the Accutane and it's not definite that the liquor caused your liver levels to me off. Call your derm and ask for more information about your blood tests.

MemberMember
(@js95)

Posted : 08/23/2014 5:41 am

Yes that could have screwed your blood test. Good rule of thumb don't drink more than drink or two the week before your blood work. No drinks at all the two days before you blood work. Are you currently on Accutane now? Or was the blood draw for you to start your Accutane course? If your on Accutane already the tests levels may be bad due to the Accutane and it's not definite that the liquor caused your liver levels to me off. Call your derm and ask for more information about your blood tests.

Hey, I'm not currently on Accutane due to that blood test! I have to wait 4 months now for another blood test, then a month for the results, so 5 months in total before I might or might not start Accutane :(.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/23/2014 4:30 pm

Why do you have to wait 4 months? You should only have to wait a couple weeks tops before they retest you

MemberMember
(@js95)

Posted : 08/24/2014 12:14 pm

Why do you have to wait 4 months? You should only have to wait a couple weeks tops before they retest you

Might I add, I am with the NHS dermatologist. I have an appointment every three months (Mine got pushed back a month, my Doctor is away) so I have to wait for my next appointment before the Doctor can arrange me a blood test I think. Which is in 4 months :(. I presume you are American or private so the system works differently?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2014 2:25 pm

Might I add, I am with the NHS dermatologist. I have an appointment every three months (Mine got pushed back a month, my Doctor is away) so I have to wait for my next appointment before the Doctor can arrange me a blood test I think. Which is in 4 months :(. I presume you are American or private so the system works differently?

I live in America yeah. I know our systems work differently. I have a few friends over in the UK that were on Accutane through NHS and they never had to wait that long for an appointment. The initial appointment was a long wait, but once they were in with the doctor they were able to be seen when they needed to be. It seems really unfair that you would have to wait that long. I would understand a months wait but 3 or 4 months is crazy. You should be able to go in and get a blood draw without having an appointment with your dermatologist too. If they put in a order for a blood draw you should be able to go in whenever. I would call the office or hospital you were seen at and ask for another blood draw. Tell them you want to do it in a couple of weeks. Once your doctor gets the results if they are within the limits considered safe for Accutane he or she should be able to prescribe it at that point. If you have already had the initial appointment and they have agreed to place you on Accutane there is no need to wait that long.

I could be wrong, maybe that's your doctors rules or something but none of my friends over in the UK ever had to wait that long, after they saw the doctor they were able to get appointments quickly. It was just that first appointment that took a long time to get.