Notifications
Clear all

Accutane - After Effects ?

MemberMember
(@moisturer)

Posted : 08/22/2014 6:08 am

Hi, i'm debating taking accutane and i would like to know what sort of after-effects it may cause. I don't care about side effects during the treatment. I Have read about them, so please only post if you have taken accutane yourself, or if you know someone who has taken it and tell me if it changed you/that person in any way. Did it affect your brain at all? Did you take an iq test before and after? Did it make your sex-life worse?

I hope as many as possible of you who has taken Accutane, will reply to this :)

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/22/2014 10:43 pm

The after effects you will get after Accutane depends on the side effects you had while taking Accutane. So no one would be able to tell you what you may or may not have happen to you. I can tell you it didn't effect my brain at all. I never got the fuzzy brain that some people experience. I never lost my sex drive while on the medication or after words. I was on Accutane for 7 months. One thing I did Experience while taking Accutane was joint issues in my knees and ankles. That problem did carry over after finishing my course, still have issues with them if I do high impact exercising or sports. That's a bummer for me. Also while taking Accutane I had lower back pain for 6 months of my course and that continued for a few months afterwards.

MemberMember
(@moisturer)

Posted : 08/23/2014 9:11 am

Ty ! posts like these are what i wanna see. So the only issue that may be permanent for you is joint issues in your knees and ankles.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/23/2014 4:42 pm

I hope that is not permanent. Looking more and more like it is, since I've been off the meds for 2 years. Although I had damage done to my joints years before starting Accutane, I had a bad reaction to antibiotics I was on to treat my acne, it was minocycline that I reacted to. So bad as a matter of fact that I could walk without help for 3 months. Yay antibiotics! I think Accutane just made a preexisting issue, worse.

There is a topic on here called the after effects of Accutane, pages and pages of people talking about what Accutane has done to them. Might be worth looking at if your worried, although I think a lot of it is scare mongering. Don't get me wrong, I think those issues are real, but that topic is all about scaring people who are thinking about Accutane.

MemberMember
(@moisturer)

Posted : 08/23/2014 8:42 pm

I hope that is not permanent. Looking more and more like it is, since I've been off the meds for 2 years. Although I had damage done to my joints years before starting Accutane, I had a bad reaction to antibiotics I was on to treat my acne, it was minocycline that I reacted to. So bad as a matter of fact that I could walk without help for 3 months. Yay antibiotics! I think Accutane just made a preexisting issue, worse.

There is a topic on here called the after effects of Accutane, pages and pages of people talking about what Accutane has done to them. Might be worth looking at if your worried, although I think a lot of it is scare mongering. Don't get me wrong, I think those issues are real, but that topic is all about scaring people who are thinking about Accutane.

I do believe accutane is the cause of your current problems, as problems with joints show up in 50% of every post regarding side effects on accutane.

When that's said, i think you didn't get that unlucky, i'd probably trade my acne for your joint problems quite honestly. Do you regret though?

Would you mind giving me the link to that site?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/23/2014 9:52 pm

I do believe accutane is the cause of your current problems, as problems with joints show up in 50% of every post regarding side effects on accutane.

When that's said, i think you didn't get that unlucky, i'd probably trade my acne for your joint problems quite honestly. Do you regret though?

Accutane very well could be the cause of my joint issues. I know the problems I had from the reactions to the minocycline did go away. It wasn't until starting Accutane that the issue came back. My joints are usually ok if I avoid doing any high impact activities. I can't go running or even biking without my joint flaring up. Then I need pain medication and coritsone injections and predisone for months to get them back to normal. It's a real pain honestly. I do regret the Accutane because pin the end it didn't do me any good. It cleared me while I was on it but a few months later my acne came back. I really wish I would have tried treating my acne hormonally before doing Accutane. My dermatologist never thought my acne was hormonal so she never had me try hormonal treatments. She wasn't even open to the idea of it. I was on birth control for years that never helped my acne too. So I always figured it had to be being caused by something else. Once I joined this site for Accutane support, I noticed a lot of girl who had acne return after Accutane were all going on Spirolactone and staying clear with that. So that was my back up plan. Once my acne cropped back up I ran to my OBGYN and asked for Spirolactone which she was happy to prescribe. It's kept me clear for 15 months now. I wish I would have gone that route before Accutane.

The topic I was referring to is actually on this site, here is link to the topic. Lots of reading...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/295030-repairing-the-long-term-damage-from-accutane/page-197#entry3394949

Start from page one and read what you can. Be prepared if Accutane is really something you want to take, this topic will probably scare you away from it.

MemberMember
(@moisturer)

Posted : 08/24/2014 4:11 pm

Accutane very well could be the cause of my joint issues. I know the problems I had from the reactions to the minocycline did go away. It wasn't until starting Accutane that the issue came back. My joints are usually ok if I avoid doing any high impact activities. I can't go running or even biking without my joint flaring up. Then I need pain medication and coritsone injections and predisone for months to get them back to normal. It's a real pain honestly. I do regret the Accutane because pin the end it didn't do me any good. It cleared me while I was on it but a few months later my acne came back. I really wish I would have tried treating my acne hormonally before doing Accutane. My dermatologist never thought my acne was hormonal so she never had me try hormonal treatments. She wasn't even open to the idea of it. I was on birth control for years that never helped my acne too. So I always figured it had to be being caused by something else. Once I joined this site for Accutane support, I noticed a lot of girl who had acne return after Accutane were all going on Spirolactone and staying clear with that. So that was my back up plan. Once my acne cropped back up I ran to my OBGYN and asked for Spirolactone which she was happy to prescribe. It's kept me clear for 15 months now. I wish I would have gone that route before Accutane.

The topic I was referring to is actually on this site, here is link to the topic. Lots of reading...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/295030-repairing-the-long-term-damage-from-accutane/page-197#entry3394949

Start from page one and read what you can. Be prepared if Accutane is really something you want to take, this topic will probably scare you away from it.

Thats good that you managed to find something. Do Spirolactone work for guys aswell?

Yeah i read some of those posts, i gotta say that i really don't wanna take accutane now.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2014 4:23 pm

The topic I was referring to is actually on this site, here is link to the topic. Lots of reading... http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/295030-repairing-the-long-term-damage-from-accutane/page-197#entry3394949

Thats good that you managed to find something. Do Spirolactone work for guys aswell?

Yeah i read some of those posts, i gotta say that i really don't wanna take accutane now.

Spiro is not safe for men to take since it effects testosterone. Here is a link to very informative info on hormones and acne.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/330164-the-big-hormone-post-for-both-men-and-women/