Notifications
Clear all

How Do I Get Rid Of Keloid Acne Scars On My Chest?

MemberMember
(@keloid)

Posted : 08/20/2014 8:27 pm

I'm currently a 19 year old boy.

Around 3 years ago, I had a very severe acne breakout on my chest. There were so many pimples on my chest that I couldn't even count or even stand in the shower. I bled very often on my chest. Then as time went by, the acne started to die. However, after the acne was dead, unluckily, there was some "undead acne" that seemed to stay or perhaps grow on my chest. I thought those scars would go away but they never seemed to.

I know I've had terrible acne issues and I've had lots of acne consistently from 2009-2013 in my other areas such as face and back. From July 2013 to March 2014, I took a medication called "Accutane" and all of the acne was virtually eradicated. There was absolutely nothing left and the breakouts never came back. However, that medication wasn't effective to my chest scars.

Later on at around December 2013, my dermatologist doctor examined the scars and those were actually Keloid scars. Every month, he would inject me "Kenalog". It did sting of course, it hurts a lot more than a needle to the arm or a blood work. Well, every month up towards now, I have taken the injection. Although I've seen better progress than the Accutane, the worst of the scars seemed to survive big time. I also looked my entire chest and noticed that there was not a single living acne there. All of them are scars from the past.

Here is a picture of what my chest looks like today: post-417564-0-02437500-1408584453.jpg

So my question is, is there another way to get rid of these scars besides monthly injections? Are there any remedies that would work as effective? As you notice the middle line seems to stay.

MemberMember
(@tampa813)

Posted : 08/20/2014 9:41 pm

I ended up using a prescription scar cream to help treat my acne scars and red marks that were left over. Give me a message if you want more information.

Good luck & good health!

MemberMember
(@daniel777)

Posted : 08/22/2014 6:17 am

Hi Keloid,

I feel like we are one in the same person. I'm 19 and took accutane literally the same time period as you. However, I only had acne on my chest and I was also left with a bunch of keloids which I absolutely hate. I would do anything to get rid of them. Every so often I try to find answers to getting rid of these keloids. Recently, I've been trying Hiruscar, I'll tell you how it goes. I'm not so keen on steroid injections since there's so many varying results. I wish there was a sure certain way to get rid of these :(

MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 05/30/2015 1:43 am

Hi Keloid, I too am suffering from keloid scar on my chest and few on my neck. I've been getting keep log injections and I've seen some improvements. I'm told by my dermatologist that my scars will flatten out and the redness will go away. I'll be left with shiny spots and I hope her prognosticate is right. Anyways how are you doing, any progress with treating the scsrs?

MemberMember
(@frasier)

Posted : 05/30/2015 5:43 pm

I did cortisone injections on my keloids and that flattened them. The scars are still there, but much better.

MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 06/05/2015 4:01 pm

@frasier I'm glad to hear that you've seen results. How are you dealing with the scars even if they are still there? Are you still going in to get injections? I've been getting cortisone injections for about 6 months and i have seen tiny improvements nothing crazy for a span of 6 months. I feel like if this is the speed of progress ill be getting these injections for over 2 years to have them flatten out which is absurd.

MemberMember
(@sour-grapes)

Posted : 06/07/2015 1:48 am

I have heard some success stories about treating keloids with needling(dermarolling) and copper peptides. Be EXTREMELY careful if you decide to try it, for example try to gently needle just a small 1cm2 area (and use peptides on that bit of skin) for a few months to make sure it doesn't make it worse. Other than that I am afraid steroid injections and silicone sheets are your best bet.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 06/08/2015 7:46 am

This is old, but a lot of people seem to struggle with this.

I'm not sure what strength kenalog your doctor is using, but it might be time to increase the strength. Kenalog 40 is the strongest concentration available. It would be wise to work up to that concentration since you don't want to overcorrect and cause dents, which is a well known complication of too much kenalog. What I suggest is to ask your doctor to add a compound called 5-FU to the Kenalog. The 5-FU is a compound that actually halts the formation of scar tissue. The Kenalog essentially melts the scar tissue, and the 5-FU prevents it from recurring.

MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 06/19/2015 3:44 am

@blahblah82 I believe we've been going at 10 mg concentration for my chest and less for my neck area. I've asked my derm. if she would up the concentration but she refuses and constantly says it'll cause atrophy and she states that it'll fill back up, I'm assuming to how the raised scar was before atrophy?

I'll mention the 5-fu I've read about it but I've been reluctant to say anything to her because I always ask question after question and I don't wanna overwhelm her.

@SourGrapes yeah thanks for the suggestion. This is the first time hearing of the dermarolling and copper peptide method. I'll look into but I'm done with the "science experiments" to treat my acne/scars. I'm acne free again thanks to ACCUTANE the only major issue I've got are these keloid scars :[

MemberMember
(@anlo7)

Posted : 07/05/2015 7:06 pm

Update:Went to my derm appointment and talked to her about raising the concentration and i mentioned the 5-fu. She said that 5-fu is a chemotherapy drug. Hearing it was a chemo-drug I quickly refused but she said that they don't handle 5'fu at the current clinic. I think she's very reluctant on upping the concentration of the kenalog. I did notice some improvements this time around and hopefully shell agree to raising the concentration a bit next appointment.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 07/06/2015 12:00 pm

I think your doctor is being very conservative and overly cautious. Yes 5-FU is a chemotherapy drug, but in the concentrations used for scarring it's not going to harm you systemically (meaning throughout your whole body). Most doctors who are knowledgeable about this know that a combo of kenalog and 5-FU is pretty effective at flattening resistant keloid scars. The fact that she says the clinic doesn't handle 5-FU indicates that she is not familiar with it. Do some googling on it, and you'll see that it has good research behind it. The thing is when you mix the 5-FU with kenalog, it actually means you don't have to use too much kenalog and so you avoid the atrophy risks.

You shouldn't have to feel like you are bothering her. It's your skin. Maybe you should check out other doctors and call and email pics beforehand to know for sure if they offer this combo injection. Saves you from wasting your time.

AnLo7 liked