Notifications
Clear all

Wedding Approaching...when Should I Start My Accutane Course?

MemberMember
(@dreamcandy9)

Posted : 08/18/2014 4:04 pm

Hi everyone! This is my first post here as I prepare for my Accutane journey to really begin next week. Of course...it all depends on that price tag once I get the Rx filled. If the number that the pharmacist tells me is too high, then my journey will end there. So, I have my fingers crossed because I have tried EVERYTHING and this 30-day window between my first derm visit and my 2nd visit to pick up the Rx, my acne seems to have gotten so much worse and I'm just ready to be on the road to clear skin once and for all!! My question for all of you is, I am scheduled for the blood work next Monday and then my visit (where I'd get the Rx!) is next Wed. I would officially start taking Accutane that day (Aug. 27th). My wedding is October 12, so 6-1/2 weeks into treatment. What should I expect my sin to look like at that point during treatment? Should I wait to start until after the wedding?? Every woman wants to look amazing on her wedding day and I need to know if I am going to be battling the "worse before it gets better" stuff on my wedding day. Any advice/experiences you can share are much appreciated! I'm looking forward to sharing in on everyone's progress!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/18/2014 4:20 pm

Hi everyone! This is my first post here as I prepare for my Accutane journey to really begin next week. Of course...it all depends on that price tag once I get the Rx filled. If the number that the pharmacist tells me is too high, then my journey will end there. So, I have my fingers crossed because I have tried EVERYTHING and this 30-day window between my first derm visit and my 2nd visit to pick up the Rx, my acne seems to have gotten so much worse and I'm just ready to be on the road to clear skin once and for all!! My question for all of you is, I am scheduled for the blood work next Monday and then my visit (where I'd get the Rx!) is next Wed. I would officially start taking Accutane that day (Aug. 27th). My wedding is October 12, so 6-1/2 weeks into treatment. What should I expect my sin to look like at that point during treatment? Should I wait to start until after the wedding?? Every woman wants to look amazing on her wedding day and I need to know if I am going to be battling the "worse before it gets better" stuff on my wedding day. Any advice/experiences you can share are much appreciated! I'm looking forward to sharing in on everyone's progress! smile.png

This is a tough one to answer. For me my Accutane course went like this.

Month 1. My skin stayed in the same condition it was in prior to Accutane

Month 2. White heads all over my face. On top of my usual acne. I could look in the mirror every 5 minutes and see new white heads. They were cropping up everywhere that whole month.

Month 3. I broke out like crazy with cysts and very painful deep acne.

Month 4. My skin started to clear but I would still get new acne.

Month 5. Finally my face was clear with a zit popping up here and there

Month 6. All acne stopped stayed on till month 7 because my derm wanted me on medication until I was acne free for a month.

Some people break out real bad about a month in and clear around month 3 or 4. Some people like me battle acne until near the end of our courses. During my course I was real close with a group of ladies and a few men and we talked on a daily basis and compared our courses, one thing I can say we all had bad skin from month 2 - 4. With that said, if I were in your shoes I would wait to start until after your wedding. This is my opinion. Take a look at the Accutane forums on here and follow peoples logs and you can get a really good idea of how Accutane works and how long it takes on average for people to clear. I think on your timeline your mentioning here that your skin at that point will be pushing out all the acne underneath that is was forming prior to starting your course.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/18/2014 4:59 pm

I would say to pick up your prescription but wait till AFTER wedding and honeymoon. The IB is different for everyone but can be quite bad.

Congrats!!!

MemberMember
(@guzzi33)

Posted : 08/18/2014 9:26 pm

Do you know what your dosage will be? If you are on a lower dose, you may not experience much of an initial break out.

I was on 20mg a day and never got an IB.

Everyone is different though.

How bad is your acne? Will a makeup artist be able to do the trick?

MemberMember
(@dreamcandy9)

Posted : 08/20/2014 12:03 pm

Thanks guys for your replies! A miracle makeup artist perhaps and I am definitely planning on shelling out whatever I have to to for a professional makeup artist. After reading alot of experiences with side effects and knowing how drastic of a process Accutane is, I think I will, in fact, wait until after but I still have to find a way to combat the acne now!!! It has not been this bad in years and I think a lot has to do with the office building we moved into in the spring...there is no circulating air and that has always been a huge acne trigger for me. I read about someone taking Yaz for a short-term solution......anyone have experience with it? I feel like all I can think of off the top of my head, is the infomercials for lawsuits against the makers. I guess I'll have to be ok with not completely clearing the acne just yet so if you have any other ideas to cope short-term and help me be as clear as possible on my wedding day, I'd love to hear them!!!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/20/2014 5:34 pm

Anytime of hormonal means will take time to work if they work so i wouldn't recommend you venture down that route. What about The Regimen? How bad is your acne? Pics?