Notifications
Clear all

Strange Bumps On Forehead

MemberMember
(@mayraa626)

Posted : 08/16/2014 5:11 pm

I have been getting these strange bumps on my forehead, however they aren't typical looking pimples. I can really only see them if I look really closely and in a certain light. It looks like there's a little dot in the middle and the skin around it is slightly raised and they're flesh colored. They are also centered in the middle of my forehead near my eyebrows. I never get big pimples that grow a head and pop, I will usually get small bumps that aren't that noticeable unless I pick at them (bad habit I know). Also another thing is that I began getting these when I was on birth control I don't know if that has anything to do with it or if it's just coincidence, but since I stopped I've seen a reduction in these but there are still some there that never seem to go away.

I wash my face with cetaphil, use bp and I was using cerave moisturizer but have stopped using it to see if maybe it has been contributing to this. If anyone know what this might be or has had this please let me know, I have no idea what it is and it's not serious enough to go to the dermatologist for.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 08/16/2014 9:29 pm

Yeah i would like to know if stopping the cerave helps :) give us and update in a few days!

Also dont overload on the BP- sometimes i find applying too much to the skin can the opposite of what you want!

Good luck bud!

MemberMember
(@dreamerhigh)

Posted : 08/17/2014 12:40 am

I think they might just be slightly inflamed/congested pore maybe try adding a toner to your regimen. Toner "shrinks pores" it may be from the birth control so depending on how long you have been off it maybe it will get better as your hormones rebalance?

MemberMember
(@mayraa626)

Posted : 08/19/2014 8:01 pm

Okay so I've added adapalene .1% gel at night. I've used it before along with bp+clindamycin in the morning and I had pretty much perfect skin. I stopped using it and my skin was still pretty clear for like a good year. Recently my skin has been problematic which I'm sure has to do with birth control and coming off of it, it actually started getting worse when I was taking them. So I decided to start using adapalene again along with bp+clindamycin to see if I could go back to the way my skin was. I've just added adapalene at night for the past week and it has been making my skin so oily and my skin isn't looking so great but I'm only on the second week so this means I'm probably purging. Anyways it's been so long since I've used it I really hope it works. Oh and for moisturizer I've only been using aveeno positively radiant spf 15 in the morning and nothing at night because my skin isn't dried out or anything.

MemberMember
(@brianneg)

Posted : 08/20/2014 8:47 pm

Hi Mayraa626,

What you described sounds like sebaceous hyperplasia. It's an overgrowth of sebaceous glands. If they look donut shaped and flesh colored, that would be my educated guess. If so, they cannot be extracted and will likely not go away with product use. Most of the time it requires removal that only a dermatologist can perform. They aren't harmful or dangerous or anything, so no need to worry. But if they still have not gone away after a week or two, it may require going to your dermatologist to get them taken care of.

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 08/21/2014 9:16 am

I think I have the same thing. It started on my forehead, and then kind of spread to the rest of my face. I haven't been able to clear it with acne products, but using a glycolic acid toner did help some.

At times I think it is actually folliculitis, but I'm not sure because my derm thinks it's just acne. It is not red and it's like a single clogged pore in EVERY pore. It sucks. Please let me know if you get any advice on this. Do you have really dry skin? I read that could be a sign on folliculitis.

MemberMember
(@brianneg)

Posted : 08/21/2014 9:31 am

I think I have the same thing. It started on my forehead, and then kind of spread to the rest of my face. I haven't been able to clear it with acne products, but using a glycolic acid toner did help some.

At times I think it is actually folliculitis, but I'm not sure because my derm thinks it's just acne. It is not red and it's like a single clogged pore in EVERY pore. It sucks. Please let me know if you get any advice on this. Do you have really dry skin? I read that could be a sign on folliculitis.

If there is no reddness, pus or infection, I doubt it's folliculitis. It's possible that it's psuedofolliculitis, which is similar, but without inflammation or infection. What you described just sounds like very congested skin however. Do the spots form a head like a pimple? Do you have a photo?

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 08/21/2014 12:10 pm

If there is no reddness, pus or infection, I doubt it's folliculitis. It's possible that it's psuedofolliculitis, which is similar, but without inflammation or infection. What you described just sounds like very congested skin however. Do the spots form a head like a pimple? Do you have a photo?

Thanks so much for responding! This is driving me nuts.

They don't really form a head. The bumps are mainly just small, flesh colored, and they are everywhere!! Toner helps, but nothing eliminates them. My skin is already really dry, so I don't get how I have acne when I have basically no oil.

Do you have any advice on how to make my skin less congested? I don't use a lot of products (only ones prescribed by my derm) and I don't wear much makeup. I have good diet and exercise for the most part.

MemberMember
(@brianneg)

Posted : 08/21/2014 12:25 pm

Do you have any advice on how to make my skin less congested? I don't use a lot of products (only ones prescribed by my derm) and I don't wear much makeup. I have good diet and exercise for the most part.

Could you post a photo of what the spots look like?

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 08/21/2014 5:21 pm

Ok I will try to take a photo when I take my makeup off tonight or tomorrow morning.

Like others have said, the bumps are kind of hard to see and are visible in certain lighting. They are still bothersome because they give my skin a rough texture and I can tell it's congested.

MemberMember
(@savannahclarke)

Posted : 08/23/2014 3:48 am

Can you feel the bumps?

MemberMember
(@mayraa626)

Posted : 08/23/2014 10:24 am

An update: I looked up pictures of sabaceous hyperplasia and I'm not quite sure it's that. Mine are a lot smaller and much flatter. They also seem to be going away I have a habit of picking them which I think makes them stick around a lot longer. I've still been using the adapalene and I'm using benzamycin in the morning. The rest of my skin is doing really good. I really think this is hormonal because since I've started getting them they've only really come up around my period and the end of it then they clear up and they come back all over again.

MemberMember
(@brianneg)

Posted : 08/23/2014 6:54 pm

Ah, yes. If they come and go it's not likely sebaceous hyperplasia. May just be skin congestion. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@bizz)

Posted : 08/23/2014 10:19 pm

Acne milia, maybe? I have it too.