Notifications
Clear all

Is My Acne Enough To Get Me Accutane Prescribed

MemberMember
(@michellemae)

Posted : 08/16/2014 2:59 am

A little background I've always had clear skin till I hit 21 and started using makeup then I develop mild breakout that later got worse then cleared after numerous trial and error products. Then age 23 came summer my face blew up over night and Im not joking. I tried everything I was so obsessed with treatment using pro active, drug store washes from

neutrogena, cetaphil, avenno, dove, to getting a facial, microdermabrasion, extractions, to clyndamycin topical, doxycycline oral antibiotics, birth control pill until I gave up and hid from the world for three months till i found the regimen which worked to a certain extent it cleared me but left me with hi

horrible dark marks that slowly turned into crater on my left cheek. i didnt have bumps but i had pigmentation and deep scars the constant battle of trying to stay clear for an entire year I thought I was done breaking out and just needed to work on my scars so I went to my dermatologist who gave me retina A whicg lasted from april 2014 till july 2014 and it made me get all these little bumps that never subsided sure enough my stress levels were high, i had lack of sleep, drank here and there abd in a span of one week my face blew up in august again like it was yesterday. i thought to myself back to square one picking my acb(e leaving dark marks and possibly craters im just so tired of the constant battle of trying to stay clear and scars. i now put foundation and it looks even more horrible i cake this mask that isnt hiding anything and im just tired of looking at myself in the mirror thinking im ugly and nagging and talking to everyone closest to me about my acne. there is more to me then my acne but i just need to know last resort if its bad enough i can get accutane? co

post-218374-0-68258500-1408175743_thumb.

post-218374-0-45353300-1408175760_thumb.

post-218374-0-33483800-1408175774_thumb.

post-218374-0-68258500-1408175743_thumb.

post-218374-0-45353300-1408175760_thumb.

post-218374-0-33483800-1408175774_thumb.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/16/2014 5:04 am

If it's deep, persistent and recurrent, yes a derm should give you the option for accutane.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/16/2014 6:22 am

Definitely looks cystic at some points. Accutane does look like an option. Besides topicals, what else have you tried?

diet

hormonal means

ETC

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/16/2014 6:36 am

in the US most derms will require that you have 'failed' conventional treatment, which includes topicals (clindamycin, bp, etc...) with antibiotics....three treatments is what my derm used - then we moved to accutane.

It's no walk in the park though, so do try a lot of things before you go there- don't let that be your first prescribed drug.

My acne was similar to yours, and for ME (may not be for you, we are all different with different triggers) dairy and wheat were the culprits....I journaled everything I ate and gave those 2 things up, one at a time, for 30 days. Accutane didn't work for me, so I had to find my triggers the hard way.

Good luck to you, tell us more about your topical routine now.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 08/17/2014 5:25 am

Yes a derm would give you accutane for that. I would consider trying a few key things first like probiotics, cutting out dairy etc. but if you get on accutane it should clear that right up.

MemberMember
(@emilylu)

Posted : 08/21/2014 4:01 pm

Let me start off by saying.. You are so beautiful!!!

My acne looked just like that! Some cysts, along with hundreds of clogged pores and the occasional whitehead.

I tried everything...and I mean everything. Face washes, pills, antibiotics, spiro...EVERYTHING. My derm diagnosed me with treatment resistant acne && finally mentioned accutane. After 3-4 months of contemplating, I finally bit the bullet and started. I am now on my third week.. and my skin looks so much better!!! My lips are so unbelievably dry and chapped.. but it's a small price to pay to get rid of persistent cystic acne.

Anyways, so if you've tried many things, you're definitely a candidate for accutane. It can't hurt to make an appt and ask him!! I'd do it sooner than later since it takes 30 days to get started on the drug. You need two negative pregnancy tests in the course of 30 days, and also be on two forms of BC.

GOOD LUCK!!!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/21/2014 10:07 pm

Yes, your acne would warrant Accutane. What have you tried in the past? Like the other comment above, you do need to try other treatments first like antibiotics and topicals. If you haven't tried these other treatments I recommend doing that first. Accutane is a serious and scary drug, lots of potential side effects.

I did take Accutane 2 years ago and it was tough on my body! Cleared my acne. It was just temporary though :(

Three months post Accutane I started breaking out again, now I am clear with Spirolactone and have been for 15 months.

Have you had your hormones tested before? Judging by the location of your acne, it could be hormonally caused. If that is the case Accutane will not keep you clear once your course is over. I would seriously consider getting them tested before jumping on the tane train.

If you find out your acne is hormonal and you still want to take Accutane, go ahead with it, but also start taking spiro at the same time. That way you'll have a treatment to fall back on and maintain that clear skin Accutane will help you achive.

MemberMember
(@solveig99)

Posted : 08/24/2014 12:16 pm

Have you tried birth control? If you have hormonal acne this may help, it worked wonders on me, but if you have cystic accutane may be the best solution. Acne is such an emotional thing, and I hope you get the treatment that is best for you.