Notifications
Clear all

Wish Me Luck

MemberMember
(@badwolf93)

Posted : 08/15/2014 12:33 am

Okay, so this is my first post on here. I've had issues with acne since I was around 12 or so. I used to develop these really big painful ones all over my nose. I ended up being prescribed birth control for that by my doctor when I was 14 or so. That really seemed to calm them down a lot. I never was completely clear as I always got a couple every once in a while, but I was happy. It was good enough for me at that point.

Time went on and I ended up quitting the pill last year in June 2013 when I was 19. Everything seemed fine at first so I thought that maybe I didn't need it anymore. I had gotten tired of taking it anyways and at that point it was causing issues with my emotions so I decided to quit.

A couple of months later, I would say around September when I turned 20, I made the mistake of trying a make up primer that didn't sit well with my face. All hell broke loose. My face broke out everywhere. Especially around my cheeks. I've tried everything since then to go calm my face down but nothing worked.

Underneath all my makeup I was red and swollen and everything hurt. I didn't feel like anything was working, which is why last month I decided to talk to my doctor about putting me back on the pill and referring me to a Dermatologist.

So,as of July 2014 I am currently back on the birth control pill. Hopefully it works again this time.

My first appointment with the dermatologist was on August 11. They prescribed me Clindamycin Phosphate, Differin 3%, and Doxycycline.

I had an allergic reaction to the Doxy so they decide to prescribe me Bactrim instead. I'm still waiting to receive that prescription.

As of right now my daily schedule includes:

*Morning:

1) washing my face with Neutrogena Acne Soap

2) Applying a Witch Hazel Toner

3) Applying the Clindamycin

4) And applying a moisturizer sold by the Dermatologist.

My night time ritual is about the same the only difference is step 3. Instead of the Clindamycin, I put on the Differin.

So that's it. Hopefully I'll start seeing results within a couple of weeks.

Wish me luck

MemberMember
(@badwolf93)

Posted : 08/24/2014 11:56 pm

Update:

It's only been about a week/week and a half since I first started my dermatologist prescribed regimen and I do feel like I am seeing a difference.

I did have an initial breakout for the first couple of days that I'm still getting over in some areas. First I broke out on my chin and that's slowly healing. I only have a couple of spots here and there.

The one part of my breakout I really did hate was that it made me get these really huge pimples on my nose which I haven't gotten since I was 12. I guess that was just my skin purging. Those have almost healed completely so that's nice.

Apart from scaring and a couple of pimples on my chin, most of the acne I had is gone. My skin just looks so much worse than it is because of the scarring. Which doesn't bother me much since it's fairly easy enough to cover with the right makeup.

I have confidence that as time goes on I'll be completely clear. I just hope this is the worst of the I and that it's just improvement from now on. Maybe when I notice a big noticeable difference I'll be brave enough to post some pictures.

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 08/25/2014 4:01 am

I was prescribed the same thing except I got tretinoin instead of differin; i'm excited to how things work out for you because I've had pretty good results!

MemberMember
(@elfantasma)

Posted : 08/25/2014 4:09 am

Good luck - I've started using a combination product called Epiduo 11 days ago. It's 0,1 % adapalene (retinoid) and 2,5 % BP. I had a initial breakout as well after about a week, but things seems to be calming down now.

MemberMember
(@badwolf93)

Posted : 08/31/2014 2:28 pm

I was prescribed the same thing except I got tretinoin instead of differin; i'm excited to how things work out for you because I've had pretty good results!

Thanks for the support. How long ago did you start the tretinoin?

Good luck - I've started using a combination product called Epiduo 11 days ago. It's 0,1 % adapalene (retinoid) and 2,5 % BP. I had a initial breakout as well after about a week, but things seems to be calming down now.

I seem a little better this week so that's making me happy. Hopefully the worst is done and I'll see improvements as the months go on. We just have to be patient.

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 09/03/2014 3:49 am

I've had the tretinoin for 7 years.

MemberMember
(@badwolf93)

Posted : 09/04/2014 10:37 pm

Update 2:

I'm a little frustrated this week. My left side has seemed to cleared up nicely. I only have acne scars and makeup takes care of covering that up easily..... But as for the right side of my face, it's not so great. I've broken out all over my chin and even though they're not super huge they're noticeable and they do hurt quite a bit. I'm also getting a couple on my forehead on my eyebrows which never used to happen. My right cheek which was pretty clear last week seems to have suffered too.

This kinda sucks cause just as I see some improvement things get worse. And it's only ever on my right side.

Does anyone know why this might be?

Anyways I have my second dermatologist appointment on Monday the 8th of September, so let's see how that goes.

Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone. Battling acne is very difficult and a lot of people don't understand that its both a physical and emotional struggle. I've read a lot of recent posts about people feeling down because of their acne and because of what people have said regarding their acne. I just wanted to remind everyone that EACH and EVERY one of you is beautiful, inside and out. We will all WIN this battle with acne. We just can't give up.

Goodnight everyone

MemberMember
(@badwolf93)

Posted : 09/19/2014 12:24 am

Update 3:

I went to the derm about a week and a half ago and I've seen major improvement since then. My skin was okay the day I went but I still had some acne around my chin area that honestly I was starting to think was never going to go away.

At the appointment I was told I had been approved for cortisone injections. To tell you the truth I was very skeptical at first and of course since I'm very scared of needles I was sort of reluctant to do it. But I am SO glad l did.

Literally, by the next morning every little bump I had on my chin or anywhere they had injected was either completely gone or was reduced to being almost non existent. For the first time in a very long time I felt amazing.

Everything has just been uphill from there. I still have scarring but I'm hoping that with time those will slowly fade too. In the past week I've only gotten maybe 2 or 3 pimples but they're gone within a day or 2 or 3.

It's gotten to the point where I don't feel the need to hide my face beneath liquid foundation anymore. I just put on a bit of powder foundation to cover up scars and I'm set. I still have a long way to go but I'm happy that the big huge painful pimples I used to get all over are gone.

I'm hoping to see more improvement on Monday when I go again to the derm. I have a chemical peel scheduled and I'm kind of nervous because I don't really know what to expect. I'm hoping it doesn't make me break out. I mean my birthday is that Friday so that would definitely be a no no lol.

Has anyone had either good or bad experiences with chemical peels?

MemberMember
(@ohhhhhhnooooooo)

Posted : 09/20/2014 9:22 pm

Update 2:

I'm a little frustrated this week. My left side has seemed to cleared up nicely. I only have acne scars and makeup takes care of covering that up easily..... But as for the right side of my face, it's not so great. I've broken out all over my chin and even though they're not super huge they're noticeable and they do hurt quite a bit. I'm also getting a couple on my forehead on my eyebrows which never used to happen. My right cheek which was pretty clear last week seems to have suffered too.

This kinda sucks cause just as I see some improvement things get worse. And it's only ever on my right side.

Does anyone know why this might be?

Anyways I have my second dermatologist appointment on Monday the 8th of September, so let's see how that goes.

Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone. Battling acne is very difficult and a lot of people don't understand that its both a physical and emotional struggle. I've read a lot of recent posts about people feeling down because of their acne and because of what people have said regarding their acne. I just wanted to remind everyone that EACH and EVERY one of you is beautiful, inside and out. We will all WIN this battle with acne. We just can't give up.

Goodnight everyone

How soon did you start seeing results?

only about a week or 2