Notifications
Clear all

Suggest Herbs/supplements? Probably Hormone Imbalance

MemberMember
(@quinnmorgendorffer)

Posted : 08/14/2014 10:09 pm

[moving this topic to the hormone section, sorry. not sure how to delete a post heh]

Hi! I have been following the diet & holistic forum for a bit and finally decided to sign up and maybe get some opinions on my situation.

i'm a 23 year old female and my sebum production is crazy. I have tons of blackheads a long my jaw which have recently started crawling up to my cheek & whiteheads on my neck. my chest and back are constantly clogged and there are never not cysts forming on my chin (one cyst comes to a head while a new one is already forming). My skin starts to clear up about a week before my period, stays clear during my cycle and then immediately returns to clogging up the day my period ends. My periods are also a bit irregular (for example this month i was 2 weeks early) and I have at least 8 hours of extremely painful cramps.

I am not currently on birth control and haven't been in years. I eat very well and have been on more restrictive diets in the past and my skin did not improve.

Currently my skin care routine is pretty improvised. I do a calcium bentonite clay mask with acv, peppermint, tea tree, and cucumber. sometimes I will do an oil cleanse with jojoba, small amount of castor, and sweet almond oil. tone with rose witchhazel. all of these things make my skin feel great but I cannot keep up with my sebum production.

a few years ago i visited a dermatologist who prescribed me doxycycline which I ceased taking pretty quickly and didn't take it religiously enough to note any changes. a year or so later I returned to the dermatologist and was prescribed spironolactone and had to stop taking it due to its severe side effects - 2 periods a month, my left breast got very swollen- ER doctor felt a cyst and sent me to have a mammogram, NOT fun.

I currently only take a multivitamin (Garden of Life women's raw with some probiotics) and i've been shopping around for a herbal remedy for hormone imbalances. I do believe my acne is due to an imbalance and I only assume it's androgen dominance but I would like some other opinions

Some supplements I am looking at:

Flax

Maca (kind of weary of the possible side effects)

Curcumin (unrelated to hormones/acne)

Chaste Tree

DIM

Sorry this is a lot of text, I would really appreciate some shared thoughts or experiences thanks

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/15/2014 9:17 am

Maca and chaste tree purportedly aid pituitary function so should help with any hormone issue. DIm helps remove excess and estrogen, but since your skin is better during your period, I would think that isn't your problem. . On the other hand, That an anti androgen drug caused you to have multiple periods is a clue and I think estrogen does that. Look for a chart on which hormones fluctuate when for a clue

I wouldn't try to do too much to alter hormones other than to help your body help itself with a good low glycemic diet, good sleep, avoiding xenoestrogens, etc.

Did you tell your doctors when you break out? And they weren't interested in any hormone tests?

MemberMember
(@quinnmorgendorffer)

Posted : 08/15/2014 9:44 pm

Maca and chaste tree purportedly aid pituitary function so should help with any hormone issue. DIm helps remove excess and estrogen, but since your skin is better during your period, I would think that isn't your problem. . On the other hand, That an anti androgen drug caused you to have multiple periods is a clue and I think estrogen does that. Look for a chart on which hormones fluctuate when for a clue

I wouldn't try to do too much to alter hormones other than to help your body help itself with a good low glycemic diet, good sleep, avoiding xenoestrogens, etc.

Did you tell your doctors when you break out? And they weren't interested in any hormone tests?

Everywhere I read says that DIM is and anti androgen and that some have actually had success with it as a replacement for spiro. The label doesn't say anything about being an anti androgen but it does say that it increases the level of favorable estrogens while reducing the bad ones.

I am just really confused about only having good skin on my period, so I am gonna try to get in to an endocrinologist to get a better understanding.

thanks for responding!

MemberMember
(@lookingforward)

Posted : 08/17/2014 3:59 pm

I know this is a pain, but I highly, highly recommend NOT self-prescribing herbal or natural over-the-counter products. Please, find a naturopath doctor in your area or an herbalist and follow their advice.

They can do check ups on you and make sure you are not having bad side effects or reactions. Asking people on the internet is fine and can be helpful, but some of the supplements you are considering can give you allergic reactions, dangerous side effects, or interact with other medications/supplements/substances.

Talk to someone who has studied this and works as a professional and who can keep an eye on you!

I had a bad reaction to chaste tree berry extract. I suppose it's not very common, but it made me extremely agitated almost to the point of mania. I could not sit still. It felt like I would explode if I was still. It was very uncomfortable. Chaste tree affects dopamine so this is a possible side effect. Luckily, I was aware enough that I realized what I was feeling was not normal and that it had been an increasing feeling of agitation over the course of taking chaste tree berry extract for 2 months. I stopped taking it and the agitation subsided.

Please, please, consult someone near you who can do check ups.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/18/2014 3:32 am

What LookingForward said. It's too big of a gamble and a waste of time and money to DIY this without professional assessment, guidance, monitoring.

I know this is a pain, but I highly, highly recommend NOT self-prescribing herbal or natural over-the-counter products. Please, find a naturopath doctor in your area or an herbalist and follow their advice.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/19/2014 5:53 pm

These are the ones I would recommend:

Saw palmetto: reduces DHT (dihydrotestosterone)

Stinging nettle: reduces DHT

Curcumin: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, improves glycemic control -- remember insulin/glucose are hormones, it is related to hormonal control

Vitamin D: prohormone necessary for basic health in all areas, skin included, many people are low/deficient

These are one I would not recommend for a first-timer. Not going to go into all the reasons. If you really care PM me.

Maca

DIM

Vitex

MemberMember
(@quinnmorgendorffer)

Posted : 08/20/2014 12:27 am

These are the ones I would recommend:

Saw palmetto: reduces DHT (dihydrotestosterone)

Stinging nettle: reduces DHT

Curcumin: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, improves glycemic control -- remember insulin/glucose are hormones, it is related to hormonal control

Vitamin D: prohormone necessary for basic health in all areas, skin included, many people are low/deficient

These are one I would not recommend for a first-timer. Not going to go into all the reasons. If you really care PM me.

Maca

DIM

Vitex

thanks for your response! I have taken the advice from this topic and your "how to treat hormonal acne" post is very very informative as well.

MemberMember
(@daisyfowler)

Posted : 04/08/2018 11:53 pm

I want to share my experience with you all here.i had miscarriage and gyn suggest me that it happened due to i haveharmonal imbalance then i had fertilemd.i am happy now and carrying now.