Notifications
Clear all

Overdosing On Vitamin A, Good Idea Or Nah

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/14/2014 10:08 am

accutane is somekinda form of vitamin A right?

if i take somewhat hightened doses of just vitamin A supplement would it have similar effects? any effect on acne?

would i have any of the bad sidefects than acutane has like skin drying out, scars, premature wrinkles n such?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/14/2014 4:04 pm

No to the overdosing.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/14/2014 10:13 pm

accutane is somekinda form of vitamin A right?

if i take somewhat hightened doses of just vitamin A supplement would it have similar effects? any effect on acne?

would i have any of the bad sidefects than acutane has like skin drying out, scars, premature wrinkles n such?

Vitamin A is a group of unsaturated nutritional organic compounds, that includes retinol, retinal, retinoic acid, and several provitamin A carotenoids such as beta-carotene.

Accutane is 13-cis retinoic acid. Although vitamin A does contain some retinoic acid, it's not very much, and I don't think it's even the same retinoic acid as Accutane. (From what I remember, Accutane is a DERIVATIVE of vitamin A so the retinoic acid is a different form).

There were some reports in the 70s and 80s of doctors recommending high doses of vitamin A as a "poor man's Accutane", but no doctor would ever recommend that now.

The Upper Limit of vitamin A set by the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences is 10,000 IU per day.

The long and short of it is, while vitamin A can be beneficial for skin health, you're not going to get an Accutane-like effect even if you overdose, because they're not the same thing. Every once in a while someone will post and say that they took 50,000 IU a day or something ridiculous and it cleared them, but I wouldn't risk it.

MemberMember
(@13-going-on-30)

Posted : 08/14/2014 10:27 pm

Please do not do that doesn't sound like a good idea I wouldn't risk it

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/15/2014 6:29 am

The long and short of it is, while vitamin A can be beneficial for skin health, you're not going to get an Accutane-like effect even if you overdose, because they're not the same thing. Every once in a while someone will post and say that they took 50,000 IU a day or something ridiculous and it cleared them, but I wouldn't risk it.

yea but what happens? what about drying skin, scars, premature wrinkles? r those possible with vit A sideffects too?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/16/2014 12:24 am

yea but what happens? what about drying skin, scars, premature wrinkles? r those possible with vit A sideffects too?

Not enough people have taken toxic doses of vitamin A capsules to say if they cause those side effects.

I personally see a small drying effect on my skin when I take 8,000 IU a day consistently.

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/16/2014 11:23 pm

Not enough people have taken toxic doses of vitamin A capsules to say if they cause those side effects.

I personally see a small drying effect on my skin when I take 8,000 IU a day consistently.

so does this help with acne? hormonal acne? how long did u take this vitamin nd such dose?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/17/2014 12:43 pm

Bad idea. I second green gables. You will not get the same effects.

Why not just go on Accutane if you are looking for Accutane results?

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/17/2014 6:31 pm

hey can u get poisoning of it like next day? bcs idk wtf n y bt i was incredibly ill all today. feels like ebola man. no kiding tho, i was dying n i have no idea why??

i took like 8 drops of ~1700 ug early this morning on empty stomach (i thought im just gonna do it 1 time for a temp boost, see wht happens n then do slower later)

??

was drinking only green tea n cup of epsom salts today n even then head feels like mashed potatos n i wont coment on other bt..ekhem..epsom salts k

im reluctant of tane bcs of its terryfing sideffects ofc

i just wanna tane effect without sideffects

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 08/18/2014 8:15 am

The rate limiting step is the enzyme that converts vitamin A into its derivatives. Overdosing on A will simply allow the vitamin to accumulate in your tissues and possibly lead to some unwanted side effects. Accutane gets around the enzyme issue by being a downstream non rate-limiting metabolite.

There is no such thing as accutane without the side effects.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/18/2014 11:55 am

The rate limiting step is the enzyme that converts vitamin A into its derivatives. Overdosing on A will simply allow the vitamin to accumulate in your tissues and possibly lead to some unwanted side effects. Accutane gets around the enzyme issue by being a downstream non rate-limiting metabolite.

There is no such thing as accutane without the side effects.

But there are other things that affect the same factors that accutane does. FOX01, PPARs, RARs, etc. I've been thinking of gathering them together in one article. They've been mentioned in some of the threads filled with research, including my own. I think I have a couple examples in the linoleic acid thread. Or the ZAG enzyme from when I attempted to find evidence for Cordain's claims about that.

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/20/2014 1:44 pm

I certainly wouldn't advise it, nor would I advise taking any vitamin supplements, your vitamins should be coming from your diet in my opinion. If you are thinking about trying it despite warnings against, atleast read be careful of the dosage, as it can eventually lead to liver cirrhosis:

Liver damage caused by therapeutic vitamin A administration - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2019375

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/20/2014 8:39 pm

quick question:

can u put vit A oil on ur face??

1 drop contains 1720 ug or retinyl

MemberMember
(@13-going-on-30)

Posted : 08/23/2014 8:45 pm

Have u tried retin a? It's a form of vitamin a I get it prescription and discounted I only pay 40 for mine.but it will break u out I stopped it did not like the effect it was giving me but alot of ppl swear by this.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/23/2014 9:53 pm

quick question:

can u put vit A oil on ur face??

1 drop contains 1720 ug or retinyl

Rather than do that why don't you just use retin a ?

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/23/2014 10:27 pm

i hv no idea where to get it? i dont hv money right now either but i do hv vit a drops, so whts the big difference?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2014 12:15 pm

You get retin a from your dermatologist or you can even get retinol products over the counter. If you can I would get retin a though.

You want something that is meant for your skin. I'm not sure what type of vitamin a you have to be able to tell you what the differnce between that and retin a are. What are the ingredients in your vitamin a serum.

Do you not have a dermatologist?

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/24/2014 2:00 pm

ah i dnt want to go to derm..its also additional money which i rly rly dont hv right now...=_= im just wondering if i can put this vit a oil tht i hv in use some more use thts all..
i been once bt rly i dnt know anything more useless tht couldve happen..
they rly dunno a shit, i thought they gonna take somekind of my skins samples or somekinda test at least bt all she did was look at my face under lamp nd prescribe whatever cream. thts it.
it is not serum its oil for internal use, it is retinyl?
MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2014 3:11 pm

ah i dnt want to go to derm..its also additional money which i rly rly dont hv right now...=_= im just wondering if i can put this vit a oil tht i hv in use some more use thts all..

i been once bt rly i dnt know anything more useless tht couldve happen..

they rly dunno a shit, i thought they gonna take somekind of my skins samples or somekinda test at least bt all she did was look at my face under lamp nd prescribe whatever cream. thts it.

it is not serum its oil for internal use, it is retinyl?

Is it Retinyl Palmitate? When I google that, this is what I find.

Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) is a skin and hair conditioning agent. It reduces flaking and restores suppleness, thus improving the appearance of dry and damaged skin.It is also an effective antioxidant: it improves collagen production and plumps skin, helping smooth out fine lines. Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) also enhances the appearance and feel of hair: it increases suppleness, sheen and body. In addition, it improves the texture of hair that has been physically or chemically damaged.

Doesn't sound like it will help your acne at all. If your not willing to see a dermatologist or spend any money I'm not sure how much help you are going to be able to get. Considering most treatments are going to require money spent on products to treat acne or food to change your diet or topicals or antibiotics which you'll need to see a dermatologist for. It's unlikely your going to have things just sitting around the house to treat your acne.

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/24/2014 5:04 pm

i dnt need it for acne but for damage it has done like some scarring, bad texture and pigmentation
k thnx i think ill experiment a little..