Notifications
Clear all

List Of Things Tried And Failed To Get Rid Of Acne Before I Start Roaccutane!

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/13/2014 12:39 pm

Just though it may be worth listing past treatments that have not worked or not!

Starting with what has worked intermittently:

Dermalogoica, gentle skin wash and active moist- ok between out breaks.

Microdermabrasion-: fabulous but expensive

Skin peel: as above.

Quinoderm face wash, discontinued:-( and moisturise with aloe Vera organic

Gel mixed with a few drops of tea tree oil, works intermittently depending

On the time of the month.

What has not worked:

Minoxycycline

Eurythromycin

Augmentin

Zinert

Pan oxyl

Quinoderm cream

Skin care brands- tried and failed:

La Roche possay- acne range

Clinique- acne range

Clarins- multi active

Dermalogoica- anti bac.

Vitamins taken

Evening primrose- fail

Pantothenic acid- fail

Vitamin d- ok

Skin hair and nails- ok

Vitamin c 3,000 mg- ok

Probiotic acidophilus- ok

L-cystine - unsure

Green tea- unsure

Zinc with copper- ok

I eat a varied diet, don't over indulge, don't drink alcohol. I do smoke and stopped for six month and skin did not improve! Normal weight.

Use clean flannel per day and pillow case!

Anyone tried anything different??

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/14/2014 7:41 am

omega 3: like it might be necessary and good for u for wtv reasons but is absolutely useless for acne (~2,5 months used)

D3: same

evening primrose: dont work

b vitamins: i dnt remember precicely bt if they worked i wouldnt be here i guess (~2-3months)

aloe vera: at first kinda worked then started to be irritating and just no

honey masks: improvs redness a bit bt i doubt abt acne (hadnt strict regimen abt it tho)

salycic acid: 100% useless

clean & clear mud mask: cleanses well n is refreshing bt doesnt heal acne

clean & clear cleanser: i just use it to remove dirt n disinfect picked spots bt its also useless for preventing/treating acne

any other cleansers, toners or masks: uuuseeleeesss

face washes: same

skinoren: it felt gross and didnt work

zinc cream: is good for emergency redness removal (like after picking. apply overnight somewhat thick layer), can help as a spot treatment to reduce large bumps in size bt not remove them completely

cant remember all atm bt i think those r like the most important/popular ones from wht ive had..

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/16/2014 10:40 am

Quinoderm face wash works for me and luckily my local Tesco stocks this!! This is all that works. Bring on roaccutane in September!

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/16/2014 12:30 pm

Things i have tried in order:

OTC Products:

Neutrogena Facial Gel Wash w/ Salycic acid ( a total scam,made my skin dry and 20 minutes after i was mega oily)

Clean & Clear 2% Salycic acid toner ( another scam,the alcohol in it made my skin super dry,and 20 mins after it was a oily mess)

Clean & Clear Salycic acid scrub Blackhead Erasing ( did nothing)

Clean & Clear Salycic acid spot treatment (did nothing or even helped at all)

Avon Dead skin and anti acne scrub (did nothing,it was pure menthol lies)

Sulphur soap (did nothing)

Salycic acid mask (did nothing)

Differin (made my acne x100 worse,and caused permanent super oily skin)

Topical Erythromycin (kinda worked while being used,but dried out my skin badly,and after some time it was oily again)

Benzoyl Peroxide 5% (completely awful,i had a allergic reaction to it,my skin was red,inflamed,itchy,puffy. After two days of quitting,acne reappeared even worse and hyper pigmentation was incredible worse)

After those,i have been offered to choose between antibiotics or accutane. Accutane was the right choose so far,despite the side effects.

Regimens/other things i've tried:

Apple Cider Vinegar (topical and drinking it,did nothing)

Caveman regimen (completely utter crap).

Esthetician: extractions and some weird cleaning (worsened acne)

Aloe Vera (helps with redness but does nothing to acne)

Hydrogen Peroxide (works similar to BP but it destroys your skin faster)

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/18/2014 5:14 am

Things i have tried in order:

OTC Products:

Neutrogena Facial Gel Wash w/ Salycic acid ( a total scam,made my skin dry and 20 minutes after i was mega oily)

Clean & Clear 2% Salycic acid toner ( another scam,the alcohol in it made my skin super dry,and 20 mins after it was a oily mess)

Clean & Clear Salycic acid scrub Blackhead Erasing ( did nothing)

Clean & Clear Salycic acid spot treatment (did nothing or even helped at all)

Avon Dead skin and anti acne scrub (did nothing,it was pure menthol lies)

Sulphur soap (did nothing)

Salycic acid mask (did nothing)

Differin (made my acne x100 worse,and caused permanent super oily skin)

Topical Erythromycin (kinda worked while being used,but dried out my skin badly,and after some time it was oily again)

Benzoyl Peroxide 5% (completely awful,i had a allergic reaction to it,my skin was red,inflamed,itchy,puffy. After two days of quitting,acne reappeared even worse and hyper pigmentation was incredible worse)

After those,i have been offered to choose between antibiotics or accutane. Accutane was the right choose so far,despite the side effects.

Regimens/other things i've tried:

Apple Cider Vinegar (topical and drinking it,did nothing)

Caveman regimen (completely utter crap).

Esthetician: extractions and some weird cleaning (worsened acne)

Aloe Vera (helps with redness but does nothing to acne)

Hydrogen Peroxide (works similar to BP but it destroys your skin faster)

I use tea tree and aloe vera mixed together when i have active acne.

Our lists are so long regarding what we have tried, all that money wasted and the time it takes to heal outbreaks!

Did you cut out milk? My beauty therapist said she belived milk was the cause of my acne.

Francopld liked
MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/18/2014 11:49 am

Our lists are so long regarding what we have tried, all that money wasted and the time it takes to heal outbreaks!

Did you cut out milk? My beauty therapist said she belived milk was the cause of my acne.

Yeah..its so sad to try almost everything,waste money,time and getting no results at all... I wish accutane wasn't so fucking dangerous,and i still can't believe that there is no a safer cure/treatment for acne in the 21 century.

I'm not a big (almost any) dairy/milk consumer. I should consume more for my fragile bones lol,so diet and food are not the cause of my acne.

I'm kinda sure it's hormonal,but it's pretty weird since i had no acne at all trough my puberty.

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/19/2014 5:10 am

Yeah..its so sad to try almost everything,waste money,time and getting no results at all... I wish accutane wasn't so fucking dangerous,and i still can't believe that there is no a safer cure/treatment for acne in the 21 century.

I'm not a big (almost any) dairy/milk consumer. I should consume more for my fragile bones lol,so diet and food are not the cause of my acne.

I'm kinda sure it's hormonal,but it's pretty weird since i had no acne at all trough my puberty.

I believe mine is also hormonal. Like you, I never had acne through puberty either. I'm now 36 and the last five years have been the worse. No rhyme or reason for this adult acne.

I quite agree, roaccutane does seem dangerous for some people and there is no other cure 🙁

Francopld liked
MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/19/2014 10:16 am

ah right tto! how could i forgot abt tht one. either as effective as water either makes u break out lels..

MemberMember
(@brianneg)

Posted : 08/20/2014 9:02 pm

I had acne for 15 years, tried all the "regular" over the counter products, derm prescriptions AND accutane - none completely worked. (And the accutane gave me bad eczema on my arms and legs, plus made me lose half my hair - which fortunately eventually grew back!).

I've had pretty clear skin for years now and for me it was a holistic approach combine with products that worked with my skin. A healthy, balanced diet (nothing crazy - no fads for me!) with lots of fruits and veggies, good fat and protein, reduced sugar (though I still indulge occasionally without guilt), regular exercise, stress relieving techniques, making sure I get quality sleep, and keeping up with my skin care routine. If I start to slack in one or more areas, the pimples soon follow.

After years of trying everything else, and then seeing how taking loving care of your whole self reflects in your skin, it's what I always recommend.

Best of luck to everyone!

MemberMember
(@ummmok)

Posted : 08/26/2014 9:37 pm

I've never done accutane, but I want to post! Accutane may be my next step though because I am so tired of my acne from when i was 17 to now I am going to be 22.