Notifications
Clear all

27/f Starting Accutane For Mild/persistent Cystic Acne

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 08/13/2014 12:12 pm

Hey guys,

Brief intro as my story is like 99% of the ones I read on this forum.

27/F, I've had mild but persistent cystic acne since my early twenties, tried over the counter stuff, all kinds of antibiotics, all kinds of topicals, birth control, change of diet, you name it.

Birth control (dianette) is what's worked best hands down for me but I still get painful cysts monthly and also I can't stay on the pill forever as I'd like to have kids someday!

I am absolutely TERRIFIED about taking this drug after reading all the horror stories and especially since I suffer from depression (I'm on Citalopram/Celexa 20mg), but acne has been a main factor in my depression so it's a risk I'm willing to take if it can cure my acne it would change my life!

Acne has completely destroyed my self esteem and I have really high hopes.

I am starting on 20mg of Accutane every other day for the first 2 weeks and then 20mg daily. I've also been prescribed Erythromycin for the first month (antibiotic to help with initial breakout).

If anyone wants to support me while I go through this, share thoughts, etc then I'd love that and I'd support you right back!

Good luck to everyone also taking Accutane :-)

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/13/2014 1:28 pm

I'm starting also on 20mg every other day in September this year! I go on holiday early September so I'm beginning my treatment on the 20th.

I have no history of depression, I use to have panic attacks and worry these may return.

I think support is a big thing and feel family and friends can support us but not to the extent that people who are on or have had the treatment can.

I'm coming on here a lot to for advice before I start so I know how other people have found it. I'm also worried about side effects to the point I could not sleep last night. What's helped me is looking at peoples before and after photos.

It seems we have tried similar things. And obviously these things have failed and roaccutane is our only

Hope. I do hope it works for you and think of the positives, the long term results not what may happen. There is no harm in being prepared but don't dwell on like i have.

1st blood test in the morning for me!

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 08/13/2014 1:58 pm

Good luck with your blood test! I would be happy to share private messages with you and talk about our experience? I had a "dianette buddy" too on this site, she's still a friend and it was kinda fun sharing the ups and downs with her. Dianette was also classed as a risky drug because of dvt and depression but I was fine, except it helped but didn't help that much haha! You can be my tane buddy? X

MemberMember
(@breakitoutnow)

Posted : 08/13/2014 2:27 pm

Hey frenchie86 (and emmyloublood for that matter), good luck on the course! I'm on 60 mg/day and wrapping up Month 3/entering Month 4 and I can tell you I really don't think you are going to regret the decision to do Accutane at all. It's definitely a bit of a bumpy ride and it isn't free of side effects, but all of mine have been manageable and most people whose logs I follow on here will tell you the same. Get good moisturizers, treat yourself well, and get ready for the journey to clear skin!

I've basically felt like I have had a mild cold for three months. Dry nose makes me stuffy, dry eyes itch a little, the joint pains kinda suck but haven't been debilitating (and I still run 40 miles a week). Be sure to stay hydrated (I'm really bad at this) and you should be fine. I have experienced maybe a few days where I was a bit down, but that was only when my skin wasn't looking so hot. Compared to the anxiety and depression I was battling pre-Accutane, it has been nothing for me. And on days when my skin looks good (which is happening more and more frequently now) I'm on cloud nine!

Being on Accutane is by no means "fun", but I have found it to be a small price to pay for clear skin. Remember that millions of people take this medicine and most who have a positive experience don't feel the need to share it on acne logs. As someone told me as I was starting out, the proportion of scary Accutane experiences is much higher on Acne.org than the general population. You're going to be fine, and I venture to say you are going to be much happier once the 'tane starts working its magic! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@catmama)

Posted : 08/13/2014 2:40 pm

Good luck girl! I'm 3 months in and couldn't be happier with the progress!

This is a supportive community so we're here to help each other!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/13/2014 5:20 pm

Hey ladies, I am also scheduled to begin my journey in September if my second round of blood work comes back ok. You'll both get lots of support here, thats for sure!

MemberMember
(@nicolea91)

Posted : 08/13/2014 7:49 pm

Just want to tell you good luck and that you'll be happy you made the decision to try Accutane! I was really worried too but now I'm wishing i had started it earlier. Also, i suffer from chronic depression and have been on meds for like 7 or 8 years. I didn't think much of it before but i have definitely had a change in my mood and caught myself in a 'bad moment'.. but i think now that I'm aware of it I'll be alright if i just try to keep an eye for when i start feeling/acting like that. So i just recommend trying to stay aware and also letting friends and family know you're on this medication so maybe they can keep an eye out.

Drink lots of water, start early with chapstick, and try try try not to get discouraged in the beginning. It usually gets worse before it gets better, but I'm in the beginning of my 3rd month and I'm loving the results.

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/14/2014 2:48 am

Good luck with your blood test! I would be happy to share private messages with you and talk about our experience? I had a "dianette buddy" too on this site, she's still a friend and it was kinda fun sharing the ups and downs with her. Dianette was also classed as a risky drug because of dvt and depression but I was fine, except it helped but didn't help that much haha! You can be my tane buddy? X

That would be great! Private message away! I used dianette too and it did help! I was took off it due to risk of DVT and I also suffered from migraines.

Sat here waiting for blood test right now! I think that's the 1st step almost over. I said to my collegue yesterday if I don't have blood test this week I will

Chicken out! I'm so hungry, detest fasting blood tests!

Just want to tell you good luck and that you'll be happy you made the decision to try Accutane! I was really worried too but now I'm wishing i had started it earlier. Also, i suffer from chronic depression and have been on meds for like 7 or 8 years. I didn't think much of it before but i have definitely had a change in my mood and caught myself in a 'bad moment'.. but i think now that I'm aware of it I'll be alright if i just try to keep an eye for when i start feeling/acting like that. So i just recommend trying to stay aware and also letting friends and family know you're on this medication so maybe they can keep an eye out.Drink lots of water, start early with chapstick, and try try try not to get discouraged in the beginning. It usually gets worse before it gets better, but I'm in the beginning of my 3rd month and I'm loving the results.

Glad to hear it's working out. Seems the three month mark is a milestone for a lot of people!

Hey ladies, I am also scheduled to begin my journey in September if my second round of blood work comes back ok. You'll both get lots of support here, thats for sure!

Good luck! I'll be around here a lot more no doubt when I start in September too!

Hey frenchie86 (and emmyloublood for that matter), good luck on the course! I'm on 60 mg/day and wrapping up Month 3/entering Month 4 and I can tell you I really don't think you are going to regret the decision to do Accutane at all. It's definitely a bit of a bumpy ride and it isn't free of side effects, but all of mine have been manageable and most people whose logs I follow on here will tell you the same. Get good moisturizers, treat yourself well, and get ready for the journey to clear skin! I've basically felt like I have had a mild cold for three months. Dry nose makes me stuffy, dry eyes itch a little, the joint pains kinda suck but haven't been debilitating (and I still run 40 miles a week). Be sure to stay hydrated (I'm really bad at this) and you should be fine. I have experienced maybe a few days where I was a bit down, but that was only when my skin wasn't looking so hot. Compared to the anxiety and depression I was battling pre-Accutane, it has been nothing for me. And on days when my skin looks good (which is happening more and more frequently now) I'm on cloud nine! Being on Accutane is by no means "fun", but I have found it to be a small price to pay for clear skin. Remember that millions of people take this medicine and most who have a positive experience don't feel the need to share it on acne logs. As someone told me as I was starting out, the proportion of scary Accutane experiences is much higher on Acne.org than the general population. You're going to be fine, and I venture to say you are going to be much happier once the 'tane starts working its magic! Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping to be able to excercise whilst on it too! Well done on getting your miles in. I have tried running but my bones did not like it!

Hoping my side effects are manageable as well!!

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 08/14/2014 3:06 am

Day 2- Thanks for all the positive vibes, guys! Much needed.

Took my first pill last night, I was waiting to get an allergic reaction that would kill me, for my liver to fail or feel so depressed all of a sudden that I'd jump out the window lol, but guess what I was fine!

I already have mild side effects however (!) back pain (very mild), eye sensitivity to light last night, dry/red eyes (I looked stoned, it subsided however) but so far no dryness or change in skin.

So relieved not to be allergic to accutane or the antibiotic I was given!

I take my second dose tomorrow as it's every other day for the first 2 weeks...

MemberMember
(@mandycandy)

Posted : 08/14/2014 12:46 pm

Good luck to ya, can't wait to read your journey on Accutane!

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 08/15/2014 4:01 am

Yay I am excited for you! I start next Tuesday, even though I already picked up my prescription. It is sooo hard not to start but I want to do this right. We all in this together. I am 26 and tried everything except accutane. I have done all my research and I am more then ready as well. I wish I wasn't so afraid of it earlier, so then I could have already been living my life, instead of having my life revolve around my acne! This log will definitely help you out a lot. It's always nice to know that people care and want the best. xo

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 08/15/2014 6:14 am

Yay! Thanks :)

It's nice to know I'm not alone. Feel free to private message me or add me on Facebook for chats and support. My fb name is Alizee Marine

Xoxo

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 08/17/2014 5:16 am

Day 5, symptoms totally manageable, dry eyes (bought drops), no more aches and pains and no spots!

Can already see a difference in skin, smoother and brighter. Softer. Awaiting initial breakout but secretly hope I'm one of the lucky ones who has none!

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/17/2014 6:20 am

Day 5, symptoms totally manageable, dry eyes (bought drops), no more aches and pains and no spots!

Can already see a difference in skin, smoother and brighter. Softer. Awaiting initial breakout but secretly hope I'm one of the lucky ones who has none!

So happy to hear it's going well! It's making me feel more at ease for my experience in September!

X

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 08/20/2014 5:35 am

Day 8 feeling fine zero spots

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/21/2014 12:48 pm

Day 8 feeling fine zero spots

MemberMember
(@glitznzits)

Posted : 08/21/2014 1:39 pm

Hey! I feel you, I'm 25/F and on Day 18 of Accutane. I hope it works for both of us! I also have mild/moderate but extremely persistent acne. So far I have dry lips, dry flaky skin (came on very suddenly) and the odd effect of lots of little whiteheads that come up over the course of the day and burst. I usually only get cysts. Good luck!!!!

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 08/25/2014 1:46 am

I'm feeling fine, Emma. It's been 2 weeks, I have zero side effects apart from dry lips and nose.

Bear in mind I only take 20mg every other day but in a couple of days, I need to start taking 20mg daily which might change things. I'll keep you posted. I haven't broken out at all so far my skin is perfect

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/26/2014 8:40 am

I'm feeling fine, Emma. It's been 2 weeks, I have zero side effects apart from dry lips and nose.

Bear in mind I only take 20mg every other day but in a couple of days, I need to start taking 20mg daily which might change things. I'll keep you posted. I haven't broken out at all so far my skin is perfect

That's good to hear! I can't wait to start mine, I seem to be having break out after break out at the moment. My acne is the worst it's ever been. Roll on the 21st of September.

Have you drank any alcohol whist on the roaccutane? I don't drink apart from special occasions and have my husbands 40th in September. Feel like a party pooper not having a drink and i don't drink fizzy pop so would have to drink water 🙁 lol

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 08/27/2014 7:14 am

It's been 2 weeks of taking tane every other day, I've started breaking out. Nothing too major. I start taking it everyday from today.