Notifications
Clear all

Did Accutane Twice And Still Have Acne. Anyone Else?

MemberMember
(@stephcc)

Posted : 08/12/2014 7:52 pm

Hi, I'm 25 and still getting acne. When I was 16 AND 21 I did Accutane. The first time, I had pretty clear skin for about a year or so, and in college the second time, I saw almost no satisfaction after a few months being off it. Anyone else have less than satisfactory results from Accutane? I'm back on an antibiotic (Doryx/doxycyclin). I can't be on coventional birth control pills anymore because of a migraine correlation, but I'm on the implant/Nexplanon. I'm really anxious to clear up my jaw/cheeks. Any suggestions and anyone else sharing my frustration?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/13/2014 1:28 am

I did 3 rounds of accutane through the years and my skin was all clear while i was on it, but once i stopped the acne came back. you look good btw, acne or not.

MemberMember
(@stephcc)

Posted : 08/20/2014 10:54 am

Thank you! My photo is from 6 months ago though and since then my acne has gotten bad worse. My dermatologist wants to try me on Accutane a THIRD time after seeing him yesterday since I'm not responding much to Doryx 200 mg.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/20/2014 11:01 pm

Hi, I'm 25 and still getting acne. When I was 16 AND 21 I did Accutane. The first time, I had pretty clear skin for about a year or so, and in college the second time, I saw almost no satisfaction after a few months being off it. Anyone else have less than satisfactory results from Accutane? I'm back on an antibiotic (Doryx/doxycyclin). I can't be on coventional birth control pills anymore because of a migraine correlation, but I'm on the implant/Nexplanon. I'm really anxious to clear up my jaw/cheeks. Any suggestions and anyone else sharing my frustration?

I was on tane 2 years ago, did a 7 month course. 3 months after finishing up the medication I started to break out again. I decided to try Spirolactone to treat my acne, because I wanted nothing to do with another Accutane course. I also have bad reactions to antibiotics if I am on them for more than 2 weeks, bad inflammation in my joints. Plus in my opinion antibiotics usually mean more acne once you stop taking them or in a few months when they stop being effective. Anyway back to the spiro treatment, I never looked back after starting it. Cleared me up quickly, I have been taking 100mg daily for the last 15 months, and I stay clear. Maybe a white head here and there but no break outs of any kind. I've had no side effects at all, it's really been just a great treatment for me. It's used to treat hormonal acne in women only. Judging by the location of your acne, it's likely it is hormonal. I'd give it a shot if I were you. Dermatologist sometime prescribe it, Endocronigists will prescribe it ( although getting a referral and a appt with one is a lengthily process) I get mine prescribed to me from my OBGYN. My derm was never big on thinking my acne was hormone related so she wasn't willing to prescribe it. Seeing as to how well it works for me, looks like my derm was wrong.

Do some searches for it on this site and you will see lots of women having success with it. A member names green gables also has some very informative threads about spiro and she's a book of knowledge when it comes to hormones and acne treatments.

StephCC liked
MemberMember
(@otsdarva)

Posted : 08/21/2014 12:30 am

I'm 2 months into it right now and remaining pessimistic since I still seem to get bouts of breakouts. I finally had clear, smooth skin for a couple of weeks, it was like a miracle, but I just had another breakout and I'm sure I'm going to be one of those people whose acne relapses after accutane. It's a pain how everything always seems too good to be true when it comes to acne.

StephCC liked
MemberMember
(@stephcc)

Posted : 08/21/2014 11:49 pm

Good idea with spiro. I actually was on it a long time ago in combination with antibiotics, so I could mention it again to my derm now (he's seriously willing to put me on anything, which is great, because he knows I've been on nearly anything and just wants to go with whatever has worked in the past or something new if necessary). Update is my derm has me on BACTRIM now for the next 30 days to see if it helps and then Accutane if it doesn't work.

MemberMember
(@kenneth1991sg)

Posted : 08/22/2014 6:39 am

Sounds like a external trigger since it resurfaces within 1 year for the first time and months after entering college. I did accutane and it came back after 2 years. Then I did a guess and check on myself and found that it's my sleeping habit and exercise. I'm now only getting a zit once every 2 weeks to a month.

MemberMember
(@src215)

Posted : 10/31/2017 8:51 am

I'm 16, I took accutane when I was 11-12 and 14-15, both times my skin was great for about 3 months after but now my skin is the worst it's ever been. I'm just as frustrated and confused, let me know if you have any updates I know this was years ago

MemberMember
(@turko)

Posted : 10/31/2017 12:02 pm

Hi, i took 5 courses of Isotretinoin, and still have acne.

I have 24 years old, and my first experience with this drug was in 2008 with 15 years, and they always come back,I did treatments with this remedy pretty much every year after 2008, with great success while I was still under effect of Isotretinoin.

Now I also want to go back to using some antibiotic, is doxycycline really efficient?

MemberMember
(@caliberjohnson)

Posted : 05/15/2018 4:27 pm

I suffered horrible cystic acne, huge nodules and pustules pretty much everywhere on my face, back and shoulders until I decided to afford accutane, specifically Claravis, when I was 16. I did a 6 month course and it was great. Unfortunately, I had to do a second 6mo course when I was 18 or 19, I dont remember exactly, and it was Great once again.

3 years later, and I am now 22. I do not have the cystic acne with huge nodules under the skin anymore, and I never have acne anywhere but on my face anymore, and those breakouts are few and far between, tho I do still break out on my face.

If i could give one piece of advice to all of you, it would be to alter your diets. Ive tried it myself and it seems to correlate, whenever I eat really shitty foods, you can bet Im going to break out the next week. I did a kale diet for an entire week once and my skin had never looked better, BUT then I quit and the oils came back. So, yeah, hormones and oil aside, try changing what you eat and drink, because every cell in your body is composed of what you digest.

MemberMember
(@kenneth1991sg)

Posted : 05/15/2022 4:13 pm

Did accutane around 10 years ago and cleared up till last year when it slowly crept back in. Am 31 now. Have been using soap cleanser and jojoba oil for around 5 years till now and had no issue. Had a few cysts a few days back. not drinking enough, not sleeping enough and touching my face alot recently seemed to have brought it on. started benzoyl peroxide 5% again a week back and not been having new cysts since then. only the cysts which were already there slowly surfacing with their white heads. trying out dan's regime with AHA and will see how it goes. But accutane sure isn't a permanent fix.