Notifications
Clear all

Can Someone Answer My Question?

MemberMember
(@13-going-on-30)

Posted : 08/10/2014 11:06 pm

Ok so since washing more than twice a day is excessive? Wht about washing with just plain water can that be excessive as well? I'm taking 3 maybe 4 times a day while still applying moisturizer often trough out the day.

MemberMember
(@trollunderthebridge)

Posted : 08/11/2014 12:51 am

Well, a couple things. "Washing" with just plain water, is not actually really washing per say, it's more just like rinsing. Think like if you have a face full of makeup and rub water on it, it just smears your makeup around, it doesn't actually get your face clean - you would have to use a face wash to get anything off/out. I think you get my drift.

Even though just plain water doesn't wash your face of anything, it can still be drying and strip oils out of your skin because water IS hydrating when ingested, but it is not nourishing like the oil in your skin that keeps it moisturized.

I don't quite see what purpose the water washing would really serve... just a lot of excess friction and unnecessary irritation to your already sensitive facial skin.

If you have absolutely no choice in the matter and NEED to wash your face that many times a day, I would suggest using a face wash like Burt's Bees for Sensitive Skin which is 99% natural, and contains no harsh ingredients. It is moisturizing, yet still very cleansing and best of all it is soap-free, meaning it won't strip your skin of it's natural oils, about 7-9$ at Walmart, Target, ULTA, Walgreens, etc. Vanicream makes a facial bar, that is not natural like Burt's Bees, but it has a similar concept; soap-free, moisturizing, cleansing, and it'll run you about 3-4$ found at Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid.

If you will regularly be washing your face that many times per day, it would be helpful to make a moisturizing mask be a part of your weekly routine. Moisture masks are different from most other masks in that you can do them as often as you would like/feel is necessary. I would recommend twice a week at least to start off with. And no need to drop a fortune on a pre-made one. The best moisture mask I've ever used consists of about 1/3 of an avocado, 1/2 cup-ish of oats, a couple tablespoons of honey and half a tablespoon or so of cinnamon. Smash and mix it up REALLY well, apply to face (thick but wet texture so it sticks). And I leave mine sit anywhere from 30 mins to 4 hours, just depending on how dry my skin is and how much time I have.

It could also be helpful to look into something like Vitamin E or Flax Seed Oil supplements, to get more moisture into your skin from the inside from a source other than water.

MemberMember
(@13-going-on-30)

Posted : 08/11/2014 1:12 am

Topical vitamin e? Because I have both coconut and vitamin e oil I like the results it givesI just hate to apply it as it gets all over:/.ima try Burt's bees cleanser.i have a problem of messing with my face alot I either touch my pimple knowing makes matters worst and I messed with some that are hardly even there causing inflammation.:( ugh! My skin can look great and my ocd has a way to mess it up.lets not forget my old scarring:(I need to stop this! My ocd ruins me.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/11/2014 3:22 am

My paramedical esthetics instructor always told us "You cant ever rinse your face enough." I like to spray my face with water throughout the day using a purse size spray bottle, it keeps my makeup fresh.

Water is nourishing. It makes up 92% of your blood and carries nutrients to your cells, which are composed of cytoplasm, which is 98% water. SKIN IS 64% water and fluid pushes fluid, so keep your skin juicy with water. It will be cleaner and function better. (trollunderthebridge, say what? worst response I've read- are you indeed trolling?)

Water is your skin's friend, from inside or out. Add a few drops of C serum to neutralize hard metals.

MemberMember
(@trollunderthebridge)

Posted : 08/11/2014 8:40 pm

My paramedical esthetics instructor always told us "You cant ever rinse your face enough." I like to spray my face with water throughout the day using a purse size spray bottle, it keeps my makeup fresh.

Water is nourishing. It makes up 92% of your blood and carries nutrients to your cells, which are composed of cytoplasm, which is 98% water. SKIN IS 64% water and fluid pushes fluid, so keep your skin juicy with water. It will be cleaner and function better. (trollunderthebridge, say what? worst response I've read- are you indeed trolling?)

Water is your skin's friend, from inside or out. Add a few drops of C serum to neutralize hard metals.

?? Uh not trolling, we clearly just share different philosophies.

We are also talking about two totally separate things here. You went off in a very different direction with your response considering what she had actually inquired about. I responded with my knowledge, based on my research, to her actual question.

You don't have to agree with what I said, but that doesn't make what I said wrong nor is it a proper excuse for you to be tactless.

PS You probably are not familiar with local puns, but people who live in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, beneath the Mackinaw Bridge, are referred to as "trolls under the bridge" by the folks who live in the Upper Peninsula. That's where I'm from, hence the name.

Topical vitamin e? Because I have both coconut and vitamin e oil I like the results it givesI just hate to apply it as it gets all over:/.ima try Burt's bees cleanser.i have a problem of messing with my face alot I either touch my pimple knowing makes matters worst and I messed with some that are hardly even there causing inflammation. ugh! My skin can look great and my ocd has a way to mess it up.lets not forget my old scarring:(I need to stop this! My ocd ruins me.

Topical Vitamin E can indeed do wonderful things. It's been my experience that Vitamin E supplements, in the pill form that would be taken orally, make a noticeable difference when my skin needs some extra healing/moisturizing love.

I can TOTALLY relate to what you mean about picking at your face. I do it too, especially now that it's getting pretty dry and flaky. What a nightmare. It is so hard to stop doing. I learn that lesson the hard way almost every day.

But you're not alone in any of these things. A lot of people share your struggles, including myself. Acne blows, but we are always our own worst critics. Acne or no, it doesn't change your character. =)

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 08/12/2014 4:27 am

Is there a reason why you need to wash your face that much? I guess sometimes when I exercise it makes me wash an extra time but I'm always dubious about just washing with water as it never really got me far when I used to do it. Everyone's skin is different though I guess

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/12/2014 4:30 am

Not washing- moistening. Not taking anything off, just hydrating what's there. If I'm flakey and peeling, water alone helps me more than any product or oil. If I have a cream or serum on and I want to keep that from creating sebaceous plugs, keeping it moist with water thins it. I've sped up turnover in days with Evian spray (minerals and clean soft water) that would have taken over a week without the extra hydration.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 08/12/2014 4:48 am

Not washing- moistening. Not taking anything off, just hydrating what's there. If I'm flakey and peeling, water alone helps me more than any product or oil. If I have a cream or serum on and I want to keep that from creating sebaceous plugs, keeping it moist with water thins it. I've sped up turnover in days with Evian spray that would have taken over a week without the extra hydration.

Yeah I was meaning to ask 13 going on 30 why she wants to wash throughout the day.

I have heard of people spraying their face for extra hydration, I've never done it myself though..I'm presuming it doesn't negate the effects of a moisturiser then?

MemberMember
(@13-going-on-30)

Posted : 08/13/2014 2:21 am

Yes when I wash my face I literally do it just once.but if I want to add a mask or an acne medication I see myself just rinsing with water so many times like 3-4 times a day I feel its a part of my ocd