Notifications
Clear all

Wanna Help Me Diagnose This Reaction?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/08/2014 11:30 am

So, starting early last week, My skin feels tight, irritated and I have some strange bumps that are only slightly raised with some that are slightly red. And the ones near my jaw/mouth itch. I think it's a rash of some sort and when it first started, I assumed it was a heat rash or something because it began shortly after I spent a day out on one of Houston's hottest muggiest days so far. but it gradually got worse and that's not how it ever worked before when I got what I figured was heat rash. This is now nearing the end of week two.

I do get rosacea which is also aggravated by heat, but other than when it occurs on my nose, the spots I get are usually tiny and flat, but vivid red.

I also have some tiny closed comedones on my forehead, something I've rarely had in all my decades of acne. The only time I know of was caused by topical use of almond or jojoba oil.

And I've noticed a loss of elasticity in the skin on the back of my hands.

The only thing I am doing that's totally new is taking glucosamine supplements. But I take them irregularly and that began in late June. I actually bought the capsules to use topically in my niacinimide capsule. I suppose I should consider if the topical application is the problem. But again, that began in late June.

I started making water kefir this summer. By the quart, and as it takes a day to ferment, I basically end up with a quart a day. And try to drink it just as fast. sometimes I forget/don't have time and let it ferment a day and a half or more. Each quart needs a quarter cup of sugar. From what I understand, probiotics consume the glucose and leave the fructose. I was using coconut sugar which contains a lower ratio of fructose. And you could tell because my kefir tasted pretty sour. When I ran out, I used a raw cane sugar I had on hand, and now succanat. Cane sugar/table sugar is 50/50 glucose/fructose. The water kefir is now sweet, which could mean I'm consuming more pure fructose. And this is a fructose malabsorption thing. However, I don't know that this change coincided with my breakout. I quit drinking it yesterday, maybe the day before. My skin doesn't feel worse.

Also started vitex but in late June. And taking DIM the last few days before my menstrual cycle starting end of July. And I've taken both before.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/10/2014 9:42 pm

I don't know what caused this or what your condition is but the only advice I can give is to stop everything new you started almost a week before you got these problems. It's a very basic thing but it'll probably help. I have done this all the time and am able to control my break out. Just a couple of weeks ago I broke out because of some new SLS free products I tried. It lasted for a week but then went away. So yeah..guess you can try that.

Also, if you have Rosacea you might be prone to Perioral Dermatitis and that's what you might have right now just because it's around your mouth. Although I hope you don't.

MemberMember
(@anastasia899)

Posted : 08/10/2014 10:24 pm

Why can't you go to a dermatologist to diagnose you? There are many bumpy red acneiform eruptions that looks the same but have different causes. Only a derm can differentiate between them.

Can an I ask if you're taking any medication? Say antidepressants ? I know Lithium causes papular eruptions to the degree that you're describing that itch too.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/11/2014 8:24 am

Why can't you go to a dermatologist to diagnose you? There are many bumpy red acneiform eruptions that looks the same but have different causes. Only a derm can differentiate between them.

Can an I ask if you're taking any medication? Say antidepressants ? I know Lithium causes papular eruptions to the degree that you're describing that itch too.

You don't know how funny it is to ask me these thing. No I take no medications. And no I I'm not going to a dermatologist for a minor temporary rash no one can see but me.

Any way, it's gone now and I'll be adding things back very gradually to watch for any reaction, although I still suspect it was the heat, even though it came on gradually.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/11/2014 10:00 am

I don't know what caused this or what your condition is but the only advice I can give is to stop everything new you started almost a week before you got these problems. It's a very basic thing but it'll probably help. I have done this all the time and am able to control my break out. Just a couple of weeks ago I broke out because of some new SLS free products I tried. It lasted for a week but then went away. So yeah..guess you can try that.

Also, if you have Rosacea you might be prone to Perioral Dermatitis and that's what you might have right now just because it's around your mouth. Although I hope you don't.

Yes, I did stop all the things I mentioned above. And will now gradually add back in. I had some of the water kefir yesterday.

I will look into Perioral Dermatitis, but my rash really didn't look like any of the pictures I've seen. It was fairly invisible to anyone else.

Heat & exercise can also induce reactions to things that you otherwise wouldn't have a reaction to. I think I'm also going to have to keep my air conditioner a few degrees lower. My dog gets hot spots and they are pretty bad right now even though he spends very little time outside in the daytime. He was with me that very hot day we spent outdoors at an event.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/11/2014 10:31 am

Yes, I did stop all the things I mentioned above. And will now gradually add back in. I had some of the water kefir yesterday.

I will look into Perioral Dermatitis, but my rash really didn't look like any of the pictures I've seen. It was fairly invisible to anyone else.

Heat & exercise can also induce reactions to things that you otherwise wouldn't have a reaction to. I think I'm also going to have to keep my air conditioner a few degrees lower. My dog gets hot spots and they are pretty bad right now even though he spends very little time outside in the daytime. He was with me that very hot day we spent outdoors at an event.

It might be a mild case of Perioral derm. Because its very sensitive to heat and sunlight as well. But again that's just an assumption, so don't take my word for it. It just fits the description too - little bumps, around the mouth, induced by heat and rosacea. It's worth looking into it.

Maybe kefir is causing a reaction too since some people claim that POD is all about the gut.

I just can't seem to think of anything else that's around the mouth and comes out as little hard bumps except Pod.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 08/12/2014 2:45 am

the start of menopause ..lol?

Rashs and reactions are so vague and unpredictable. Its easy if you start something new and have a reaction now, but if its something that has taken time to build up in your body and is only now surfacing then your shooting blanks at what it could be. Its like that House episode where the amish lady who washed copper dishes for years and years and then out of nowhere develops a potentially fatal allergic reaction to copper. So, i guess ya just start troubleshooting every thing you do in the aid of your skin i.e eating/drinking, topicals, to household products etc. Hope ya don't have to go that far. I would just see if it gets worse and go from there.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/12/2014 7:22 am

It might be a mild case of Perioral derm. Because its very sensitive to heat and sunlight as well. But again that's just an assumption, so don't take my word for it. It just fits the description too - little bumps, around the mouth, induced by heat and rosacea. It's worth looking into it.

Maybe kefir is causing a reaction too since some people claim that POD is all about the gut.

I just can't seem to think of anything else that's around the mouth and comes out as little hard bumps except Pod.

I'm not a stranger to probiotics and fermented foods. It was the fructose in it that was my concern.

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/12/2014 10:26 am

woa ur like the main person of forums, i dont think theres anyone who would know those things better than yourself?

anyway, i can only think of insect bite maybe?

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/12/2014 12:33 pm

woa ur like the main person of forums, i dont think theres anyone who would know those things better than yourself?

anyway, i can only think of insect bite maybe?

Lolololol

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/20/2014 7:43 pm

So, my problem persists and is worse yesterday and today than it had been earlier in the week.

I've considered if it is due to my topical concoction with glucosamine, which I began adding in early July and so quit using that yesterday.

I also took a benadryl last night, then forgot about that idea until just now when I took another.

And, finally, could be the water. I'd heard news reports about funny tasting water in which they assured us all is fine. I didn't notice any funny tasting water as a use an Aquasana filter. But this was just posted on Erin Brockovich's facebook:

"

The process taking place in Harris County is called a Chlorine Burnout. It is not safe it is in fact extremely dangerous, and to some life threatening. The levels of chlorine used in a burnout produce chloroform which is primarily what you smell, if inhaled in a hot shower or through medical devices (humidifiers, CPAPs or nebulizers) it can cause chemically induced asthma and pneumonia.

Drinking Water Utilities will tell you the drinking water meets or exceeds all standardswhat they dont tell you is that they test the water before a burnout and then test the water after a burnout (never during)quarterly testing is all that is required and some burnouts last as much as 90-days.

Irresponsible water utilities are switching to a cheap alternative to chlorine which does not remove harmful organics and dirt from the water supplies. When chlorine mixes with these organics during the Chlorine Burnouts, which would otherwise not be required if the dirt was removed properly, it forms thousands of chemical combinations many of which may cause cancer."

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/21/2014 7:28 am

You may have already stated this but what is your topical made up of? Good idea to cut it out for now and see if you gain improvement...

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/21/2014 8:32 am

You may have already stated this but what is your topical made up of? Good idea to cut it out for now and see if you gain improvement...

Aloe Vera, niacinimide from a supplement capsule, a little safflower oil and vegetable glycerin. I've been doing that for a couple of years. Then I bought some glucosamine as it is supposed to be very beneficial to skin barrier function in combination with niacinimide. But I stated that at the end of June. This rash began early August.

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/21/2014 9:27 am

Interesting... do you find that without using your topical that acne or other skin conditions would re-appear? Ideally your body should be able to deal with toxicity in your system to the point that you should no longer require topical ointments. Any topical (doesn't matter if natural or pharmaceutical) will serve to suppress skin conditions; eventually they will re-appear. Clearing your body from the inside out, as you have been doing, means that the manifestations of old skin problems should appear at some point, skin problems during detox is a good thing, it means that the toxins are being pushed out of your skin rather than sticking around in vital organs. If you allow this process to happen naturally without suppressing with ANY topicals, the process of elimination will go that much faster for you. The process of cure goes from the inside out, from the top down and in reverse order of appearance, as a wise and learned man used to tell me very frequently... I highly suggest you eliminate your use of any topicals and allow this process to occur, your body will eventually rid itself of the toxins responsible till the manifestations no longer appear. For now I advise you to only wash your face and body with any natural cleanser of your choice aslong as it is washed off afterwards.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/23/2014 9:54 am

Interesting... do you find that without using your topical that acne or other skin conditions would re-appear? Ideally your body should be able to deal with toxicity in your system to the point that you should no longer require topical ointments. Any topical (doesn't matter if natural or pharmaceutical) will serve to suppress skin conditions; eventually they will re-appear. Clearing your body from the inside out, as you have been doing, means that the manifestations of old skin problems should appear at some point, skin problems during detox is a good thing, it means that the toxins are being pushed out of your skin rather than sticking around in vital organs. If you allow this process to happen naturally without suppressing with ANY topicals, the process of elimination will go that much faster for you. The process of cure goes from the inside out, from the top down and in reverse order of appearance, as a wise and learned man used to tell me very frequently... I highly suggest you eliminate your use of any topicals and allow this process to occur, your body will eventually rid itself of the toxins responsible till the manifestations no longer appear. For now I advise you to only wash your face and body with any natural cleanser of your choice aslong as it is washed off afterwards.

No. I don't use the topical for acne, even though it's beneficial for acne. I frequently go for days or weeks without it after running out before I get around to making more. However, I never added glucosamine until July. It is usually made from shellfish. It's not uncommon to be allergic to shellfish, but I never have been before

This isn't acne. It's some kind of rash. Allergic response and/or exacerbated by the heat. And I'm not detoxing unless it has to do with drinking the water kefir daily for a month or so prior to this rash. But I've always eaten probiotic foods.

I've kept my skin clear via diet for nearly a decade now. I use no cleansers and haven't for a couple of years.

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/23/2014 10:46 am

No. I don't use the topical for acne, even though it's beneficial for acne. I frequently go for days or weeks without it after running out before I get around to making more. However, I never added glucosamine until July. It is usually made from shellfish. It's not uncommon to be allergic to shellfish, but I never have been before

This isn't acne. It's some kind of rash. Allergic response and/or exacerbated by the heat. And I'm not detoxing unless it has to do with drinking the water kefir daily for a month or so prior to this rash. But I've always eaten probiotic foods.

I've kept my skin clear via diet for nearly a decade now. I use no cleansers and haven't for a couple of years.

Ok, well if you've licked your acne condition without the constant need for topicals then I'd say you've probably removed most of the toxicity responsible. In which case your problem now is possibly just an allergic response to the glucosamine like you said. As for detox, isn't every day a detox when you're eating healthy? ^^