Notifications
Clear all

Want To Take Spiro But Pregnant. Is It Safe? Any Advice?

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/07/2014 9:10 pm

Hey I have bad hormonal acne because I am in my first trimester. I've always had pretty clear skin but it always breaks out around my periods or when my hormones increase (During pregnancy or when my period comes back after breastfeeding). I am wondering if Spiro is safe for pregnancy and if anyone has taken it before while pregnant. I read that there is no side effects or problems ever reported according to web md. If my doctor says yes, I'd like to take it, but I'd like to hear from personal experience first. my acne is really bad around my chin. I got a few big bumps and then a lot of whiteheads which seem to almost be forming like a rash around my mouth. I don't ever get any on my cheeks or body and it's rare to get them on my forehead or nose, only around my mouth. I also notice my skin is now super oily. Will spiro help me? I hear it has androgen blockers which are the main cause of hormonal acne breakouts. I really need help. I am extremely depressed and don't want to go anywhere because of my skin. I have two children already so it's hard not to leave the house, and when we do go out, I feel like I have to wear tons of makeup because of how bad it is. However, I do try to wear as little as I can now..Did spiro help your hormonal acne while pregnant? And if you advise I don't take it, what topical treatments worked for you? Prescription or not. Thanks

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/07/2014 9:37 pm

It is not safe unfortunately!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/07/2014 10:07 pm

No, you cannot take spiro while you're pregnant.

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/08/2014 12:11 pm

Hi can you please give me more information? Why is it not safe and who told you this? Thanks!

Hi can you tell me why and where you heard it from? I am not going against what you say I would just like some more information. Thanks

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/08/2014 12:27 pm

Hi can you please give me more information? Why is it not safe and who told you this? Thanks!

>No, you cannot take spiro while you're pregnant.

Hi can you tell me why and where you heard it from? I am not going against what you say I would just like some more information. Thanks

Spiro alters your hormones and in turn can also alter the baby's hormones. It is especially problematic if your baby is a male because spiro reduces androgens.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/08/2014 1:44 pm

If you google it you will find that studies have been done on rats, and that Spiro did in fact negatively affect the development of the male organs. And there have been impacts on female rats too. You really don't want to mess with a hormone blocker when you're pregnant.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/08/2014 1:57 pm

Spiron

>No, you cannot take spiro while you're pregnant.

There are studies, but my doctors have told me never to become pregnant while taking spironolactone because it alters androgen in vitro, causing malformation in the genitalia of male fetuses.

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/08/2014 9:21 pm

Oh wow okay, I will definitely NOT take this then! Thanks so much. I'll just stick to benzoyl peroxide and tough it out!!!

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/09/2014 12:45 pm

Oh wow okay, I will definitely NOT take this then! Thanks so much. I'll just stick to benzoyl peroxide and tough it out!!!

You can use salicylic acid too. Salicylic acid peels might be helpful.

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/10/2014 8:45 pm

Actually I did a read up on Salicylic Acid and I read it's not good for the baby. Anything put on the skin is absorbed into the bloodstream. Currently benzoyl peroxide is the safest bet, thanks :)

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/10/2014 9:51 pm

Actually I did a read up on Salicylic Acid and I read it's not good for the baby. Anything put on the skin is absorbed into the bloodstream. Currently benzoyl peroxide is the safest bet, thanks

Benzoyl peroxide is also put on the skin, so I'm questioning your logic there.

Who is the father?

Benzoyl Peroxide is safe during pregnancy. However Salicylic Acid taken orally can cause birth defects and complications. Therefore, doctors suggest that it should not be used topically either to avoid any risks. What do you mean by who is the father? That's quite irrelevant.