Notifications
Clear all

Finally Had Clear Skin Now I'm Pregnant And Skin Is Worse Than Ever!

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/07/2014 8:51 pm

Hey there. I started breaking out in the winter and it was actually due to my birth control. Instead of regulating my hormones, it was screwing them up. So I went off birth control and my acne drastically improved AND I started taking a supplement called DIM which balances your hormones. My acne was gone within 1-2 months and I was living acne-free with no make-up for 2-3 months.Then, wouldn't ya know it, I became pregnant and BAM, one zit after another. I don't have really bad acne and it only happens on my chin, upper lip area, and rarely my nose and forehead but never on my cheeks or body, so I KNOW it's hormonal. Plus it usually only occurs during those "times of the month" and while I'm in my first few months of pregnancy. Now, I HAVE to wear make-up it's so bad. I feel so embarrassed by my skin and I can't stay on my hormone balancer because it is not safe during pregnancy to alter your hormones in any way. And I would never endanger my unborn child for clear skin. So, this has been like this for a month now. I got a zit or two on my chin or near my mouth, now, I have this rash like whitehead breakout all along my chin and above my mouth near my nose/upper lip. I got maybe a few tiiiiiny little ones on my nose or forehead but they're not noticeable at all. I do feel like my skin is a lot more oily and I haven't been exercising as much because I feel really nauseous from my pregnancy. I try to avoid dairy because it makes me break out but I know it's because of the pregnancy. I've been using lemon juice mixed with witch hazel to cleanse my skin and apply tea tree oil and aloe vera or polysporin to heal the pimples at night and usually every morning. I have been consistent with this but every day I get a new pimple on my chin. It is driving me crazy and I need help NOW! I am going to see my doctor because I can't stand this. What is the best topical treatment you would say that helped you? I want to get something strong but topical, no oral as it's unsafe for pregnancy. I need one that works fast and well on whiteheads and SOME cystic like acne. I only get one or two big pimples at a time, but they're big and annoying and painful and take forever to go away so I need something strong. What is the best treatment you've ever used to get rid of your acne? And please no proactiv users or crap like that, that stuff does not work and it only dries out your skin and makes it worse. I am talking actual topical treatments that have helped you personally. Thanks so much for the help and if you can suggest any tips like things to eat or activities or just basic advice to help to clear my skin!!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/08/2014 10:04 am

Most doctors won't give you anything topically for acne except benzoyl peroxide. Like you, doctors don't want to do ANYTHING to endanger a baby. There are a lot of medications that haven't been proven to cause harm but also haven't been proven to not cause harm. And it's going to stay that way since who is going to test something on a pregnant woman for a non-life threatening condition like acne? Nobody.

Since you can get benzoyl peroxide over the counter there's little point in seeing a doctor. And if you've already decided that Proactive is crap, well... I don't believe that benzoyl peroxide is magic, but it is one the most effective topical treatments because it oxygenates the pore and therefore can kill bacteria without causing bacterial resistance. No other topical treatment can do that.

You could also use a sulfur ointment topically, but you don't need a Rx for that. You can look for the Sulfur Butter and Cream Ointment. Sulfur tends to be the treatment of choice for adult acne because it is gentler to the skin that benzoyl peroxide.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/08/2014 12:08 pm

I feel you. I had my acne get much worse when I was pregnant as well. Your hormones are raging and there's not much you can really do. The only thing that worked was going on Keflex - Category B antibiotic. I was on it 3 times for 4 weeks each. My daughter is 2 and absolutely fine. I was getting scarring acne, and now live with scars for the rest of my life, so for me it was what I had to do. I was on finacea and clyndimicin and they did nothing. I tried tea tree oil and mario badescu products. Just nothing worked. When it's that hormonal it's very hard to try a topical solution. Around 6 months pregnant my oil dried up completely and I was 100% clear until 2 weeks after I gave birth. So you just have to tough it out for awhile. And be gentle so you reduce the chance of scarring! Such a bad deal as I will not be having a second child because of this.

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/08/2014 12:22 pm

Most doctors won't give you anything topically for acne except benzoyl peroxide. Like you, doctors don't want to do ANYTHING to endanger a baby. There are a lot of medications that haven't been proven to cause harm but also haven't been proven to not cause harm. And it's going to stay that way since who is going to test something on a pregnant woman for a non-life threatening condition like acne? Nobody.

Since you can get benzoyl peroxide over the counter there's little point in seeing a doctor. And if you've already decided that Proactive is crap, well... I don't believe that benzoyl peroxide is magic, but it is one the most effective topical treatments because it oxygenates the pore and therefore can kill bacteria without causing bacterial resistance. No other topical treatment can do that.

You could also use a sulfur ointment topically, but you don't need a Rx for that. You can look for the Sulfur Butter and Cream Ointment. Sulfur tends to be the treatment of choice for adult acne because it is gentler to the skin that benzoyl peroxide.

Hey thanks for the advice. I already know about benzoyl peroxide, I was looking for a product mostly, that worked for you. Like an actual name brand you know that works well. I also do know sulfur works but there are many products like that that you can't get in Canada and I don't like to order things like that from across the country. I was going to try Clean and Clear or Neutrogena. Just wanted to know if you had any products that you know that work well.

And By the way, I did some research and there are prescription medications that are available and proven safe for pregnant women such as erythromycin (Erygel), clindamycin (Cleocin T, Clindagel, others) and azelaic acid (Azelex, Finacea). I really don't want to try any prescription stuff because I agree with what you said and would rather not take any risk with my baby. I have been using benzoyl peroxide by Neutrogena, the rapid clear stuff, but I don't feel that it works.

I feel you. I had my acne get much worse when I was pregnant as well. Your hormones are raging and there's not much you can really do. The only thing that worked was going on Keflex - Category B antibiotic. I was on it 3 times for 4 weeks each. My daughter is 2 and absolutely fine. I was getting scarring acne, and now live with scars for the rest of my life, so for me it was what I had to do. I was on finacea and clyndimicin and they did nothing. I tried tea tree oil and mario badescu products. Just nothing worked. When it's that hormonal it's very hard to try a topical solution. Around 6 months pregnant my oil dried up completely and I was 100% clear until 2 weeks after I gave birth. So you just have to tough it out for awhile. And be gentle so you reduce the chance of scarring! Such a bad deal as I will not be having a second child because of this.

I'm on my third child and it's weird cause my acne was kinda bad with my second but I didn't get ANY at all with my first child, so I wouldn't lose hope cause your next child, your skin could be glowing. It's weird how every pregnancy affects your body differently. What is Keflex and do you know if it's available in Canada? And of course it is safe during pregnancy right? And is it a prescription med? Also did you note any side effects for yourself as you say your daughter is fine, ex. did it make you sick, tired, etc?. Thanks so much for the reply. And yeah I found my acne after my pregnancy went away around month 4-5, and didn't come back til I stopped breastfeeding when my son was 2 years old...so weird.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/08/2014 1:01 pm

That is so crazy that this didn't happen in your first pregnancy. I do think our receptors change over time, but I can't figure it out. Keflex is cephalexin which is an antibiotic. Category B, so there has been no evidence in animals or people of causing problems to fetuses (but it can't be ruled out - almost nothing is Category A). The only side effect I got was a yeast infection, which I get any time I'm ever on antibiotics. The only thing that concerns me though is that there is more evidence about the importance of bacteria in the placenta, which prompts a theoretical concern that killing off good bacteria could be harmful to the baby. But like I said, so far so good.

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/08/2014 9:22 pm

Ohh hmm, yeah I'm kinda iffy on it. I think I'll just stick to my benzoyl peroxide!

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 08/09/2014 1:41 am

I'm pretty sure you could use burt's bees blemish touch stick while you're pregnant. I also like using aztec secret indian healing clay. Most people use it as a mask but it has many uses. I make a really watery paste and then apply it to blemishes before I go to bed and sleep on it. It is amazing. I also stopped taking my birth control pills because it was messing with my hormones and mood. I was planning on doing the standard days method where you count your cycle but got pregnant with twins like a week later. I guess I probably should have perfected the art of it before I relied on it as actual birth control, but I'm glad I was unusually careless. Everything happens for a reason because now I have the two most perfect babies. I was lucky to not get morning sickness and my skin was excellent until about 3 months after they were born then I got severely oily skin + acne and half my hair fell out. Then when I lost baby weight I got some wrinkles :( Makes up for the easy pregnancy I suppose.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/09/2014 6:03 pm

The safety of antibiotics while pregnant is somewhat disputed.

The newer research that is determining that healthy probiotic environments are created for each person while they are still in the womb and also while nursing (depends on who you ask, some say babies are sterile in the womb and nursing is the essential step, others don't). Past a certain point of growth you lose the ability to populate your own gut with beneficial bacteria. These bacteria can't create the necessary biomes in the gut even if you supplement at that point.

If you are taking antibiotics while pregnant/nursing you are potentially sterilizing what should not be sterile and preventing your baby from having a normal, healthy, functioning digestive system. The problems may take a few years to crop up, but you could be inadvertently subjecting them to IBS or other problems for the rest of their life.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 08/10/2014 9:27 am

How long were you on DIM for? Perhaps it's not entirely the pregnancy hormones, but instead, a result of withdrawing the DIM quickly rather than weaning down?

When you get the large cystic breakouts, a warm compress does help somewhat. Also, perhaps eating foods that have high anti-inflammatory action like berries and fish and avoiding dairy might help as well.

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/10/2014 8:55 pm

How long were you on DIM for? Perhaps it's not entirely the pregnancy hormones, but instead, a result of withdrawing the DIM quickly rather than weaning down?

When you get the large cystic breakouts, a warm compress does help somewhat. Also, perhaps eating foods that have high anti-inflammatory action like berries and fish and avoiding dairy might help as well.

Only for about 4 months. It definitely has to be the pregnancy because I weaned myself off DIM for a little and nothing happened. Plus, once I found out I was pregnant there was no time to wean, it's too dangerous to take something that alters the hormones. And I don't get really bad cystic breakouts, I may have used the wrong term. They're just big pimples and I only get 1-2 at most at one time. My problem is mostly whiteheads. I also eat only raw natural foods with no preservatives and I eat no meat and barely any dairy as I am lactose intolerant. I eat mostly fish (not much, only 1-2x week) and ton of fruits and veggies. So I KNOW that its not from my diet because it's very healthy. I am convinced it's the pregnancy because my acne is hormonal and I ONLY get it near my period, and when I first get pregnant and after breastfeeding when my period comes Thank you for the advice.

The safety of antibiotics while pregnant is somewhat disputed.

The newer research that is determining that healthy probiotic environments are created for each person while they are still in the womb and also while nursing (depends on who you ask, some say babies are sterile in the womb and nursing is the essential step, others don't). Past a certain point of growth you lose the ability to populate your own gut with beneficial bacteria. These bacteria can't create the necessary biomes in the gut even if you supplement at that point.

If you are taking antibiotics while pregnant/nursing you are potentially sterilizing what should not be sterile and preventing your baby from having a normal, healthy, functioning digestive system. The problems may take a few years to crop up, but you could be inadvertently subjecting them to IBS or other problems for the rest of their life.

Hey, I'm actually highly against medication, I wanted to use it as a last resort for my acne but it's actually under control right now and my skin is clearing up quite nicely because of my persistent daily routine. There is also NO medication available that is currently safe during pregnacy so I am NOT going to risk it. I am also exercising a lot more and drinking tons of water and I really think it's helping. I didn't take any meds during any of my pregnancies - not even aspirin or tylenol...so I'm not going to be taking any antibiotics at all and playing it safe. No need to worry about me. I've never taken meds while pregnant and nursing and I never will. My post merely states I am looking for topical regimens. Sorry if it confused you. Thanks

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 08/11/2014 8:50 am

Drinking lots of water does help! Also, avoid mineral makeup because it can cause clogged pores.

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/12/2014 9:29 pm

Thanks I have been drinking tons of water. And yes I try to avoid all makeup. I find the best to use however, is powdered. The liquid stuff makes me break out more. But everyones skin is different right! Its by Physicians formula and it's talc free and doesn't clog pores/oil free.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 08/13/2014 7:58 pm

I hope its just a rough patch for you and youll get that pregnancy glow soon! I am surprised DIM isnt safe during pregnancy in LOW doses, it is just derived from cruciferous vegetables, no?

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/22/2014 2:41 pm

I hope its just a rough patch for you and youll get that pregnancy glow soon! I am surprised DIM isnt safe during pregnancy in LOW doses, it is just derived from cruciferous vegetables, no?

I actually just checked with my Doctor and it IS safe to take so I'm excited now. I just ordered it. And yes you can only take one capsule oppose to 2-4 per day.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 08/22/2014 2:51 pm

I'm so happy for you! :)

I've started DIM a month ago but so far I'm still getting breakouts. My acne is worse than yours though. How long did it take to work for you?

B

I hope it™s just a rough patch for you and you™ll get that pregnancy glow soon! I am surprised DIM isn™t safe during pregnancy in LOW doses, it is just derived from cruciferous vegetables, no?

I actually just checked with my Doctor and it IS safe to take so I'm excited now. I just ordered it. And yes you can only take one capsule oppose to 2-4 per day.

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/22/2014 3:10 pm

When I first started, I saw results immediately. From the day I started taking it, I didn't get one new pimple. After a few weeks my old blemishes were completely healed and you could barely tell they were there. I was on it for about 4 months and the whole time I didn't get one pimple. My skin was softer and glowing. I was on 2 capsules a day for 2 months then reduced to 1 per day. then it was 1 every other day. Where did you order it from and who's it by? Certain DIM products are the better than others. Mine is DIM DEtox and it's amazing. It's by Pure encapsulations. Also you should maybe increase your dosage?

I'm so happy for you!

I've started DIM a month ago but so far I'm still getting breakouts. My acne is worse than yours though. How long did it take to work for you?

B

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 08/23/2014 3:55 pm

Thanks for replying LeksiBabi. Your results sound amazing.

I'm taking Nature's Way Dim Plus. I'm now up to three per day.

Hoping I see progress soon!

When I first started, I saw results immediately. From the day I started taking it, I didn't get one new pimple. After a few weeks my old blemishes were completely healed and you could barely tell they were there. I was on it for about 4 months and the whole time I didn't get one pimple. My skin was softer and glowing. I was on 2 capsules a day for 2 months then reduced to 1 per day. then it was 1 every other day. Where did you order it from and who's it by? Certain DIM products are the better than others. Mine is DIM DEtox and it's amazing. It's by Pure encapsulations. Also you should maybe increase your dosage?

I'm so happy for you! smile.png

B

I hope it™s just a rough patch for you and you™ll get that pregnancy glow soon! I am surprised DIM isn™t safe during pregnancy in LOW doses, it is just derived from cruciferous vegetables, no?

MemberMember
(@leksibabi)

Posted : 08/24/2014 6:19 pm

Hey brenmc. I actually did a lot of research before taking a DIM supplement, and I discovered that the active ingredient DIM should have BIO Response before it. It has something to do with the potency and how it's manufactured. It makes the DIM in the supplement a lot stronger and effective. I believe Natures way does have BIO Response DIM but it doesn't have half the stuff DIM Detox has, which makes it work so well. It hasn't just worked for me. It's worked for 3 people I know. And one was suffering from severe hormonal acne and it completely cured it. But they all bought DIM Detox by Pure encapsulations. It's very potent. More expensive though, but worth it. Maybe try it for another month and if you don't see a drastic improvement I'd switch over. You definitely won't regret it!

B

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 08/24/2014 7:44 pm

Thanks for replying!

That's very interesting LeksiBabi. And definitely something to consider if I don't see progress soon. Do you know if it possible to purchase DIM Detox online in Canada?

You said one of the people you know who took it had severe acne, was it cystic or nodular?

B

Hey brenmc. I actually did a lot of research before taking a DIM supplement, and I discovered that the active ingredient DIM should have BIO Response before it. It has something to do with the potency and how it's manufactured. It makes the DIM in the supplement a lot stronger and effective. I believe Natures way does have BIO Response DIM but it doesn't have half the stuff DIM Detox has, which makes it work so well. It hasn't just worked for me. It's worked for 3 people I know. And one was suffering from severe hormonal acne and it completely cured it. But they all bought DIM Detox by Pure encapsulations. It's very potent. More expensive though, but worth it. Maybe try it for another month and if you don't see a drastic improvement I'd switch over. You definitely won't regret it!

B

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 08/26/2014 10:59 am

I just looked into the DIM Detox formula... apparently it has a lot of other ingredients including CDG. It also looks like it focuses on liver support (hence the name) since it also contains things like NAC, ALA, and milk thistle. Here's a link to the source: http://www.pureencapsulations.com/dim-detox.html

I've read mixed stories on CDG (calcium-d-glucarate) some women have success with it while others don't (just like any supplement though, I guess.) Did your doctor look at all the ingredients before telling you that it was okay to take while pregnant? I don't know much about it but I thought CDG wasn't safe during pregnancy... I am also still convinced that DIM shouldn't be taken while pregnant either, since it's directly influencing your hormones and is an anti-androgen.

If you can handle all of the ingredients, it looks like a pretty good supplement but it's quite expensive. I would be worried to take it personally because there is so much in it... I wouldn't know which ingredient was causing side effects if any. I'm glad it works for you though, LeksiBabi! (:

By the way, I get liver support from l-cysteine (NAC is a product of l-cysteine) because I do drink. I wonder if this helped at all while I was on DIM. Something else to think about!

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 08/27/2014 5:13 am

I just looked into the DIM Detox formula... apparently it has a lot of other ingredients including CDG. It also looks like it focuses on liver support (hence the name) since it also contains things like NAC, ALA, and milk thistle. Here's a link to the source: http://www.pureencapsulations.com/dim-detox.html

I've read mixed stories on CDG (calcium-d-glucarate) some women have success with it while others don't (just like any supplement though, I guess.) Did your doctor look at all the ingredients before telling you that it was okay to take while pregnant? I don't know much about it but I thought CDG wasn't safe during pregnancy... I am also still convinced that DIM shouldn't be taken while pregnant either, since it's directly influencing your hormones and is an anti-androgen.

If you can handle all of the ingredients, it looks like a pretty good supplement but it's quite expensive. I would be worried to take it personally because there is so much in it... I wouldn't know which ingredient was causing side effects if any. I'm glad it works for you though, LeksiBabi! (:

By the way, I get liver support from l-cysteine (NAC is a product of l-cysteine) because I do drink. I wonder if this helped at all while I was on DIM. Something else to think about!

I didn't know DIM was an anti-androgen is that right?

Also is it better for a DIM supplement to contain all those other ingredients like CDG and milk thistle?

The reason I ask is just because I take a supplement which contains 80mg DIM and that song with skin care helped my severe acne. But more recently things have slowly got worse, namely after ovulation and all throughout my second phase of my menstrual cycle..I am considering purchasing this DIM detox but am so dubious because I've spent so much money on stuff that doesn't work...it's like going out on a limb for me before asking about RoaccutAne.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 08/27/2014 7:13 pm

I wonder if I'm missing a liver support? hearts, why did you choose l-cysteine instead of NAC? I think I've read good things about NAC for PCOS, is that correct?

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 08/28/2014 8:47 am

I wonder if I'm missing a liver support? hearts, why did you choose l-cysteine instead of NAC? I think I've read good things about NAC for PCOS, is that correct?

Maybe! It's difficult to say. I think NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) or l-cysteine would be beneficial to anyone (unless you have cystinuria, a genetic disorder where supplementing with cysteine forms kidney stones.) In PCOS, it can help with insulin sensitivity and resistance! (:

I can't remember why I chose l-cysteine over NAC... I think at the time I read about a particular benefit of it over NAC, but I can't for the life of me remember and it was quite a while ago. I'll keep trying to remember, haha! NAC is generally considered the better of the two supplements, it is supposedly better absorbed, etc. I've taken l-cysteine for several years without a single problem, only good results. My boyfriend takes it when we drink too, and hasn't had any problems either. Maybe I should switch to NAC but I don't really feel the need to at this time.

Here is a link with some of the benefits of NAC/l-cysteine. It amazes me when I read about all that it can do. Along with preventing hangovers and detoxing the liver, it helps my nails and hair grow. I read that some Asians take it to "brighten" their skin, and I have even read that it has anti-aging properties/effects like improving collagen and getting rid of age spots.

Also is it better for a DIM supplement to contain all those other ingredients like CDG and milk thistle?

The reason I ask is just because I take a supplement which contains 80mg DIM and that song with skin care helped my severe acne. But more recently things have slowly got worse, namely after ovulation and all throughout my second phase of my menstrual cycle..I am considering purchasing this DIM detox but am so dubious because I've spent so much money on stuff that doesn't work...it's like going out on a limb for me before asking about RoaccutAne.

Yep, it sure is! Check out this study.

I think whether or not it's better to have those other ingredients as well really depends on the person. Like I said, some women break out from CDG while others don't, etc. I took l-cysteine to help with detoxing my liver (while on DIM) but not specifically for my skin... I'm not sure if it helped clear my skin or not.

What brand DIM do you take now? brenmc has a good point, you might want to try upping the dose before spending money on a different supplement. Also, it's important that you get adequate amounts of other nutrients to support hormonal health especially during stressful times!

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 08/28/2014 2:15 pm

Interesting hearts, thanks. If you've been taking this along with DIM, perhaps that's the key to your success? I've read of people taking liver support with DIM in several places but I have been too nervous to add anything else at this stage. However, I'm now thinking I might need to add NAC to see the full benefits of DIM?

Have you read or seen anything about NAC causing an initial breakout, I know liver detoxes can do so? What about taking NAC with inositol, would that be too much change to my glucose metabolism?

Thanks!

Maybe! It's difficult to say. I think NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) or l-cysteine would be beneficial to anyone (unless you have cystinuria, a genetic disorder where supplementing with cysteine forms kidney stones.) In PCOS, it can help with insulin sensitivity and resistance! (:

I can't remember why I chose l-cysteine over NAC... I think at the time I read about a particular benefit of it over NAC, but I can't for the life of me remember and it was quite a while ago. I'll keep trying to remember, haha! NAC is generally considered the better of the two supplements, it is supposedly better absorbed, etc. I've taken l-cysteine for several years without a single problem, only good results. My boyfriend takes it when we drink too, and hasn't had any problems either. Maybe I should switch to NAC but I don't really feel the need to at this time.

Here is a link with some of the benefits of NAC/l-cysteine. It amazes me when I read about all that it can do. Along with preventing hangovers and detoxing the liver, it helps my nails and hair grow. I read that some Asians take it to "brighten" their skin, and I have even read that it has anti-aging properties/effects like improving collagen and getting rid of age spots.

MemberMember
(@user143021)

Posted : 08/28/2014 4:06 pm

Interesting hearts, thanks. If you've been taking this along with DIM, perhaps that's the key to your success? I've read of people taking liver support with DIM in several places but I have been too nervous to add anything else at this stage. However, I'm now thinking I might need to add NAC to see the full benefits of DIM?

Have you read or seen anything about NAC causing an initial breakout, I know liver detoxes can do so? What about taking NAC with inositol, would that be too much change to my glucose metabolism?

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm really not sure if it helped at all or not. I took it before DIM and it didn't affect my skin. If it made me break out (like an initial breakout) I would have stopped taking it. I don't think NAC/l-cysteine has "detox" side effects, at least it didn't for me. I take 500mg daily, but I think you can take up to 1600mg or something. Maybe if you take high doses you can experience detox symptoms.

I'm not sure if continuing to take l-cysteine post DIM is helping me keep on track, either! When I forget to take it I don't see a difference in my skin (no breakouts.)

I think you're right about not adding anything else at this point... it's too early to know if DIM alone will be enough. If at 4 months it's still not helping then you could add it as a last test with DIM. Though I think NAC/l-cysteine is awesome, how each individual reacts to each supplement is a mystery until they try it.

You might want to read this article about how NAC acts similarly to Metformin for women with PCOS. This is another article on the subject.

Here is a thread on Soul Cysters where a few women mention that they take both inositol and NAC together. Please note post #14 on there... she ditched metformin and spiro and feels much better on the other supplements! (: Here is another thread specifically about the subject. I also took inositol and l-cysteine together without a problem, well, except for the weight gain but I don't think that's because I was taking l-cysteine.

Hope that helps! (: