Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane Advice Needed Please

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/06/2014 12:48 pm

Hi I am scheduled to start treaprednisolonement on the 20th of september. I have been prescribed 20mg (30tablets) and advised to take one every other day.

I am a 36yo female.

I use lush fresh farmacy to wash, dermalogica active moist for moisturiser and aloe vera gel on top of moisturiser, I use tea tree oil on acne outbreaks as needed.

any advice would be appreciated on skincare whilst on roaccutane. How can I treat outbreaks.

My skin is very oily, I get hormonal acne which is moderate and takes months to clear. I have cysts, pustules, white heads and black heads and tiny spots the size

of pins in clusters.

My dermatologist has prescribed prednisolone as a precaution to hrlp with painful cysts but the side affects sound quite scary!

I would value any advice given as I am quite worried about the side affects of roaccutane. Mental health exists within my family, although I have no problems I am worried.

MemberMember
(@nicolea91)

Posted : 08/07/2014 8:19 pm

First I want to tell you Goodluck!! The side effects can be tough but if you hang in there you WILL see progress. I am currently about to start my 3rd month tomorrow and I am very pleased with it so far. I have had some kinda crazy side effects (as you can see in my blog) but I've been hanging in there. Currently I use CeraVe face wash and haven't had to use any lotion on my face really. I bought a Pond's facial moisturizer but I've only used a very small amount around my nose a few times.

They tell you not to use anything on your face except the wash and moisturizer (no spot treatments) atleast my dermatologist told me this. But, not gonna lie.. during my initial breakout I had some decent white heads that I couldn't take so I used a spot treatment a few times. However, I found that my initial breakouts came on and popped up very quickly and then went away quite quickly, sometimes before I would even do anything to them.

Also, I have been on meds for chronic depression for like 7-8 years and didn't think much of that.. Well, I learned not to mess around with that. I guess it's not a very common side effect but it is a definite possibility, especially if you have a history of mental illness, and that it can be serious. I experienced this last week before realizing that it was probably from the Accutane, so atleast I am now aware and try to keep an eye on my behavior and let others know to watch as well. I would suggest maybe letting someone close to you know, just so they can keep an eye out for any odd behavior just in case.

I wish you the best of luck & feel free to ask any questions.. People on here tend to be very helpful.

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/12/2014 7:17 am

Thanks Nicole for you reply and advice!

I'm scheduled to start on the 13th of September and to be honest the dread has been replaced with excitement to start as I am having the worst PMS breakout ever. I have 15 spots ranging from about 4/5 whitehads and ten pustules. Maybe its my skin getting me use to full on breakouts ; / My breakouts are almost always pustules that give me intense pain.

I have just bought some aloe vera with tea tree and arnica to see if that will take the swelling down.

My skin care at present is geared towards greasy/oily skin. I will be changing this once I commence treatment.

I have not heard of Cerave face wash, is this good? i'm really wary of using new face wash and moisturiser as this can make me breakout! Just looking at what other people are using. So confused!!!

Glad your treatment is working wll for you and I will have a look at your blog now.

Emma.

MemberMember
(@nicolea91)

Posted : 08/12/2014 8:36 am

I was super excited and just anxious to get things going before I started.. I looked on here at some blogs while waiting to start, but I never really paid attention or knew of the possibility of serious severe side effects so I didn't freak out about those until after I had already started haha.

I've never thought to use aloe vera with tea tree oil, I would've been afraid it would cause breakouts. I might have to look into that.

CeraVe is a really good skin care product, they have moisturizers and what not too. Most dermatologists recommend CeraVe or Cetaphil because they are very mild and sensitive. They've got other ingredients in them, I don't think they have Salicylic Acid and what not.

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 08/12/2014 9:10 am

Hi I am scheduled to start treaprednisolonement on the 20th of september. I have been prescribed 20mg (30tablets) and advised to take one every other day.

I am a 36yo female.

I use lush fresh farmacy to wash, dermalogica active moist for moisturiser and aloe vera gel on top of moisturiser, I use tea tree oil on acne outbreaks as needed.

any advice would be appreciated on skincare whilst on roaccutane. How can I treat outbreaks.

My skin is very oily, I get hormonal acne which is moderate and takes months to clear. I have cysts, pustules, white heads and black heads and tiny spots the size

of pins in clusters.

My dermatologist has prescribed prednisolone as a precaution to hrlp with painful cysts but the side affects sound quite scary!

I would value any advice given as I am quite worried about the side affects of roaccutane. Mental health exists within my family, although I have no problems I am worried.

Firstly, it will be the best decision you have ever made!

Try not to use any products apart from moisturiser when on Roaccutane as your skin will be chronically dry. Vaseline is a must for your lips and I used to pile it on before I went to bed as my lips became extremely dry!

I know it's easier said then done but try not to think about the side effects or you'll think every little thing is down to taking Roaccutane! I had no side effects apart from the dryness and I know 2 other people who had the same side effects.

Good luck with it! I am currently waiting for my appointment in Manchester for my scarring! x

MemberMember
(@welshy)

Posted : 08/12/2014 10:00 am

Good luck!

Just a simple face wash and moisturiser are all you need. Are you in the UK? The simple hydrating face wash is what i used for my course along with cetaphil cleanser to remove make up. Both are very gentle. Simple hydrating moisturiser and cetaphil lotion are both good moisturisers. Get a good body moisturiser too and stock up on lip balms. You may need something heavy duty for your Lips.....I ordered some aquaphor and used it at night. Brilliant stuff!

Don't pop or pick and look after yourself. You will have clear skin before you know it!

Also.. I had bad dandruff too.....just in case you want to get some shampoo ready!!

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/12/2014 10:38 am

I was super excited and just anxious to get things going before I started.. I looked on here at some blogs while waiting to start, but I never really paid attention or knew of the possibility of serious severe side effects so I didn't freak out about those until after I had already started haha.

I've never thought to use aloe vera with tea tree oil, I would've been afraid it would cause breakouts. I might have to look into that.

CeraVe is a really good skin care product, they have moisturizers and what not too. Most dermatologists recommend CeraVe or Cetaphil because they are very mild and sensitive. They've got other ingredients in them, I don't think they have Salicylic Acid and what not.

I have used aloe vera for a while and it is good for calming the skin and reducing inflamation. It is also moisturising. Give it a try!

I will get some cetaphil as I have read on a few posts that this is good.

Emma.

I am a 36yo female.

of pins in clusters.

Try not to use any products apart from moisturiser when on Roaccutane as your skin will be chronically dry. Vaseline is a must for your lips and I used to pile it on before I went to bed as my lips became extremely dry!

I know it's easier said then done but try not to think about the side effects or you'll think every little thing is down to taking Roaccutane! I had no side effects apart from the dryness and I know 2 other people who had the same side effects.

Good luck with it! I am currently waiting for my appointment in Manchester for my scarring! x

Thanks for the advice. I supopse we tend to read more on the negatives rather than focus on the positives! I would be intrested to know how you get on with the scarring, good luck.

Can you reccomend a decent mosituriser that won't block pores??

Good luck!

Just a simple face wash and moisturiser are all you need. Are you in the UK? The simple hydrating face wash is what i used for my course along with cetaphil cleanser to remove make up. Both are very gentle. Simple hydrating moisturiser and cetaphil lotion are both good moisturisers. Get a good body moisturiser too and stock up on lip balms. You may need something heavy duty for your Lips.....I ordered some aquaphor and used it at night. Brilliant stuff!

Don't pop or pick and look after yourself. You will have clear skin before you know it!

Also.. I had bad dandruff too.....just in case you want to get some shampoo ready!!

Hi,

Yes I am in the uk. I actually tried the simple wash as an experiment before I start my treatment in Septemebr and have broke out :-(

I'm compiling a list and stocking up on things before I start it, have to be prepared!

Hard not to pop them as I have some rather huge pustules that I know if i pop them will relive the pain. My skin scars easily so Im actually resisting the urge to pop them in preperation for September!

It is awful looking in the mirrow and seeing a huge yellow spot the size of a pea under my eyebrow but i guess i'm going to have to get use to this.

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/12/2014 12:44 pm

This is my skin before I start roaccutane in September. Can't believe how swollen the one is under eyebrow. All the surrounding eye area looks infected :-( tempted to see my gp see if I can take something till I start roaccutane.

Feeling low and this is 1st time I have shown anyone my face with no make up.

Can anyone recommend anything to use before I start in September? Minocycline does not work for me and nor do others like augmentin.

Help!!!!post-409600-0-68497700-1407865225_thumb.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/12/2014 10:01 pm

you're beautiful regardless.....

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/13/2014 7:15 am

Thank you, I most certainly do not feel it. neutral.gif

MemberMember
(@welshy)

Posted : 08/13/2014 7:35 am

I was gonna say minocycline as I did a few months on it along with dans regime before starting and it really helped!

Did it not work at all for you?

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 08/13/2014 8:54 am

I have used aloe vera for a while and it is good for calming the skin and reducing inflamation. It is also moisturising. Give it a try!

I will get some cetaphil as I have read on a few posts that this is good.

Emma.

>

I am a 36yo female.

of pins in clusters.

Thanks for the advice. I supopse we tend to read more on the negatives rather than focus on the positives! I would be intrested to know how you get on with the scarring, good luck.

Can you reccomend a decent mosituriser that won't block pores??

Good luck!

Hi,

Yes I am in the uk. I actually tried the simple wash as an experiment before I start my treatment in Septemebr and have broke out (

I'm compiling a list and stocking up on things before I start it, have to be prepared!

Hard not to pop them as I have some rather huge pustules that I know if i pop them will relive the pain. My skin scars easily so Im actually resisting the urge to pop them in preperation for September!

It is awful looking in the mirrow and seeing a huge yellow spot the size of a pea under my eyebrow but i guess i'm going to have to get use to this.

I used E45 cream and put thick layers on (I still do sometimes as my skin is still dry)

I have an appointment at Salford Royal on the 2nd September for a patch test of laser but I'm not sure if to go ahead to be honest. Have you got scarring? x

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/13/2014 12:16 pm

Lots of scarring, old and new. It's not as

Concerning as my active acne though. Luckily, I can use a good foundation to cover the marks but obviously there is no disguising pustules!!!

I am worrying about what to use skin care wise when on treatment. If I used e45 now my skin would errupt into a million pustules. I'm using organic aloe Vera gel to moisturise at the moment and the dregs of quinoderm face wash which has been discontinued I believe, boo! What are your concerns regarding the laser treatment? Have you ever tried microdermabrasion? I tried this for four month and had amazingly clear skin. It was to expensive to continue with at 85 a session. I went to Diane Nivern in prestwich, she is amazing. Also had a peel done there a few times when my acne was severe and results were amazing. Again, costly!

I was gonna say minocycline as I did a few months on it along with dans regime before starting and it really helped!

I was on it for six month and had a bad breakouts all the time so I figured taking antibiotics that weren't working was a no brainer and came off them

In January. Just seems this last few month my skin has worsened. No rhyme or reason! At 36 enough is enough. What I skipped in none acne teenage years I have more than made up for in adult hood. 14 years of on and off mild to moderate acne!

I also had eurythromycin in my 20's which was a fail. Then zinert applied topically, panoxyl, quinoderm to name a few. I'm in the roaccutane last chance saloon in September. If that does not work ill

Be on the road to nowhere!

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 08/13/2014 12:56 pm

Lots of scarring, old and new. It's not as

Concerning as my active acne though. Luckily, I can use a good foundation to cover the marks but obviously there is no disguising pustules!!!

I am worrying about what to use skin care wise when on treatment. If I used e45 now my skin would errupt into a million pustules. I'm using organic aloe Vera gel to moisturise at the moment and the dregs of quinoderm face wash which has been discontinued I believe, boo! What are your concerns regarding the laser treatment? Have you ever tried microdermabrasion? I tried this for four month and had amazingly clear skin. It was to expensive to continue with at 85 a session. I went to Diane Nivern in prestwich, she is amazing. Also had a peel done there a few times when my acne was severe and results were amazing. Again, costly!

I was on it for six month and had a bad breakouts all the time so I figured taking antibiotics that weren't working was a no brainer and came off them

In January. Just seems this last few month my skin has worsened. No rhyme or reason! At 36 enough is enough. What I skipped in none acne teenage years I have more than made up for in adult hood. 14 years of on and off mild to moderate acne!

I also had eurythromycin in my 20's which was a fail. Then zinert applied topically, panoxyl, quinoderm to name a few. I'm in the roaccutane last chance saloon in September. If that does not work ill

Be on the road to nowhere!

My scarring is pitted so a microdermabrasion wouldn't do me much good to be honest.

My concerns are that a lot of people, including the derm said my scarring is mild.

There are risks involved including further scarring and hyper pigmentation and I am further at risk of this because of Roaccutane. It's a tough one because I've gone through a lot of ballache to get to this stage!

I need to make a decision in the next couple of weeks though and I don't think I'd get this opportunity on the NHS again

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/13/2014 1:17 pm

I say go for the patch test and take it from there.

Like you say, you might not get this oppurtunity again.

Everything we use or do regarding our skin is a risk and a concern. I had the oppurtunity to take roaccutane back in 2009. I chickened out and regret that as I sit here now with a full on outbreak with more scarring on the horizon!

Don't regret not doing it and deal with with what may happen if and when is does happen.

MemberMember
(@welshy)

Posted : 08/13/2014 1:21 pm

Why do you have to wait til September? Sorry if I missed this somewhere!

MemberMember
(@determinedtowin)

Posted : 08/14/2014 3:25 am

I say go for the patch test and take it from there.

Like you say, you might not get this oppurtunity again.

Everything we use or do regarding our skin is a risk and a concern. I had the oppurtunity to take roaccutane back in 2009. I chickened out and regret that as I sit here now with a full on outbreak with more scarring on the horizon!

Don't regret not doing it and deal with with what may happen if and when is does happen.

When I first went on Roaccutane I was only 21 but at 17 my parents wanted to try everything because of the horror stories so I skipped it at that time for them really (silly I know) but to be fair it was a lot hard to get 10 years ago IMO so it didn't make much difference. I just wish I could have prevented the scarring

I'm so glad I did it though but I still have problem skin i.e. redness etc

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/14/2014 3:59 am

I can deal with the redness it's just the rock solid pustules that don't come to a head for a month! The pain is unbelievable!

Blood test done today so all being well I can start in September!

Let me know how you get on.

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 08/14/2014 4:07 am

I also get the painful red pustules, they are horrid aren't they? Gosh I hope this works and I never get one ever again!!!

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 08/14/2014 4:29 am

Me too! I have one on my cheek that i can see out of the corner of my eye. Chin distorted to with this eruption!

I almost put some local anesthetic gel on it last night as the pain was horrible.

1 month 'till roaccutane!

surprised.gif

MemberMember
(@emmyloublood)

Posted : 10/17/2014 7:55 am

Forgot about this log, see update on here