Notifications
Clear all

Acne Only Below Cheek Bones?

MemberMember
(@equine)

Posted : 08/02/2014 6:16 am

Hello, I'm new here! I'm a 21 year old female.

I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction, give adivce, maybe help point out causes, or maybe is strugging with the same thing?

I have pimples and get frequent cystic acne ONLY on one spot of my face, right below my cheek bones/in the hollows of my cheeks. I don't get it anywhere else! not on my forhead, or chin, neck, or anywhere else on my body.....

I've been to the derm who wanted to perscribe accutane but couldn't because I'm breastfeeding and nothing is safe to take while breastfeeding. I eat fairly healthy, I wash my face twice a day, I use non clogging makeup (when I do wear it), I change my pillows all the time, I clean my cell phone off.. I just can't figure it out

Please help!

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 08/04/2014 1:55 pm

Hiya Equine. I'm a 21 year female and I've also had cystic acne in the hollows of my cheeks, normally during a particularly bad breakout or in the initial breakout stage after starting a new product. I do get some on my forehead, but the cheeks are the worst and it's left me with scars too. I would love to know why it affects this part of the face because hormonal acne is meant to stick to the jawline -isn't it?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/04/2014 9:27 pm

It sounds like you have hormonal acne.

Hormonal acne is usually treated with a daily dose of Spironolactone, which is also a blood pressure medicine. Since you are breastfeeding you may not be able to take it yet since it works by lowering testosterone levels.

In the meantime, you may find success with topical treatments such as Aczone. It is fairly expensive but there are coupons that your doctor can give you to take to the pharmacy.

I would look into ways to lower testosterone levels and to regulate hormones. Spearmint tea has been proven to lower testosterone. Remember to discuss any of these options with your doctor since your health is very important for your baby too.

MemberMember
(@equine)

Posted : 08/05/2014 3:56 am

Thank-you very much for the responses. I had my blood hormone levels drawn by the family Dr ($900 later) and was told nothing was out of the ordernary. Maybe I will call again and ask for an indepth review of the results.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/05/2014 2:13 pm

*URL Removed, see board rules; http://www.acne.org/board-rules.html Acne.org Moderator Team*

This link suggests cleaning your pillowcase more often, and your cell phone, as well as dental health.

And don't underestimate Eastern diagnoses. If you have asthma or live in a polluted city (I have both and am being treated for deficient lung chi as part of my acne protocol)

*URL Removed, see board rules; http://www.acne.org/board-rules.html Acne.org Moderator Team*