Notifications
Clear all

On Accutane For Over 20 Days.. No Results

MemberMember
(@aysh230)

Posted : 08/01/2014 10:32 am

Hi guys

this is going to sound stupid but I had no where else to go

so I am on 20 mg of accutane. My derm said I should see results in a week but it has been over 20 days and I still haven't. In fact I am still getting new pimples. The only evidence of the pill is my dry skin and terribly cracked lips.

Is this normal? Is it because I am on a low dosage?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/01/2014 4:21 pm

Your derm is wrong to put you on a timeline with accutane. Some people clear up early in their course, some much later, some not until much after. Most will and do get the dreaded initial breakout.

Keep your head up, it will get better

MemberMember
(@abi1791)

Posted : 08/02/2014 7:48 am

From what I've read on here and from my experience I don't think many people see any results until a few weeks into the treatment so don't worry it will get better you just have to give it time :) and yes dry skin and lips is completely normal

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 08/02/2014 10:26 am

In the 20 day mark,my face was a disaster. Just wait. Be patience. Don't look yourself in the mirror every single day. Evade them. You will see as the time passes how people will tell you "Your face looks better",and that's all what you need to keep taking accutane and stop worrying about it.

MemberMember
(@somehelp123)

Posted : 08/03/2014 2:37 am

results within a week? Are you kidding me? Some people have to go on a second round of accutane because the first round wasn't enough. I'm not saying this is your case but come on...give it at least 3 months before you start to worry about drug not working...

MemberMember
(@aysh230)

Posted : 08/04/2014 6:35 am

Okay thank you everyone I'm relieved. I guess I was getting a bit anxious because my derm said results will show in a week. Can't wait 'till the results do start to show. Thank you again

Francopld liked
MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/04/2014 3:16 pm

Just to give you an idea, at week one on Accutane there was no change in my acne at all. After month one my face was a mess to say the least. At about month 3 my face started to settle down. I was clear at month 5 and acne stopped cropping up completely at month 6 so I did a 8 month course.

It varies from person to person but for your doc to tell you that you would see improvement in a weeks time, was nothing more than setting you up for disappointment.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 08/05/2014 12:28 pm

Like everyone else has said your dermatologist is wrong to tell you that you will see results in 1 week. If anything, you may notice your skin getting a little worse in the first month to two months. It isn't until month 3 that most people report improvement.

MemberMember
(@kagt)

Posted : 08/05/2014 2:07 pm

I agree that everyone is diff. I never had a a bad IB at all and my face was clear after month one. But I have or had mild acne. I am in month 3 and plan to complete 5 months. My side effects are dry lips and ocassional soarness...but I work out as well.

MemberMember
(@harry1993)

Posted : 08/05/2014 3:18 pm

My derm said I should see results

Maybe they simply meant it will start to dry out your skin?

MemberMember
(@icterical)

Posted : 08/11/2014 3:40 pm

I'm on day 25 now and I'm starting to see small results, i.e. my forehead which was extremely broken out and lumpy before is now mostly smooth, apart from a few (3) larger blemishes which have popped up. I'd be interested to see how you're progressing, have you seen any change since your last post? I am also on 20mg a day.